CAT 5 Telephone? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-02-16, 05:45 PM

It does not work. I wish!

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-02-17, 11:30 PM

Hmm, it is not like I'm an expert but you don't seem to be getting any other replies...

As I understand it, pins 3, 4, 5, and 6 are needed for 10/100 speeds. Connect the same wire to like pins at each end and it ought to work. There are industry standards to help keep the techs from going insane, of course, but I don't know what pairs (colours) you have in the telephone cable. The instruction sheet that came with each of the Leviton keystone jacks I used had a diagram showing the pin connections and the two common wiring standards.

Hope this helps, but remember--I'm an accountant!

Craig
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-02-18, 01:36 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I probably used pins 1-4.

Anyway, here something about accountants... Two doctors in the operating theatre was opening up the gut of an accountant. The first doctor says.. holy smoke, this accountant has all his intestines lined up in columns. The second doctor replied... not surprising at all, given it is his profession; the other day, I opened up an engineer; his intestines are not only lined up in columns, but also colour coded.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-02-19, 11:36 AM
Veteran

You can't use telephone wiring for ethernet.

You MIGHT be able to use cat3 for 10bt, but you really should be using cat5e or cat6 if you expect any performance.
You would use 1,2,3 and 6, 1&2 on one twisted pair, 3&6 on the other.

If you insist on not replacing non-compliante wire, look into wireless, powerline ethernet, or PNA networking.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-02-19, 11:52 AM

Thanks, but a llittle too late. I found out the hard way. For ethernet to work, it has to be twisted pair otherwise the signal will be lost over the very short distance.

BTW, I am on wireless. Just want to improve my thru put because I'll be sending video over it to my TV (thru some kind of MVP not yet decided which). I'll have to look into a better antenna or a range entender or an AP.

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 10:10 AM

running hispeed data on your phone wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by e268
Thanks, but a llittle too late. I found out the hard way. For ethernet to work, it has to be twisted pair otherwise the signal will be lost over the very short distance.

BTW, I am on wireless. Just want to improve my thru put because I'll be sending video over it to my TV (thru some kind of MVP not yet decided which). I'll have to look into a better antenna or a range entender or an AP.

There is an easy cheap solution for you to turn your phone line between the two rooms into a 10Mbps connection. VDSL is the solution. I've seen home user products on the following site http://www.broadbandcarrier.net/avphone.htm

you can probably find similar in your area.

What basically happens is you create a DSL line of your own between the two rooms, similar to how the phone company changes your phone line to your house to DSL. best of all you can use it as a phone line still. so you have now converted your phone line into a high speed data connection and a phone line. albeit you won't get 100Mbps but you'll still be doing quite well with up to 15Mbps or more.

basic solution will see you with a small modem like device plugged into the phone socket in each room and that's it. good luck
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 10:26 AM

techb: thanks for the info and link. It says 10/100 mbps in the spec. Have you got more info that it can only do 10 mbps?

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 10:43 AM

Hi...

My home is wired with all Cat5 cabling. I have it it setup where i use 3 pairs (6 wires) for Ethernet, and 1 pair (2 wires for telephone). It works fine. I have 10/100 full duplex - tested with a cable tester. From my research when i originally did it, Cat5 ethernet only uses 3 pairs. The 4th pair can be used for power-over-ethernet, or is utilized in Cat6. I may be wrong, but for what i have running, it works out perfect for me. No problems with phone or network.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-08, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuu101
Hi...

My home is wired with all Cat5 cabling. I have it it setup where i use 3 pairs (6 wires) for Ethernet, and 1 pair (2 wires for telephone). It works fine. I have 10/100 full duplex - tested with a cable tester. From my research when i originally did it, Cat5 ethernet only uses 3 pairs. The 4th pair can be used for power-over-ethernet, or is utilized in Cat6. I may be wrong, but for what i have running, it works out perfect for me. No problems with phone or network.
Hi emuu101,

My house is wired with all Cat5 cabling as well. Now, I am thinking to do something like what you did. Can you give me more info such as where is the best place to get the face plate? Or where can I find more info or any website you recommend regarding splitting the cable into 2? Thx..
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-08, 02:47 PM

Hi,

my setup is like this.

Hardware:

Standard Cat 5e patch panel - I got mine from an old company that went under... but you can get it at places like tigerdirect.

Cat5 keystone jacks - I got mine from home depot, but again, you can get them from places like tigerdirect as well. I used the cat5 keystones for all jacks.... although you could use cat3 for telephone jacks if you like. Doesn't really matter.

5 way telephone splitter - picked it up from the dollar store.

I have a cable tester. Bought it from Home depot. It tests to see if you have any crossed wires, or poor connections. I think it was $50. Maybe you can buy it and return it. Up to you. I still use it for work purposes.

