Did you ever use ICQ back in the day? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By 17671

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-07, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Did you ever use ICQ back in the day?

Did you ever use ICQ back in the day? a lot of people will be like IC-What? not many people will know what it is. But if you grew up in my generation it was the first ever popular instant messaging program for the masses and it was written for both windows and macintosh computers. A lot of people stopped using ICQ in the early 2000's as there were other programs such as MSN (MicroSoft Network) Messenger/ Windows Live Messenger and others.

Back Then a lot of people simply created an account (or multiple accounts) used the program, and when ICQ started dying, they simply uninstalled the program and hoped the ICQ Company would die or fade away and the servers with their account info go *poof*. Apparently I discovered the later part to not be true.

Big surprise, ICQ still exists, its been taken over by a russian company, and still actively being used today by people, not sure who these people are but they're people using it to this day, strange.

I had a 6 digit ICQ UIN number back in the day, yea was one of the early adopters. I actually had recorded that number somewhere and recently came across it when i was going thru my stuff, I went to the website and tried to login and guess what password my 19 year old self would have tried to use and what do ya know it WORKED. All the personal information I had entered about my self was still there, my old now defunct email address was there, a profile photo with a picture of me too. Wow, this would be a great way for hackers to get dirt on someone. I put in a request to close my account, and was notified it was closed. I even tried to re-log back in to prove it and it was disconnected, phew, a huge sign of releif

The moral of the story? next time you lose interest in one of those chat or IM programs, remember that by deleting the program does not mean your data goes a way. You must actually put a request to delete your account too. who knows, the site could have a major data breach and who knows what info they could obtain about you, or even the 19 year old version of you, its still personal data and its in the hands of the bad guys. remember that.
Inglewood, Allan B and Wheelman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-07, 09:59 PM
Veteran

Interesting. I did use ICQ in the early 2000s. Don't remember the password I would have used but I likely still have the email for account recovery. After a couple of years I noticed it was popular in Israel, Russia and some neighbouring countries. Israel makes sense since it was started by an Israeli company. By then, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger were becoming popular in Europe and NA. I doubt any of my contacts are still on ICQ though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-08, 09:24 AM

I remember that your "ICQ" number was cooler the lower it was - I remember mine was 90000 something (only 5 digits) and people were in awe of it...

My account will only be full of ancient info - my old @home email account, my old address, maybe a link to a Geocities page, and my contacts probably are a bunch of people I don't talk to anymore (including an ex-GF or a few).

I still have an old Windows 95 laptop from the late 90's that probably has it installed...should check it out then destroy the entire laptop...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-20, 04:06 PM
Rookie

This program was hugely popular with the Engineering students at the school I went to... it seems like only yesterday we were using it non-stop. Where did the time go?

I do always make sure that I don't leave any traces where I go, including making sure any smoke signals I've used in the past have completely dissipated by performing a highly powerful "wind dance".
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-20, 06:40 PM
Rookie

One of the first programs my friend and I used, she moved to Quebec when we were teens (I live in Toronto) so it was awesome that we could talk to each other for free. When I did finally get rid of it .. many MANY years ago, I actually did 'delete' my account, I have no idea what my ICQ number was but it was one of the lower numbers :\
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-20, 09:22 PM

Did I Ever! Way Back I used it a lot.
have not used it in many years there was a update a few years ago and my number and password does not work anymore.

247148 was my number if I remember correctly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-21, 07:04 AM
Veteran

I set it up, at a friends suggestion. However, I never actually used it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-22, 01:24 PM

I tried the password recovery - it went to my @home.com email address from almost 20 years ago...guess I won't be able to reset it and log in...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-23, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yup, having outdated email addresses for online accounts and services is a problem and will be an even bigger problem as people uninstall programs without closing the associated accounts. After having a talk with a group of friends last nite who all used icq in the same era as me, they all thought the product and company would eventually go bankrupt and close down, they had no idea it still exists and their data was sitting on a server somewhere in russia or israel or where ever in the world. they are actually surprised cus they did not close down their accounts they just left them and uninstalled the program as usual and thought the company would go bankrupt and disappear when msn messenger surpassed icq
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-31, 11:33 AM
Veteran

No. I prefer longer form less time sensitive communications such as Usenet and web forums. It gives me the time to create a full thought out, and usually correct spelling and grammar, response.

I did use plain IRC a bit.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-31, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Usenet and web forums serve a different purpose than ICQ. The former is for public conversations while the latter was for private group/one-on-one conversations. Unfortunately the latter splintered into a multitude of services which in turn disappeared or transformed (e.g., Yahoo Messenger, AIM, whatever the heck Microsoft and Google are peddling this year) or are platform/role specific (e.g., iChat, Facebook Messenger, Microsoft Teams). I still use Trillian quite a bit.

--
Neil
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-31, 05:15 PM
Veteran

The other feature of ICQ was that you could meet people based on location and personal profiles. It was sort of like a combination chat/dating app for the PC. It was easy to meet people almost anywhere in the world. That's been replaced by more specialized sites and apps that mostly exist on browsers or smartphones today.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-31, 11:19 PM
Veteran

"Did you ever use ICQ back in the day?"

No..

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 06:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately the latter splintered into a multitude of services which in turn disappeared or transformed
We use Cisco Jabber at work. Back when I was at IBM, we used Lotus/IBM Sametime. Jabber does a lot more than just chat though. In fact our phone system is moving to it and replacing the desk phones for most people.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in