Smart Speakers/Displays - Do you use them? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-07-05, 12:07 PM

Machines arrived and are set up. Made myself an LG account. Needed to do 2 machines.
Followed the instructions using my iPhone, although comments on the App Store suggest IOS devices don’t work.

Both the washer and dryer appear as separate WiFi networks on the phone and as devices on my wifi seen on the router network map.

Looks as if the only real use is to report an error code to LG.

That’s it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 12:21 PM
Veteran

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 01:54 PM

I have two google home mini and I used them for:

Hey google: set temperature to ..., play ..... from Netflix, turn on/off the porch light, turn on/off backyard light, turn on/off living room lights, general quick google search (what is .. ft to m, population of ..., how to make ...), set alarm, play music on my TV speaker, play something from youtube, dim or brighten the lights and tell me a joke!

It all started last year with my Christmas tree. Bestbuy had a promotion to buy google home mini and a Smart Plug, hey google: turn on/off Christmas tree.

You need smart light bulbs, plugs, thermostat and Chromecast to do most of what I mentioned above.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-07-21, 10:46 AM

I am with ExDilbert. Too much invasion of privacy. Having said that, I have to admit that I do have insteon lighting, Harmony Hub in my rec room, Logitec Circle2 to monitor instrusion into my house. These have low risk of being hacked. I also have a Bose QC headphone which uses Google Assistant to monitor and read incoming messages. I don't really know if Google can listen to my Google Assistant reading my messages, but I do not use it often enough to worry.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-07-31, 10:13 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There were some earlier discussions in this thread regarding "smart" washing machines. Hope you don't mind if I extend that discussion here.

We've had our compact LG front loader for 4 months and I have the following questions/comments.

1. We've probably run about 50-60 cycles in that time and our machine still hasn't recommended the tub clean cycle. It's supposed to after a certain number of cycles - perhaps related also to the type of cycle, etc. Our washer doesn't smell because we leave the door open and our clothes are rarely very soiled. We mostly run the delicate cycle on cold water and our clothes are perfectly clean.

Just wondering what other people's experience is if they have been "told" by their machines when to run "tub clean"? I see many websites recommend once a month, but we probably only do about 12-15 loads per month, so I've been waiting for the machine to tell me.

2. The downloadable apps are supposed to be able to tell you when the next tub clean cycle is due - has anyone used the app for that purpose? Does the app even tell you that in Canada because the app is really hobbled up here? The reviews by Canadians are very poor for the app.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 06:42 AM

Re 1: We have not owned our machine for long enough to get to your 50-60 loads. I wash my stuff on Normal warm, my wife uses a cold cycle for her stuff. We both use PC liquid detergent. HE and the free variety. She uses the specific cold water version I use whichever comes to hand.
So we haven’t seen a tub clean notification yet.

Re 2: the only thing that we use the app for is the notification when a cycle has finished for the washer and the dryer.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 05:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. I checked today and the tcl symbol did come up, however, it may have been coming up for a while because it only stays on for a couple of seconds after you turn on the washer, then it goes away. It also apparently goes away after a few wash cycles if you ignore it. I showed it to my wife (who does most of the washing) and she said it may have been coming up for a while because it just "looked like a bunch of squiggles on the display". (I had been asking her if the Tub Clean symbol had ever come up)

2. My washer only has NFC, not WiFi and my iPhone (5S) doesn't do NFC, so I'm out of luck with the app even if it did something useful.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 08:24 PM

The manual is unclear but the connection starts with NFC to get the wifi data and then switches to wifi. So yes you are out of luck until either you get a new phone or borrow one just for the set up.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 08:28 AM
Veteran

with any modern and smart device, I am also very "cautious" in how I use it. I am not one of those careless free for all individuals who just pick it up and start doing everything from it like ordering pizza, ordering paper towels, calling their friends, controlling all their smart appliances, etc. From a very young age before the technology boom, my parents have taught me to share as little info as possible, technology is good but too much of it can be used for negative things, so yes I am cautious in the way I use technology. I do not dive in and use my Alexa like everyone else, I use it for simple things, to check the weather, set timers, set alarms, control my thermostat and security system, and listen to AM/FM radio and some times stream a song on the rare occasion but that's about it. I talked to a lot of Security and IT Experts and they all agree with me that I am using it appropriately and not giving up too much privacy, and they tell me people all the time use these and other technologies like crazy and give up so much privacy about them self all in the name of experiences which is not always good
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 10:06 AM

Finally the pizza arrived this morning...four days after the washer placed the order!
timlocke likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in