Installing Samsung PCI SSD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-14, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Installing Samsung PCI SSD

Hello,

I have a Dell Alienware Aurora R6. It came with a standard hard drive, 1T, which is quite slow. I just purchased a Samsung PCI SSD.

I am not very tech savvy at all, I barely know what a BIOS is, let alone have any knowledge in how to operate within the BIOS or makes changes there.

Would anyone be able to link me to a website or post a very details set of instructions on how to install a PCI SSD and then everything that comes after that. I would like to reformat my old hard drive as well, which I think may have a virus. I've run avast and malware already.

I'm hoping to find a detailed set of instructions that will explain in detail how to install windows and then direct the computer to book from the newly installed PCI SSD.

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-14, 04:17 PM
Veteran

I assume you mean an M.2 PCIe drive. According to its specs, the Dell Alienware Aurora R6 has an M.2 PCIe slot.

Obtain some drive mirroring software. This should be available on the drive manufacturer's web site. Use this to create a bootable USB drive. Test the drive to make sure it boots correctly. You may need to press F11 or F12 during the boot process.

The Aurora R6 Service Manual can be found here. Go to page 19 which is the motherboard layout. The M.2 slot is item 13. To install the M.2 drive, unplug the PC and remove the cover. Locate the M.2 slot. There are 3 mounts near the M.2 slot. If one of them contains a screw, remove it. If not, locate the screw which should be included with the PC accessories. The M.2 PCIe drive slides into the M.2 slot. There is a key in the connector to ensure proper orientation. Replace the screw which should fit into a notch at the end of the drive. Tighten lightly in order to not damage the drive.

Replace the cover and plug in the PC. Boot from the USB disk mirroring drive. Mirror the original drive to the new M.2 drive. Reboot. Press Del or F2 to enter the BIOS. Make sure the M.2 is recognized and the the PC is set to boot from it. Save any new settings and reboot to verify the the M.2 drive is the 'Boot, Page File, Crash Dump and Recovery partition' in disk manager.

Enjoy your new drive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 07:18 AM

Two things. If, when you unplug the PC there is still a LED lit on the motherboard. Wait until it goes out before touching anything. Just a few seconds.

M2 drives. Slide it into the slot at about a 30 degree angle. When it is seated, you will feel this in your fingers, gently press it down so the screw can be inserted and gently tightened as Ex Dilbert says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 10:29 AM
Veteran

The instructions I received with a PCIe drive says not to insert at an angle. It should be held fairly level with the motherboard, maybe at a 10 degree angle at most. Having installed one at about a 30 degree angle, it doesn't seem to do any harm if done right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 12:53 PM

The one I have just said 'at an angle'. So it will be fine as you say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 02:27 PM

The OP states that he suspects his existing hard drive has a virus. To be safe, he should be unplugging that drive from the power (the smaller plug that fits in) and installing windows from a source other than his hard drive. He'll need a Windows CD, which may complicate matters if he does not have original media. He'd then want to wipe the existing hard drive.
I'd suggest focusing on getting rid of the virus first, before proceeding as ExDilbert suggests. Side benefit of not losing his existing data etc on the existing hard drive.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 03:48 PM
Veteran

If it's Win10, performing a refresh after mirroring should do the trick. It will keep user data if required. I would unplug the old drive before doing so. I would scan with a couple of other freshly updated AV and malware products. SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are a couple of reliable free products. Some of the popular AV vendors have online scans as well.
Norman_C likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in