Daytek Monitors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-11, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Daytek Monitors

I want a new 17" monitor. i'm also frugal

is this a good one?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...48&catid=20371

nem, who wants a monitor

The preceding post and all opinions expressed are solely those of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of any other person or business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-12, 07:50 AM
Member #1

Frugal is good but more recently, I have had the chance to see a lot of monitors.

I really think getting a monitor with digital inputs is important. I'm also convinced that if you're going to be using it lot in the next 5 to 10 years, then spending an extra $50 to $100 is well worth it.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-12, 09:43 AM

The only bad is "Analog inputs". For LCD is a visible difference between VGA and DVI connections. The rest sounds OK.

Get this one (on sale) :

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...60&catid=22559

20" with 1600 x 1200 res for 500 $. Good price.

Last edited by adit; 2005-12-12 at 09:54 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-13, 09:11 AM

Arrow

You probably want DVI and a better quality display than Daytek offers. When I purchased, I checked reviews on the web by searching with Google and looked for a good quality monitor at a good price. There are much cheaper places to buy monitors than FS and BB. Check out Staples, Costco, Sams club, Dell.com and the weekly sales at NCIX.com. Samsung, Viewsonic and Dell have some of the best monitors. Samsung some high response time monitors that are good for gaming.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-13, 10:08 AM

FWIW, Dell has a pretty good deal on right now for a 19" LCD:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...HS1&l=en&s=dhs

$369 for the model with DVI input (definitely worth the extra 40 bucks over the other model that's analog only). Free shipping too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-13, 10:51 AM

I agree that spending a little more on a monitor is worth it. Your eyes will thank you.

The Dell monitors are real beauties. Mine has vga and dv-i inputs as well as 4 usb 2.0 jacks (2 in the back and 2 on the side). The side ones are very handy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2005-12-13, 07:23 PM

Monitor

Don't get that Dell. The 20ms response time could have brutal ghosting on games or movies if you play any. Try to get one with 12ms response or less.

I've had good luck with Samsung and Viewsonic. No dead pixels with these guys.

If you live in the Vancouver area check out ATIC Computers http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=Products&cat=11 as they generally have the best prices in town.

For a budget monitor try this one http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=16772 It is a $285 17" with DVI input and also has built in speakers if you need them plus it is 8ms response time.

I highly recommend bumping up to a 19" monitor rather than a 17". In the long run you will be much happier.

Regards,
Dan the HDTV Man
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 12:22 PM

Dell monitor USB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybirder
I agree that spending a little more on a monitor is worth it. Your eyes will thank you.

The Dell monitors are real beauties. Mine has vga and dv-i inputs as well as 4 usb 2.0 jacks (2 in the back and 2 on the side). The side ones are very handy.
Fully agree that the monitor quality is a key component...Heybirder, also have the Dell 1905FP with USB connectors, but have not managed to make them work...currently connected VGA only as was suggested....is there anything to be done to activate the USB connectors?

Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 12:31 PM

I have the 1905FP and use the USB ports on it. All I did was attach the usb cable that came with the monitor to a free one on the computer. Windows finds it as another USB root hub I believe. No special software or tweaking was needed. I made sure my bios is up to date and service pack 2 is installed. I need to find some real world reviews on this monitor for gaming might be buying 2 for home.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 04:41 PM

Dell 1905FP USB

Thanks Poolshark, will hook up all wires, DMI, USB and check alternative displays as well as activate USB's, extra USB's are a nice feature

Lots and lots of toys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in