Connecting a Router to a Router?? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 12:47 PM

Slave Router

I am using the Slave router's new IP address when trying to access its management interface. The Slave is the wireless router and I cannot access the management page from my laptop via the wireless connection. I also can't access it via a wired connection to the Slave router, or via a wired connection to the Edge router, after I changed the IP address of the Slave. Thanks for taking an interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 01:25 PM

Are you sure you didn't accidentally change the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.2 (instead of 2.2)? If you did accidentally set the address incorrectly, and don't know what it is, you may need to do a factory reset to access the management interface again.

It's not the heat, it's the humility!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 02:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that I changed the address correctly to 2.2 not 1.2 Besides, I thought that I wouldn't be able to access the WAN connection via the wireless connection Edge router (as I am doing right now) if I had set it to 1.2

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I changed the address correctly to 2.2 not 1.2 Besides, I thought that I wouldn't be able to access the WAN connection via the wireless connection Edge router (as I am doing right now) if I had set it to 1.2
I'm not sure I understand your post. Is your wireless connection on the Edgre router, or on the Slave router?

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:38 PM

My wireless connection is via the Slave router. Currently, all wired connections are via the Edge router.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 05:12 PM

I guess there's one thing I should explain about these "routers".

Typically, there are two or three components built into the device. A router, switch and a wireless access point (WAP). Each one has a specific function:

Router
The router's main function is allow multiple devices on your home LAN to share the single IP address assigned to you by your service provided. The router will assign each device an IP address, in configured to do so (DHCP) then allow those devices to communicate to the Internet by translating those addresses allowing your ISP to think there is only one device generating all those connections.

Switch
The switch is the device that allows the various devices on your LAN to communicate with one another. Most residential routers have 4 user ports on the back, but actually have 5 or 6 ports. The 5th port is internally wired to the router, and the 6th is internally wired to the Wireless Access Point, if applicable.

Wireless Access Point
This device essentially extends the LAN segment into the wireless space, and is not usually dependant on the router to function. One exception is that some routers will allow you to put wireless users into their own separate LANs for additional security, but this is essentially done by blocking the traffic between the WAP port and the external switch ports.

Given this information, even though you manage the entire device from the IP address assigned to the router, the components are independant, and even if you lose the ability to manage the device, the switch and Wireless Access Point will continue to operate as configured.

As that clear? No, didn't think so.

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-02-11, 08:23 PM

FYI, I posted earlier in this thread that I was unable to access the Slave Router's 'management' page after changing its IP address to 192.168.2.2 Well, I recently purchased a Palm T|X with WiFi and was unable to make a WiFi connection because it doesn't support the security mode I chose. So, I tried once again to access the Slave (WAP) Router's management page using 192.168.2.2 Success!! I don't know why I couldn't access it before, but it all works fine now. Thanks again for your help.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-03-03, 11:08 AM

Hi Prdufresne,

Since my topic is related to this thread, figured I'd just add to it. Based on your scenario 1 (Cascade the routers), here is what I want to accomplish, using the single IP I get from my ISP:

I have Workstation 1, 2 and 3. I would like WS3 to NOT be able to interact with/see WS1 or WS2. However, I would like WS3 to able to access the internet only. I would like to connect Workstation 3 with wireless in the future, as it sits on another floor.

Does this model look good, especially from a security standpoint:

Internet -> Cable Modem -> Router 1 -> Router 2

Router 1 has WS3 and Router 2 behind it.
Router 2 has WS1 and WS2 behind it.

Router 1 would be a yet to be purchased wireless unit.
Router 2 would be my wired SMC unit.

To simulate this, I used a temp wired Linksys router as Router 1. I connected the SMC's WAN port to a LAN port on the Linksys. I set the SMC to another subnet. I can surf behind both units. Behind SMC/Router 2, I can ping computers behind Linksys/Router 1, but not vice-versa. So, Router 1 trusts Router 2 only. Is this because Router 2 is getting it's WAN IP from Router 1 or, could this be Linksys firewall thing?

