Internet Firewalls Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 03:57 PM

http://www.portforward.com/ is a good site on guiding you on how to forward the appropriate ports on your router for things such as Xbox Live. I would say try forwarding first, and if that doesn't work, use the DMZ method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 04:00 PM

I would greatly appreciate that...

The model of the router is:

Netgear WGR614 v.6 I believe...

Once again, thanks...
post #63 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 04:06 PM
Veteran

post #64 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 04:09 PM

Thank you both for your help...

I will be home soon and will try this; also one more question if I may:

It asks to create a Static IP address... do I not already have one of these?

Thanks...
post #65 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 04:18 PM
Veteran

The 360 is probably set to use DHCP which has the router assigning it an IP address (dynamic IP). This means the number can change as other devices make DHCP requests for IP numbers. If the router supports it (I closed the documentation), you can assign an IP number to a MAC (specific ethernet hardware address) so that every time that device makes a DHCP request it gets the same IP number. Or you can just assign the 360 a specific IP address (static IP) outside of the DHCP range (which will be specified in your router's setup screen somewhere). For example, if the DCHP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, you could configure the XBOX to 192.168.1.151. Then you would use that address for port forwarding of the ports you need to open.
post #66 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 04:24 PM

I apologize as I am very slow; I understand the Static IP, but am confused as to how I would determine my DCHP range...

Also, I am pretty sure that I chose Dynamic IP somewhere, but am not sure where I can change this within my XBOX.

Thanks again... for your help and patience.
post #67 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 05:06 PM
Veteran

Pull up the routers interface on a web browser and select the "LAN IP Setup" menu option on the left. On that screen, the section in the middle defines the Starting and Ending addresses for dynamic IPs. Any number outside that range (aside from .1 which is the router itself) is free to use for static IPs.

I'm not sure where the ethernet configuration information is on the XBOX...I'm sure someone else here can give you that info.
post #68 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 05:18 PM

Thank you much... I will let you know how it goes.
post #69 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 12:22 PM

The update:

I tried with the best of my knowledge and my poor ability to follow directions to create the port forwarding (with the Static IP address), but inevitably failed.

The only thing that was an issue with my XBOX was that my NAT was strict (don't know the exact meaning).

Anyway, I called Netgear and the tech ran me through what I needed to do; inevitably, I turned off the SPI Firewall and created a DMZ for the router (given to the XBOX). I was told that the other firewalls I have would be more than enough; in addition (because I am paranoid), I turned up the security level on McAfee.

Everything works fine as of right now; I based everything I did off what the rep said. If anyone has anymore advice/input I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks again...
post #70 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 01:20 PM

Firewall Protection Question

This is a continuation of another topic, because I have heard many different things about this:

If I have a firewall through MS and McAfee, is it alright to disable the SPI firewall through the wireless router (given the fact that I have a security KEY (WEP/WPA)?

Netgear actually told me themselves to disable the firewall of the router and create a DMZ for my XBOX (the whole reason for changing the settings of the firewall).

To sum it up, am I at risk for viruses, hackers, etc. with the router firewall off; or am I okay given the other programs?

Thanks...
post #71 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 01:52 PM

I have the identical router and a 360 and have had no problems. The simplest solution is to ensure UPnP is enabled on the router and the 360 should communicate directly with it and open up it's own ports as required. Simply set all your network settings to auto on the 360 and it should work.

50" Panasonic Rear Projector| Cogeco 6416 | Pioneer VSX-816TX | XBOX 360 | XBOX | Crappy Speakers | Crappier DVD player
post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 02:59 PM

Thanks...

I realize exactly what you are talking about. However, I have one question for you if I may:

What do you set you Advertisement Period and Advertisement Period to Live numbers at?

Thanks again...

Last edited by bleach; 2007-07-11 at 03:08 PM.
post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-14, 06:14 PM

I use a good router with tight settings.
computer likewise.
post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 04:05 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

tyreman, meaning ... what? Tell us about the specifics.

post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-13, 03:03 PM

Smile High Speed Internet & Security ??

Hi,
This is my first post. I am currently on dial up, but I am going to upgrade
to High Speed. My Question is will I need Extra Security once I have High
Speed?

I currently have, AVG Free Edition, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware
2007, SpywareBlaster, PC Doc Pro, System Mechanic 5, HiJack This, and
CW Shreeder.

Is this adequate Protection?

Thanks for any advice....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in