Internet Firewalls Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 06:00 PM

Do you do a lot of downloading? Do you use file-sharing software? Do you visit online game sites and install a lot of plug-ins and applications?

It sounds like what you have should be enough as long as you don't download install every single thing that comes your way. Just make sure that it's up-to-date and enjoy the high-speed connection .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 08:24 PM
Member #1

Quote:
I currently have, AVG Free Edition, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware
2007, SpywareBlaster, PC Doc Pro, System Mechanic 5, HiJack This, and
CW Shreeder.
If used properly You really have more than you need.

The one thing you don't seem to have is a firewall. Do you use a router?

post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 11:12 PM

I don't see a firewall either. Maybe Windows Firewall is being used but that is not recommended as there are much better options available. Comodo Firewall is free and the new version is very good. A hardware internet firewall/router is also recommended. There are some inexpensive models available and they go on sale frequently.

post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 11:56 PM

I have often said the best approach to security is common sense. Stay away from suspicious websites, never give your personal details and banking information to suspicious websites, never open attachments from unknown senders and scan attachments from known senders before opening them, and if you have kids using the Internet keep a close eye on them.

It's helpful to use Firefox with extensions like Ad-block and noscript as these alone will eliminate possible malicious scripts. Avoid using IE if you can, at least on the default settings. Common sense and these 2 Firefox extensions alone will reduce your chances of picking up anything from anyone.

Your best defense is layered defense. Keep your operating system patched with the most current updates. Make sure you have a firewall running and pay attention to outgoing traffic (i.e. Komodo is exceptionally good and free too), make sure you use quality anti-virus and keep the definitions updated daily.

There are several anti-malware tools available, some cost money and some are free. No program will give you the perfect result so it's best to research online before choosing one. Paying for an anti-malware program does not necessaily mean you'll have greater protection as oppose to using a free one. Also beware that some criminals actually put up fake anti-malware and anti-spyware programs and use them to deliver malicious code onto people's computers.
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 04:03 AM

Get zonealarm the free edition firewall from zonelabs?

Look carefully....there is a free ongoing edition. They just don't want you to find it.
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 05:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstream View Post
Stay away from suspicious websites,
I agree with most of what powerstream said, but staying away from suspicious sites can give a false sense of security. The bad guys are using several approaches to nullify the security of that behaviour...
  • Compromising well-known, trusted sites, like the Super Bowl team sites several months ago
  • Related to this is submitting malicious ads to 3rd-party ad-servers that are use by many well-known, trusted domains
  • "Typo-squatting", i.e. creating domain names that are one keystroke typo away from a well-known, trusted domain.
  • "Pharming", i.e. compromising DNS servers, so that EVEN IF YOU TYPE A DOMAIN NAME IN EXACTLY CORRECT, you still go to a different site.
You're less likely to get infected at well-known, trusted sites, but the risk is not zero.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 01:22 PM

I agree. Careful internet usage is necessary but the bad guys will exploit any security hole they find. Some of the most notorious worms require no action by the computer owner at all. Simply connecting directly to the internet will infect a vulnerable computer.

Dennism3, Zonealarm Free is not a very good firewall. It was once but falls short compared to others now available. I recommend the free Comodo firewall.
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 01:51 PM

Agreed about Zone Alarm. It used to be the best but now it's complete garbage. I wouldn't say the takeover by Checkpoint ruined it but rather the greed of Zone Labs even before being bought. They started a good thing and really ****ed it up by literally pushing the commercial paid versions on people. Now even the free version is bloated garbage and the current free version is extremely limited in features.
post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-15, 05:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

ofeld, check out the rest of this thread I've merged yours into since it covers the info you need - namely the wisdom of having a firewall on your future high speed connection.

post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 11:31 AM

Here is a very good site that compares most of the personal firewalls out there.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/win...ts-results.php

and the new link although it seems fewer products compared

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/

I've used Outpost for some time but it's interesting to note that the top ranked choices are 2 free products; Comodo & Online Armor.

I also get a kick out of the fact the Windows XP's built-in firewall got a 0 score. Keep that in mind.
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 08:08 PM
Veteran

I have just recently started using Astaro ASG as it is free for home use and has full updates for free as well.

I have been on it for about a week and I love it. It is so much more than just a firewall. It is a spam filter, HTTP proxy, virus scanner, internet filter (Think parental controls) and so much more than the average home user needs.

It is a bit complicated even though all the configuration is via a web interface but it is not so difficult as to be impossible. There is just a LOT of options and features and it is a bit overwhelming at first.

The only cost for this setup is the provisioning of an old(er) PC for it to run on.
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 11:48 AM

Quote:
the top ranked choices are 2 free products; Comodo & Online Armor.
I've seen that opinion on another site. (Lost the link.) Online Armor was recommended for people who want ease of use with good protection. Comodo provides slightly better protection and more configuration options at the expense of more complexity and more popups. (Comodo can get annoying at times.)
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 02:29 AM
Rookie

I heard comodo firewall is a good product but anybody tell which anti virus that they know well with this firewall.
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 02:54 AM

I've been useing Avast for years with Comodo and they are perfect together. Be warned Comodo has quite a few pop up warnings to start with, can get annoying but just stick with it and in a short time it will "learn" how to handle everything itself.

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-07-08, 06:35 PM
Premium Supporter

Got very irritated with AVGFree 8.0's constant pop-ups and requests for updates, so I switched to Avast. At the same time, I switched from Zone Alarm to Comodo.

So far, so good...

Last edited by eljay; 2008-07-08 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in