Should I run with this model? Is there anything else that anyone can recommend that I should do? Setup MAC Filter on Router 2? Any perceived complications if I choose a wireless router (with wired ports) for Router 1?
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 11:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1rulz
To simulate this, I used a temp wired Linksys router as Router 1. I connected the SMC's WAN port to a LAN port on the Linksys. I set the SMC to another subnet. I can surf behind both units. Behind SMC/Router 2, I can ping computers behind Linksys/Router 1, but not vice-versa. So, Router 1 trusts Router 2 only. Is this because Router 2 is getting it's WAN IP from Router 1 or, could this be Linksys firewall thing?

Should I run with this model? Is there anything else that anyone can recommend that I should do? Setup MAC Filter on Router 2? Any perceived complications if I choose a wireless router (with wired ports) for Router 1?
Since Prdufresne hasn't returned to answer your question yet, I'll offer an answer.

The configuration you are planning should work fine, just as it did in your simulation. No issues in using a wireless router for Router 1.

The reason you can ping from LAN 2 to LAN 1 but not the reverse is because Router 2 is doing NAT firewalling on its WAN port, just like it would if the WAN port were connected to your ISP instead of to Router 1. You can easily send traffic from the LAN out to the WAN, but to make incoming connections from the WAN port to the LAN ports you have to open up exceptions in the firewall on Router 2.

Mike / technut
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-03-05, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the response, Mike.

Something interesting that's been happening since I cascaded the routers...when I fire up the computers in the morning, they can't access the internet (169 IPs). When I reboot Router 1, things are ok for the day. Could this be what people referring to as Double Nat'ing's shakyness? Or, is this an isolated/my router issue?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-03-05, 04:29 PM
Veteran

I don't think this is related to the double NAT. Getting IP addresses in the 169 range in Windows means that DHCP has failed/timed out.

In your configuration both routers should have DHCP enabled. Do all 3 PCs get 169 addresses? That would mean DHCP is failing on both routers, which seems unlikely.

PC's on LAN2 should get their IP address from Router 2 and the PC on LAN1 and the WAN port on Router 2 should be getting their IP address from Router 1.

Next time check which, if any, of the devices managed to get an IP address and which get 169 addresses.

If the problem is only DHCP, then consider assigning fixed/static IP addresses to the PCs and Router 2's WAN port.

Mike / technut
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-03-17, 04:31 AM
Rookie

First I want to say that I'm sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but as it showed up SO high on my google search, I thought that if I could get an answer to this thread that it would help eveyone out.

My issue is with the Verizon FiOS router and connecting my new Linksys Wireless N Router. My goal is to use the Verizon FiOS router simply as is, and then use the Wireless N Router as the Wireless connection end for the network, but also using it's GbE connections for streaming video from my computers to the PS3 I have connected to the network. Then also allowing for me to add a WD ShareSpace [When I save the money to get it that is] (That also happens to be GbE) to my network and stream some HD stuff to the PS3 also (and to my computer also ... ) .

Code:
Verizon FiOS - Actiontec MI424WR (Next Gen) Rev. D (FW: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7)
Cisco Systems - Linksys WRT610N Ver. 1.0 (FW: 1.00.02.10)
So my question is what's the best way to slave the Wireless N router, keeping in mind that it must retain it's GbE quailitys and also keeping in mind that the FiOS router only has 10/100 connections, to facility streaming of content and allowing all connected devices to connect to the internet.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-03-17, 07:55 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Installing both as "routers" and having 2 subnets would be my suggestion. All you GbE stuff plugs into the Linksys router, anything 10/100 can go off the Verizon (or the Linksys to keep it simple if you have the ports). I'm not familiar with FiOS (I've obviously heard of it) so assume you have to use their router rather than simply use the Linksys for everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in