Compaq cq5328f not detecting video card - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Compaq cq5328f not detecting video card

Just installed a video card to help this old pc out a bit but even when I select pcie16 in bios it just boots using the onboard graphics and windows 10 does not detect the card at all. Only thing I can think is the psu is too small at 250w and card requirements are 300w. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 04:13 PM
Veteran

The first thing I would do is check the BIOS and make sure that the PC is configured to boot using the PCIe video card first. That's usually the default but could have been changed to boot with the onboard video first. If in doubt, reset the BIOS to default settings and double check the boot settings.

A 250W PSU should be OK with that card provided there is nothing else that is drawing excessive amounts of power. However, the amount of current delivered on the 12V line could be an issue. It should be at least 15A. I've seen PSUs with 20 pin ATX connectors plugged into 24 pin eATX motherboard power blocks. That could cause an issue.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, this has a 20 pin connector. The Phoenix bios 5.55 has only limited options. The video only has a choice of PCI, PCI x1, pcie x16 and onboard. Looked everywhere for a new bios version or even the one that it has to reflash but no luck. I reset the default settings and even pulled the coin cell backup battery and reset cmos with the jumpers and it's still not picking it up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well newegg.ca was stellar in their support and issued me an rma for a replacement to see if that will fix it. Failing that I'm thinking of a better psu. Also looking for an AMD phenom x4 945 chip for this unit, should be enough cheap used ones around now they are so far out of production

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 09:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, this has a 20 pin connector.
Then that could be the issue. The motherboard takes a 24 pin connector. A 400w-450w ATX PSU is the best bet. Go with a well known brand such as Antec, Corsair, EVGA or SeaSonic. They all make decent 80+ PSUs in the $50-$60 price range. Sales and rebates are common so they can often be purchased for about $40 after rebate. The main issue may be physical dimensions. Measure the old PSU to compare against a new one. OEMs often use undersized ATX PSUs in cases that won't take a full sized ATX PSU. In that case, an SFX PSU may be better. Just be sure to get one that includes an ATX adapter. Seasonic makes a couple of small 300w SFX PSUs that should work.

Found a link on the motherboard. It's probably an M2N68-LA, sourced from ASUS and rebranded for HP. The maximum CPU TDP is 95w so keep that in mind when buying a new CPU. That will most likely require a new PSU. It may also need a BIOS update. If required, I would flash the BIOS before spending any more money. It might also fix the video card issue.

Link to support and information for the Compaq Presario CQ5328F Desktop PC

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra5)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have looked for a bios file for this machine and nobody lists one, not even HP is the issue I'm having. If the new card doesn't work I guess I have no choice but to try a bigger pay. Thanks for the help

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Found I could access advanced bios setting by pressing ctrl f10 ctrl f11 but still not able to detect new card

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-21, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have installed a new replacement card and it still is not detectable, what would be your next step? The onboard video is greyed out in the bios and I have selected pciex16 and windows doesn't even detect it. Dont wanna dump money into a power supply now to find out the motherboard is pooches. Ideas on testing pcie x16 slots?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-22, 03:01 AM
Veteran

It sounds like you're still plugging in your monitor to the onboard video connector and not the new video card (based on comments about what the BIOS says and that Windows 10 won't see the card at all).

If this is true, that would explain why it's not working. If I just misunderstood things and you'd swap back to the onboard graphics ports when it wouldn't work, then I'm at a loss.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-22, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I plug into the video card and no output to monitor, that is the main issue. Will look Into deals on psu's over the next few weeks but Leary of putting any more into this old machine

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-08-22, 03:52 PM
Veteran

It's a tossup as to whether its the motherboard, an incompatibility or the PSU. My experience is the PSU is more often the issue, especially if it's an ATX model under 400w. If it's an incompatibility, a different brand of video card may work (AMD vs nVidia) but it's more likely an incompatible BIOS.

What happens when the monitor is plugged into the onboard video and the new card is in the slot? If it works, does the BIOS show any info or errors about video when booting or in the BIOS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in