Gateway FPD2185WH 21" WS Monitor - Anyone have it? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 09:24 AM

Found this VERY lengthy thread discussing this monitor (or it's US equivelant I guess to be more specific). These guys have really done their homework it seems.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....post1028732934

To summarize though:

Seems like there's some issues with colour banding that's pretty apparent as it comes right out of the box. Seems like a lot of people there have been able to fix it by manually overriding their video/monitor drivers to change the resolution and more specifically, the refresh rate. Apparently it supports 75, but only gives you the option for 60. But, the banding was noticeably better after overriding it (which, stupidly, the monitor itself still shows as being 60, even after the override).

Also there were some people who found that after awhile, the tilting mechanism wouldn't work quite as well as it did originally.

Also some people having issues with a buzzing sound from the back of it, since the power cord doesn't use a brick, all of it is internal to the monitor, and that apparently is causing a buzzing that some people can hear and obviously don't like.

Seems like for the most part though, most of them are pretty happy with it.

Thinking I might give it a go anyway. Got a few days to give'er and can always take it back if we don't like, right?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 01:01 PM

FS got it for 700$, until jan. 2nd
Quantity Remaining: 232

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...31&catid=22335

- Guillaume Boudreau
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 01:22 AM

Picked it up on Boxing Day sale for $699.99. All I can say is WOW. The picture is great, colors are great. I an very happy with the unit.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 03:11 AM

Anyone tried...

hooking their xbox, or hi-def tv box into this monitor? I'd like to know your experience with the picture quality regarding these sources. I had read a comment by someone on another forum that playing dark xbox games was difficult on this monitor. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to decide on this monitor and the sale ends on January 2, 2006.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I had read a comment by someone on another forum that playing dark xbox games was difficult on this monitor.
I haven't done either yet, although I have a DVD player beside my monitor to try out.

I read that same thread and frankly some of the criticisms I have not found. No buzzing and I find the monitor very bright. Much brigher than the 17" LG 1750S that I used to use.

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-10, 11:44 AM
Deb

Gateway monitor

Hi, Hugh

I bought one for my husband. It is a fantastic monitor. We have An ATI TV tuner on our computer, and hooked up the monitor with ATI Video desktop as the background. We also hooked it up via S video to output DVD from the computer to our TV. We also tried the PIP feature, with s-video input from our satellite to have TV running in a window while you work on the computer (and vice-versa). The downside is that the monitor does not have its own speakers for sound.

The rotating screen works really well, but not likely to be used all that much. Picture quality on the monitor is very good. Built in usb ports (4) are extremely handy. We have a Wacom Pen/Tablet Mouse and it is nice to be able to connect right where you are working.

All that being said, as much as we love this monitor, we won't keep it. My husband feels that the price is more than we need to spend to have what we need. So it goes back tomorrow. You might be able to pick one up on an open-box deal at Future Shop.

If you want one and are local in Quebec let me know - maybe we could work something out.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-17, 01:14 AM

Hey, I work for Future Shop and have really liked this monitor since the day it came in. Now that cost has dropped the staff price is looking great around $550, selling off my old FS 19" CRT for $175 making my price more like $375. Specs look F-ing fantastic on this monitor and the rest of the things that it doubles up as, HDTV & USB hub to be specific are increadable. I'm buying this tomorrow just for kicks, if I don't like it I'll return it.. but I'm expecting to be blown away and forced to keep it lol. I'm thinking total two thumbs up on this one.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 10:51 AM

Pricing of Gateway 21"w?

Hi- I have been looking at this monitor for a while now, really keen to buy it. Best Buy are out of Stock, and I really dont like the way I have been traeted at Futureshop, is there anywhere else to buy this?

It is listed as 599$ in the US, but 799$ here. I went in to Futureshop, said I wanted to buy it, with the 3 year extra warranty at 200$, but they wouldnt match the 719$ lowest price. Any idea what steps I can take. Just really frustrated with Futures....

help please... I am in Kingston.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-23, 12:44 PM
Sam

I had the monitor for about a week and returned it because of two reasons:

1. Gateway Support
Perhaps the worst support I have ever contacted. The guy sounded drunk, very unfriendly and plain ignorant about the monitor model and its features. For instance, I asked him why the DVI connection would not work with my TV and he told me that I could not use it as a TV monitor. I told him I could using the component input. He put me on hold for 30 minutes, came back on the phone and told me that there is a number I can call who can help me with the DVI issue but I had to pay. Can you believe that? I had the monitor for a week!! So I said, what about the warranty. Oh, he did not want to listen to that, if I wanted DVI, I had to pay. I laughed and told him that this was my first and last time to buy a Gateway product.

2. Few days after purchase date, I noticed that Future Shop lowered the price by $100. I went to claim the credit but the lady very arrogantly told me she had no time for me to deal with it.

So I went home, packed the monitor and headed back to future shop to return it. Another FS lady wanted to give me $125 if I did not return it. I said, "no, please take it back I'll take my business somewhere else."
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-24, 01:20 AM

I recently bought this monitor and am very pleased with it. I do have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have connected my Expressvu 9200 to the monitor both through the DVI and component inputs. With the DVI, the image fills the entire screen while with the component input I get thin black bars on the top and bottom of the picture. Is this normal with the monitor or is there some type of adjustment I can make? I didn't see anything in the manual.

Thanks

Pete
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-24, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up wicked monitor !!

I recently purchased this lcd from FS and I must say I am very impressed at the quality , features and price.....the fact alone it has a faroudja dcdi chip is amazing....4 usb ports component , s-video ,composite , analog and DVI....I run it using DVI and the picture is amazing. Also the eztune software that comes with it is very easy and very powerful with many great features. I had an acer 19" widescreen (analog only) and i sent it back as my wife does alot of photoshop/photography work and the 500:1 contrast did not do the trick blacks were not black and it was way to bright even on zero. This monitor is great for photo and graphic work the colors are true and the blacks are black....also this thing looks huge next to the 19" Acer ...i would recomend this monitor too anyone who needs precise colors and lots of input options....A+++++++ wicked amazing ..I looked at all the monitors in FutureShop and actually wanted larger however the picture quality and options sold me on this in a second...i went in planning to spend at least $1200-1500 on a large lcd however this one won me over and not because of price that was just an added bonus.....oh and zero dead pixels on mine....who are these cow people and where have they been all my life ???
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-01-31, 08:30 AM

Best Buy no longer sell it..

Am I going crazy, Best Buy seems to have removed this from its website... nuts... I have a real problem buying from the Futureshop, just out of principle for the way I have been spoken to.

Is there nowhere else to buy this?
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-02-04, 01:06 PM

You know that Futureshop = best buy in every way shape and form aside from the fact that FS is commision and has salesmen and best buy hires 13 year olds at $7 an hour to ignore customers.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-02-06, 07:13 PM

that is a nice monitor.
boy I feel stupid for buying the dell 2005fpw now.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 2006-02-07, 07:58 PM

I was so close to buying the DELL 20.1 myself....still a great monitor it's just that the gateway has better features .....however I have seen the dell for as little as $499 (boxing day sale since then the lowest was $599 i think)....so depending on how much you want to spend and what your needs are the DELL is stil an awsome monitor however in my opinion the gateway wins .....just my 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in