Internet Firewalls Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-10-31, 04:21 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation New Windows attack can kill firewall

Quote:
New Windows attack can kill firewall

By Robert McMillan, IDG News Service, 10/30/06

Hackers have published code that could let an attacker disable the Windows Firewall on certain Windows XP machines.

The code, which was posted on the Internet early Sunday morning, could be used to disable the Windows Firewall on a fully patched Windows XP PC that was running Windows' Internet Connection Service (ICS).
http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...-can-kill.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 08:01 AM

Serious about security? Use a hardware router/firewall!

Anyone who is serious about security is using a hardware router/firewall. If you are not then chances are your are vulnerably.

Here is a good example of the two ....

A software fire wall will let someone into the foyer of your house and then ask them to leave. If they refuse and can force their way thru, then your whole building can be invaded.

With a hardware firewall in inexpensive routers, there is a fence at the curb. The intruder must ask for permission to open the gate to gain access. This permission is not given lightly.

I have had friends/relatives plagued by pop-ups/viruses/trojan horses. Once I installed a router/firewall and AVG anti-virus, all these problems seem to disappear. I also leave the Windows firewall active.

To me, anyone not using a router/firewall is just plane silly given the cost of these devices.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Once I installed a router/firewall and AVG anti-virus, all these problems seem to disappear
Your friends are fortunate they have a techie they can turn to. By the number of open networks I see popping up, it is obvious people don't understand the risks. By people I mean the average Joe. You and I are protected as are our friends, but a large portion of the people on the 'information superhighway' are driving in dangerous territory.

So to use your analogy this is like leaving your door wide open for snooping. From my understanding it would not take a great effort for someone to watch an open network for banking information to pass by.

Last edited by Jake; 2006-11-01 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added last line

post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 11:31 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

That is excellent advice, BHoward, and everyone would do well to look into it asap. Jake is correct too - there are too many people oblivious to the troubles out there.

post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-02, 01:09 AM

A bad thing for newbies though is the settings on the router. My linksys wrt54g was plug & play... just conect the wires and good to go... just one little thing the wireless was default on and unencrypted. Imagine how many inexperienced people just plug it in and leave it?

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDiggler View Post
... just one little thing the wireless was default on and unencrypted. Imagine how many inexperienced people just plug it in and leave it?
Within the short range of my wireless B laptop in a residential area... 3 !!
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango44 View Post
Within the short range of my wireless B laptop in a residential area... 3 !!
Almost the same here in my condo. I have 2 open networks and my router has terrible range.

Regards,
Dan the HDTV Man
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 11:13 AM

Windows FireWall Question

Hi, I have a desktop computer a wireless router and an laptop which forms my small home network. I have a laser printer connected to the desktop computer which is a shared with the laptop. My desktop computer is connect by wire to the router as well I have my high speed internet connected to the router. The wireless side of my network is WEP key protected.

Recently I lost the ability to print from the laptop. I checked all the network and router setups and could not find a problem, however I did find that I cannot ping from my laptop to my desktop computer, but I can ping from my Desktop to the Laptop. At this point I started thinking that there might be a FireWall issue with my Desktop computer. When I went to the Security Center in Windows and clicked on the Windows Firewall I get the following : "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start Windows Firewall/Internet connection (ICS) sharing service?" When I select Yes the next message appears: "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet (ICS) connection sharing service .

Now as I understand it the ICS service is required only if I am sharing a common internet connection between two computers, which I am not. It's interesting that the first error message says that my Firewall settings cannot be displayed, so I don't really know if the Firewall is working or not, however it appears that something is blocking my laptop from "seeing" my desktop computer. I thought I would try to reload service pack 2 to see it that repaired my windows FW, however Microsoft says I already have SP2 installed and I don't need to reinstall. I'm not sure if this was a virius or spyware attack, or if it's something that has just happened.

I have Norton's running every day and 2 different Spyware scanners running everyother day and nothing unusual has been reported. I recently downloaded IE7 and other strange things started to happen shortly after that, perhaps is it related. Any help with getting my Windows Firewall to start up and display it's settings properly would be appreciated.
post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 11:48 AM
Veteran

When I loaded SP2 I had to re-setup the security permissions on both computers to access each others hard drives and the printer. You may also have to set up your MS Windows Network again. None of this takes much time.
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 12:25 PM

You might want to read this thread.
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 10:09 PM

FireWall now working

Thanks to HDTV for the link. Several similar problems were covered but my problem turned out to be that my Windows\system32\WBEM directory was empty. Not sure if it was a virus attack but the thread described how to restore the files and the registery enteries. It took about an hour, but it restored my Fire Wall as well as my computer can now be seen by other computers on my network. Thanks again.
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 07:51 AM

Post Computer/Internet Firewalls Discussion

What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free, that will come with my windows xp and won't slow it down?
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 08:11 AM
Member #1

All firewalls will slow your computer down unless you have a dedicated computer acting as a firewall or hardware.

Why not just use Microsoft firewall?

post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 09:02 AM

Your best bet as Hugh said is Microsoft's firewall. All other firewalls avaliable
free and paid,have more options and protect against more threats which takes more resources away from your computer.
A router, which is not free usually has a built in firewall, gives the same protection as microsoft and does not slow your computer at all.
This option will only stop bad things coming in and make you partially invisable, not stop something inside from sending out like a trojan horse.
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 09:04 AM

Staying on the subject "what can I download for free". If you have an old pc lying around you could use SmoothWall Express software. It's free @ smoothwall.org.

Minimum requirements i486SX, 32 MB Ram, 512MB HDD.
Recommended Pentium (or compatible) or higher, 64MB Ram, 1GB HDD.

Quote:
"SmoothWall Express is an open source firewall distribution based on the GNU/Linux operating system. Linux is the ideal choice for security systems; it is well proven, secure, highly configurable and freely††† available as open source code. SmoothWall includes a hardened subset of the GNU/Linux operating system, so there is no separate OS to install. Designed for ease of use, SmoothWall is configured via a web-based GUI, and requires absolutely no knowledge of Linux to install or use.

††† Free as in beer, libre, freedom. There is a lengthier explanation of "free software" on the GNU website "

Hope this helps.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in