Connecting PC to HDTV via DVI cable? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-09, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Question Connecting PC to HDTV via DVI cable?

Hello,

I wasn’t sure where weather to post this in the HDTV section or here...

Anyway... I have a Toshiba HDTV with DVI input as well as component, S-video and all... I want to connect my pc to the TV via DVI because I heard it’s the clearest. the video card I have a is the ATI Radeon 9800XT which has DVI output.... all I need now is a long ass DVI cable and im set.... or am I? Will this set up work for sure? I thought I put 2 and 2 together and went with this set up in mind, I hope im not wrong.

Does anyone have any advice for this?!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-09, 09:50 AM
Veteran

A DVI to HDMI cable works great for connecting my AIW Radeon to my 46H84C. You will need the new Catalyst drivers from ATI for the custom resloutions. I ended up using 1152 X 648 (my card isn't fast enough for 1080i). The 2 meter cable was only $20.

simplicity is genius...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-09, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...

My TV does not have HDMI input, just DVI. is that the same thing as far as connecting a pc to it? aslo, how and where can i get a new driver for this set up? Thanks!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-09, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBose
Thanks for the reply...

My TV does not have HDMI input, just DVI. is that the same thing as far as connecting a pc to it? aslo, how and where can i get a new driver for this set up? Thanks!
HDMI also includes audio via digital connection. The new Catalyst drivers are available on the ATI website.

simplicity is genius...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-13, 12:30 PM

Since you don't have hdmi, you'll also need to hook up audio cables to get sound to your tv or receiver.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-13, 02:04 PM
Veteran

To avoid confusion:
HDMI is presently not used as an output from any PC video card. All there is is DVI.
No sound can be transmitted from current video cards via HDMI.
Very few HDTVs can receive sound via HDMI.
DVI cannot transmit sound by design.
If your HDTV has HDMI input, you connect the DVI from the PC to it via DVI-HDMI cable (or adapter).
If your HDTV has DVI input, you connect it to the PC via a simple DVI to DVI cable.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-17, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

NICE,

thats what i did, hooked up via DVI to DVI, because my tv only has DVI in, then split the audio out on my sound card and sent over to my PC 2 RCA cables... dont really care about surround and all that. works well, crisp HD picture from Radeon 256mb

now i dont have to burn anything anymore
Thanks guys...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-19, 01:57 AM
Veteran

Be careful with hooking up a rear projection type tv to a computer. These tvs are not designed to handle static images and they will result in "burn in". In the iunstruction manual for my tv it specifically states not to hook up to a computer.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-10-19, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAChemist
Be careful with hooking up a rear projection type tv to a computer. These tvs are not designed to handle static images and they will result in "burn in". In the iunstruction manual for my tv it specifically states not to hook up to a computer.
Good point. Use a screensaver. I've also discovered that Media Portal as a frontend will actually send no image as a screensaver unless you are playing video files. When you move the mouse or hit a key, the image returns. Quite useful.

simplicity is genius...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-03, 07:21 PM

Hello Guys,
I've been lurking around here for a while and I've finally run into a problem I couldn't use the board to find a solution for.

I can not get a decent video resolution when I have my Toshiba 26HF85C HDTV CRT connected to my 32 MB ATI All in Wonder Radeon using a StarTech DVI-D to DVI cable. The resolutions that do come up are so bad that I can't even read the screen...one is something like 1150x898. Right now I'm using my computer and HDTV together with the s-video and I'm in 864x600 and I can read the screen well enough but it's nothing like 800x600 on a computer monitor.

The TV seams to be set up correctly, I turned the HDMI setting to DVI and switched it from 480p to 1024i. The screen goes blank and loses vertical sync if I switch the computer to most modes.

Is there anything I should alter? Thanks, Steve
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAChemist
These tvs (rear projection) are not designed to handle static images and they will result in "burn in".
I wasn't aware of rear projection TV's having burn in problems. I know plasma TVs have, or had, serious issues, but my DLP has a vga connection and there are certainly no burn in issues with rear projection DLPs, nor are there with rear projection LCDs I don't believe.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx
I wasn't aware of rear projection TV's having burn in problems. I know plasma TVs have, or had, serious issues, but my DLP has a vga connection and there are certainly no burn in issues with rear projection DLPs, nor are there with rear projection LCDs I don't believe.

...correct, no burn in issues with DLP or rear projection LCD....Plasmas have these problems.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx
RNAChemist was likely referring to rear projection CRTs, which do have burn-in issues. Although with these sets burn-in isn't really an issue if you keep your brightness, and particularly your contrast, turned down.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo
I can not get a decent video resolution when I have my Toshiba 26HF85C HDTV CRT connected to my 32 MB ATI All in Wonder Radeon using a StarTech DVI-D to DVI cable.
That's a pretty old video card, but you need to set your resolution to one of the resolution that your tv can handle. Do a search for Powerstrip, as it's likely your best option.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2005-11-17, 01:31 AM

Today I just received my brand new Toshiba 56HM195, which is cable of producing 1080p (1920x1080) as listed in the specs. The primary reason for me purchasing this TV was to play Xbox 360 / PC Games / and PS3 (when available) on it. I am very disappointed to say that I cannot get this TV to run PC games at 1920x1080 resolution. I can't even get it to run PC games at 1280x720?? I have an ATI X850-XT Video Card, which supports both of those resolutions, but when i load a PC game it will only let me run it at very, very low resolutions and looks horrible. Does anyone know a solution for this? Any help would be great.. Thx!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in