Configuration -

I have to check at home exactly the colour pairs i uses but, I pretty much followed the T568B wiring schema. For data lines, at the patch panel, I connected 3 pairs to one port of the patch panel. I then took the last pair and connected them to another port on the patch panel. So, now on the patch panel, I have one port that is for data, and one for voice. My patch panel has 2 rows of 12 ports. So i designated the top ports to be data. So, when I connected the cable, i terminated the 3 paris on top, and extended one pair to the bottom row.

At the other end, I connected one keystone with the data wires, and another with the voice pair.

I then took a standard phone cable and plugged one end into the voice jack on the patch panel, and the other end into the telephone splitter. Then i plugged the telephone splitter into the main telephone line of the house.

Hope this helps. i'll try to update the colour info when I get home.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-09, 11:00 AM

Thankx and appreciate of your reply.

I still have some questions. Before going on to it, this is my first time doing this and so there might be a situation you may feel the question is 'stupid'...but I just wanna make sure before I start doing anything...hope you don't mind

My house has the Cat5e cables installed in each room and all connect to the hub which is in basement. Last night, I opened one of the wall plate (phone) and noticed only a pair of cables which is blue/white is used...same as the other end in the basement. So, what I wanna do is (each room) to change the wall plate to 2 ports wall plate...one for data where another for voice.

My question is: Does the normal phone cable work if I plug it into the Cat5e keystone jack (If the wall plate has 2 cat5e keystone jacks)? else i would need to get a wall plate with one cat5e and one cat3 keystone jack.

"My patch panel has 2 rows of 12 ports. So i designated the top ports to be data. So, when I connected the cable, i terminated the 3 paris on top, and extended one pair to the bottom row. " I assuming the sentence refer to the hub on basement right? I am not quit understand this part. Why do you use a 12 ports patch panel?

I am thinking to make the another 3 pairs on one rj45 head and plug into a 4-port linksys router...the linksys router will connect to the rogers modem. so this way...all the cat5e cables from each room go to basement will connect to the linksys router..

According to your question above, if you have 2 rows on the panel...each row with 6 ports..what do you mean terminate 3 pairs on top? top of the panel?

Again...thx...I am getting close...will plan to do this or next week...after i gather enough or info..really appreciate..
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-10, 10:47 AM

Quote:
My question is: Does the normal phone cable work if I plug it into the Cat5e keystone jack (If the wall plate has 2 cat5e keystone jacks)? else i would need to get a wall plate with one cat5e and one cat3 keystone jack.
Yes, a standard telephone jack will fit in either a Cat5e keystone or a cat3 keystone. Cat3 stuff is generally a bit cheaper. So if you want to save a little bit of money, you can use cat3 keystones and cat3 jacks for all telephone terminations

Quote:
I assuming the sentence refer to the hub on basement right? I am not quit understand this part. Why do you use a 12 ports patch panel?
Well, actually it is a patch panel. I connect my hub through the patch panel. The short answer to why I use a patch panel - it's cleaner. You don't have to use a patch panel at all. Terminating the end (the one that goes to your basement) is just easier and faster on a patch panel. You can get the same affect using just standard jacks. From one cable you will have 2 jacks connected - one with 3 pairs (cat5 jack) and the other with 1 pair (cat5 or cat3 jacks). Your linksys router setup will work just fine.

Quote:
terminate 3 pairs on top
My patch panel has 2 rows. On one side, there is a female jack and on the back, there are terminations for me to "punch down" (connect) the individual wires. So, to make things neat, on the back of the patch panel I chose to terminate the data cables (3 pairs) to all jacks on the top row. That would leave me with 1 pair that I can then simply connect to a jack on the bottom row. The only reason I did this was to make it neat.

BTW, I have a lot of cable runs. I have 2 cat5 drops to almost every location in my house. I have 16 data runs, about 6 voice runs. Funny though... i run my laptop off my wireless network
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-10, 02:29 PM

Thankx for your reply...will start buying the stuff this week and install next weekend.

wow...16 data? How many data can you split for one cat5 cable? isn't just one data and one voice? my house has like 6 cat5 cables installed..
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 02:18 PM
Veteran

As I said earlier, normal 10/100 ethernet uses only two pair.

That said, it is not recomended to use the same cable for both ethernet and telephone.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 2006-03-18, 11:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
As I said earlier, normal 10/100 ethernet uses only two pair.

That said, it is not recomended to use the same cable for both ethernet and telephone.
i belive this is the case because when your phone lines have an incoming call, the RING Voltage CAN and WILL interfere with your CAT5 Cable.

that said, I decided to run a Cat5E thernet and a seperate telephone run to every room, i did NOT need to run seperate runs foor the telephone, i left them in star topology cus i have no need for smartwiring it into a pbx. it works great, phone and data jacks are all keystone, some of my jacks have coax rg6/u runs as well, perfect for future satelight dish installation, or my new digital stb i just pickedu p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in