Utorrernt... port forwarding... and other questions. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-10, 12:59 PM

You only have 1 internet address - the one assigned to your Linksys. Something like canyouseeme is displaying your public address.

Any home computer you own is essentially sharing this address and any web service trying to come in would need to be told specifically where to go. Because as you see, all it can find is your Internet address. Programs like uTorrent are configurable others are not which can make using multiple computers use the same service hard.

Your Linksys router has a default address of 192.168.1.1 that you use to connect and make changes. By default it also assigns internal address to your network in the range starting from 192.168.1.100. Only the last digit is significant for you and why you only need to change that.

At one of your computers, get a command prompt. (Start/Run and then type cmd)

then type: ipconfig
You will see a bunch of stuff including a line for IP Address. That is your computers internal ip address and the one you enter in the IP Address field on your Linksys to have the gateway pass traffic from the internet directly to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-10, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

heybirder: Thanks again.

Will run ipconfig tonight.

So.... when done, should I expect to see a number along the lines of:

192.168.1.????

Since I can only change the very last number, I am expecting to see 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 or 192.168.1.whatever.

Each computer will have a different number I assume. I was confused because my "Internet address" IP # is quite different than the 192.168.1 #.

And I didn't see a way to completely change the # within Port Forwarding.

So run ipconfig tonight, change the last number to what I see, and make sure the port number is the same as I have set up within' Utorrent.

Should I open that port within Windows XP firewall, or will just adding utorrent to the exceptions list be good enough?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-10, 11:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDguy View Post
Just checked my Router settings.... UPNP is "disabled"
You're getting good advice from heybirder, but go back onto your router and change that UPNP setting to "enable" it. If that works correctly, you can avoid all this business of setting up port forwarding on the router.

From the uTorrent setup page
Quote:
Using UPnP

Newer router models often have the UPnP protocols built in (Universal Plug 'n Play). Check your router's documentation for instructions on how to enable it, and then enable UPnP in µTorrent:

* Go to Options > Preferences > Connections, check "Enable UPnP port mapping."
Once you get UPNP enabled, run that test in the torrent client to see if it reports your incoming connections are working now. You may need to run the test twice... I find that sometimes the ports need to be triggered first before they will report as being open.

As for Windows firewall, you should be OK with just making the torrent client an exception.

If the UPNP doesn't do the trick then keep following heybirder's advice to set up the port forwarding on the router properly. Thanks for updating the picture... as I suspected your IP addresses (all using 192.168.1.1) were wrong and heybirder is helping you to fix that up.

Mike / technut

Last edited by technut; 2007-01-10 at 11:30 PM.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Getting there guys....

Ok, the whole finding IP address.... changing the router settings went very well indeed!

On my old machine there are still some speed issues.

Starting getting this error:

"An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full."

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php

"There is also a registry setting in Windows 2000/XP/2003 that can cause this error. Read this Microsoft KB article for further information and a fix. KB196271"

Support tells me:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/Q196271

"If you try to set up TCP connections from ports that are greater than 5000, the local computer responds with the following WSAENOBUFS (10055) error message"

Using Port #45682 on this computer.

So open Regedit and find the folder the mention:

"Locate the following subkey in the registry, and then click Parameters:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\P arameters"

It says to:

"On the Edit menu, click New, and then add the following registry entry:
Value Name: MaxUserPort
Value Type: DWORD
Value data: 65534
Valid Range: 5000-65534 (decimal)
Default: 0x1388 (5000 decimal)"

Now when I click on "Edit... New" while still in the "Parameters" folder I don't see any option do add those values.

And there I stopped.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 02:59 PM

Try right clicking on the right hand side of the screen. You should be able to add a new DWORD. Rename it to MaxUserPort and set the value to 65534.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Done!

Didn't see anywhere to add the file two lines:

'Valid Range: 5000-65534 (decimal)
Default: 0x1388 (5000 decimal)"

Time for a reboot and see what happens.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 11:34 AM

Sidebar

DVDGuy,

A bit off subject, but it looks to me like your PC has a winsock error/failure. If so, you will likely be having issues with networking, internet, email, etc.

If this is true, I would recommend you backup your registry and run the WinSockFix application from htp://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html & if you are still having network related issues afterwards, try and restore your TCP stack via going to DOS (CMD) & enter'g....

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (enter)

netsh winsock reset (enter & reboot)

following, you should be back to "normal" (whatever that means )...

P2E
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-16, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

"A bit off subject, but it looks to me like your PC has a winsock error/failure."

Before I go too far.... why do you think that? Something in the .jpgs that triggered your concern?
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-01-16, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to say thanks go technut, heybirder and ihdtv for their help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in