AMIGA Renaissance? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

AMIGA Renaissance?

Have any of you people seen the new interest in AMIGA nowadays? I just happened to search for something about my A2000HD and what a surprise I got. There is actually some kind of a plug-on as it goes directly where the MC68000 plugs in, and boosts that to a whooping 68060 at 100mhz or something. Here I thought I had done good upgrading mine to a rare 68010 with a few more instruction coding.

The product I'm talking about is called Vampire 500 V2+. Not only does it make it faster, it adds USB port, HDMI output and ethernet input via some gizmo. They just released the updated OS to 3.1.4.

I'm curious to see if any of you ever owned one and if so, which one?

My first was the A1000 bought from a friend at an awesome price. Then I saw Dragons Lair playing on an A500 computer and I was hooked. Then few years back, bought a used A2000HD and another friend of mine, gave me his PC-AT JANUS Bridgeboard emulator board to run MS-DOS or even Win3.0 .

I might get the new card that would make it faster. Still have a few programs that I used to love to make sound effects or better, watch the cool demos from the hackers scene. What they could achieve for the times, was out of this world.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 10:34 AM
Veteran

I has an A1000 back in the day. Installed extra RAM on a daughter board and a Sidecar which added PC compatibility ([email protected]) and a 20MB hard drive. Altogether it cost about the same a most brand name IBM PC clones. The graphical interface was comparable to the Apple MacIntosh and was in colour, not black and white, for much less money. Microsoft Windows was still a few years away. It was a pretty good kit in it's day and had some popular business applications and lots of games. It also had a thriving open source community. Unfortunately, it was never taken seriously by business customers who put their money into IBM PCs and their clones which ran MS-DOS. Commodore eventually shut down their computer division due to lack of sales. I purchased an IBM PC a few years later, once they became more powerful and reasonably priced, and sold the Amiga.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

To me, AMIGA is like Indian Motorcycles. It's been sold bought, torn apart, and rebuilt so many times yet never really disappeared.

When the A1000 came out, PC's had 4 colors and the only thing MAC had in comon with AMIGA was the base CPU which was the Motorola MC68000. However, AMIGA could do more and in glorious 4096 colors if using HAM.

I was always amazed at how the A1000 could draw silver, chrome or even just a plain glass of water. To see that was like going from a snowy TV picture to a 4K HDR set.

I guess there is a big waiting list for the card and I don't know if I should wait for version 4 due to even more capabilities. I still say my A2000HD is faster than my i7-7700k when it comes to real multitasking.

If you want to kill an action on PC even with Windows 10 running, insert a known damaged CD or even a corrupted diskette if you still have them, and try using the Windows Explorer. It will say waiting for something, probably crash, and even reboot the Explorer module.

My A2000 doesn't wait. Unless another program decided to jump the fence and piggy back on machine binaries that were not for them, I just have to scroll down as fast as I want and it gives me what I want to see.

I remember back in the day being able to play Lemmings, download stuff from "free" BBS'es but had to pay an arm and a leg for long distance, print something that was needed by my girlfriend ,while listening to MOD music from Pro-Tracker. Nothing was impossible as long as I had memory for it.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-10-19, 10:40 AM
Veteran

My brother has an A500. Back in its day, it was used for gaming. The only "expansion" was a 512MB RAM/RTC board (with a lithium battery), and a 4 joystick adapter I made, to play 4 player Gauntlet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in