Application error oxc0000005 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-08-26, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Application error oxc0000005

As I've mentioned in other threads, we've installed SSDs into family laptops. Except for one that required more expertise due to disc errors initially preventing the successful clone, all worked well.

There's just one small issue affecting my older, Gateway, laptop. The strange thing is that at the time it was done, this issue did not exist so it's not like it was merely duplicated on the change from HDD to SSD. For now, it's only a small thing but I wouldn't want to see it worsen.

Everything worked so well that I actually found I spent more time on what is essentially a spare and used for downloading TV/movies for later viewing, using the excellent Internet Download Manager (IDM) installed on it.

Very occasionally, this error would pop up for first IDM use following start up. But it worked on the 2nd or 3rd go and then sat in the tray as usual, opening for next use. Only on a restart did it need that 2nd or 3rd go, so I didn't worry.

But then it happened when I tried to run a Malwarebytes scan. It just wouldn't scan. I uninstalled it and I couldn't reinstall it as that error kept popping up.

Research led me to try Malwarebytes Chameleon. That worked and it was back on. I was able to get the scan working although sometimes it was blocked, sometimes not. Nothing found. Nothing found on windows defender scans either.

I have an Adobe update that gets blocked for the same reason.

So at this point the laptop is still working very well, if you don't mind the extra 30 seconds opening IDM - but only after a restart.

I did plenty of research - various tools to install and run...but guess what. The error mostly prevents the installation and/or running of the various tools. But not always. I've run ccleaner for the registry, done various 'repair' functions, debugs, run scannow, rkill, farbar, confirmed it's not driver related....

I've tried everything I've seen in google results that doesn't make my head spin just to look at the suggestion.

So, what do do. Just carry on and accept there may be a couple of things that take 2 to 4 attempts to run, but they still do run? Remember that this laptop is just for downloading tv/movies and available as a substitute should the need arise.

Will it get worse?

I had thought to re-clone it to a spare SSD. Logic dictates that the error would be duplicated but there was no error on the original disc yet it appeared on the cloned one.
But I thought that if it did appear on the newly (second) cloned one, I could at least reset W10 and then add back any files and the IDM from the first one.

But the cloning/migration is stopped - at different stages - by presumably the same thing. So that appears to be out.

I could simply reset and reinstall/transfer anything missing - not a big deal, it's just IDM, MS Office 2007 and then stuff like Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Firefox, VLC.

Or do a fresh install and hope activation works.

But there really ought to be a solution. How does something that didn't originally exist materialise on a copy?

Should I do nothing or something and if so, what?

Edit - how come the image didn't show at the top? Here's the url for it. http://www.verydoc.com/blog/wp-conte...mage_thumb.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-08-26, 08:55 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Everything worked so well that I actually found I spent more time on what is essentially a spare and used for downloading TV/movies for later viewing, using the excellent Internet Download Manager (IDM) installed on it.
You seem to be really fond of this IDM software, but I would suggest that it is perhaps the root problem.

Quote:
But there really ought to be a solution. How does something that didn't originally exist materialise on a copy?
Depending on the sources you are using, the practice of "downloading TV/movies" can introduce malware to your system. Certain malware can prevent programs from running or being installed, as you have experienced.

The error message photo link you posted appears to be related to another program you did not mention as having installed. What program on your system is the one giving the Application error oxc0000005 message?

Regardless, a clean install may be the only way to be sure you have a clean system. However, if you install the IDM software again, and pick up where you left off with "downloading TV/movies", you may see the issue reappear.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-08-26, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I and others in the family have been using IDM (desktops and laptops) for around 10 years. As with anything I install I carry out the usual checks and scans.

Likewise the streaming sites. Adblockers, anti-virus etc all run when used and regular checks after a session.

The image was just for illustration purposes to show what it looks like.

Every scan using Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware from before the cloning and since has been completely free of anything.

So, do you recommend a clean install over a reset?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-08-27, 02:01 PM

According to my Google search, 0xc0000005 is an error that might be caused by corruption.

This might be caused by 3 things:
- Registry corruption
- Viral infection
- Faulty hardware, especially memory

Given the system’s age, I would first run a memory test, like Memtest86, to eliminate RAM issues. Be sure to create the boot disc on another system, you don’t want to test with a potentially corrupt image.

If it comes out clean, I suggest to try a system repair using “sfc /scannow” on the command line.

As a last recourse, reinstalling the system should clear what’s broken. If you have an OEM serial number, you might be required to call Microsoft to activate Windows. The most common scenario is providing a 10-number to an automated system, and it will give you a single use 16 character alphanumeric activation code.

Ed7789
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-08-27, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...scannow was one of a number of things I tried.

A reset has solved the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in