Upgrading a video card: Advantages other than gaming? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 05:27 PM
Veteran

The X1600 Pro on AGP is quite reasonable if you have a 9000 series or a X300 card. If you have an X800 or a 6600GT, then a X1600 Pro AGP is a step backwards in many things but a few things do benefit from the extra tech in the X1000 series.

The X1600XT and X1650XT on PCI-E are a different story. They use GDDR3 ( Or is it DDR3, either way the AGP cards only have DDR2) and are MUCH faster than the Pro AGP cards.

As for video benefits, pretty much anything from the 6600 and the X1000 series and up are all equally good at displaying nicely reproduced video. For HD/BD, you will need a X1600 of some kind or a 7600GT or a HELL of a lot of extra CPU power if you have a slower card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 01:01 AM

Cool

I just move from an AGP ATI 128MB 9800 AIW to an AGP nVidia 256 MB 7600 XS. Speed is a little faster but the 7600 benefits more from the extra RAM. PCI-E? That's a couple of years down the road for me.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-02-12, 12:49 AM

The ATI X1x50 series and up (I think, maybe the X1xxx too) fully support HDCP with actual chip (not the marketing crap in the past). You might need it for HTPC

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-23, 06:06 PM

Advantages of Upgrading a Video Card

I hope there is not a problem with piggy backing on a post. I am looking to purchase an HP p6240f computer with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8300. The board uses an integrated Intel GMA X4500 HD with 32mb integrated shared memoryand has a PCI express x 16 graphics card slot. What are the advantages of upgrading? I am not a gamer. I saw a Galaxy GeForce 8400GS video card rated at 512mb. It is only $29.99. Will this work and is it worth even adding? Any other suggestions for whether to upgrade or not. If you cannot tell, I am a rookie. Thanks in advance. WolfpackRon.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-23, 06:13 PM
Veteran

If you are not going to play ANY games, then you are fine as you are. If you are considering ANY gaming, then get a separate card. The Intel onboard graphics basically suck for any game newer than about 3 to 4 years old.

ATIs new 5750 is about $100 and would last you for a good while and will let you play most games. The 5770 will let you play most games even on a 23" monitor and it is only about $150.

Otherwise, if you are going to consider a card, hold on for a little as there are some expectations that NVidia is going to cut the prices on their GPUs really aggressively to compete with the new cards from ATI. You could possibly end up getting a high end 9000 series or even a GTX 260 for a really good price.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 10:18 PM

If you are running Vista or 7, adding a video card to any system that has on-board graphics will improve the speed of anything that has to do with graphics on your system. Graphic cards have their own CPU which takes the load of processing any graphics away from the system CPU and frees it to deal with other tasks.

Both Vista and 7 are graphics intensive with the Aeroglass GUI. If you add even a modest video card, you should see a noticeable difference in everything from web surfing to image processing. You will even see an improvement in CPU intensive tasks as the CPU no longer has to manage graphics housekeeping for the desktop display.

Before buying a video card, make sure that the power supply in your system is of sufficient wattage for the card. Many low cost brand name systems have low wattage PS units and some are even lacking a PCI express slot on the motherboard. So check these two things before spending money on a card.

Two very important things in a good PC are often overlooked by those who aren't gamers because they don't think they really need them and those are a video card and a decent power supply.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 10:35 PM
Veteran

Actually barcham, if you are referring to WolfpackRon's post, then you are a little bit erroneous with your info. The Intel GMA X4500 HD is an integrated chipset, but it is still a separate chip from the CPU. Although I do not use it personally, that chipset has been advertised as being capable of "full 1080p high-definition video playback, including Blu-ray disc movies". Therefore, if WolfpackRon is a non-gamer, there is probably no reason to spend money on an add-on video card, and the integrated graphics will also consume less power.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 11:13 PM
Veteran

Unless you want to play games released in the last year, or older games on max settings, there's no need to update integrated graphics (provided your computer is not older than 2007ish. 780g+ for AMD, 8200+ for nvidia, and 4xxx+ for intel.)
Basically, google the chipset you have and see if it had bluray/HD/1080p offloading. If yes, it's a newer gen chipset.
(I believe 690g could too, but it's pretty old by now)
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-25, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the replys. I will probably purchase the HP p6240f computer at Staples tomorrow. It is $50 cheaper than Officemax. I will weigh the info. WolfpackRon.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-10-29, 12:43 AM

Look into [email protected], GPU client. This will allow you to put your spare video hardware cycles to use for the good of mankind (research into various diseases).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in