Wi-Fi Is Getting a Major Upgrade - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Adopted in late 2019, available in new devices in late 2020, available in a majority of wifi hotspots years later, in most devices actually being used by consumers years after that. By then, WPA2 will be wide open to casual hackers. In the meantime, use long random passwords or very long pass phrases that will take months or years to hack offline and change them frequently.
metalhawk likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I get my WiFi passwords here. I use 63 character alpha-numeric strings. I figure they'd be hard to guess.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 05:54 PM
Veteran

I've used passwords from GRC. I have a couple of concerns with those. One is that someone might find a pattern in the generated passwords and use that to crack them. The other is that someone might hack the site and steal user IDs or IP addresses and the passwords they generate. That could be mitigated by altering the generated passwords locally. These days I use an offline password generator. I'm not going to say which one since that might reduce the security of my passwords. Maybe a combination of GRC and offline generated passwords would be more secure. That would help guard against both patterns and site attacks. The other issue is that very complicated passwords require a password manager. The concern then is that the password manager gets compromised. WPA3 is a step forward but some people think that passwords themselves are obsolete. The problem is that nobody has a better solution. Even two-step verification can be compromised.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
One thing about WiFi passwords is that you have to be near by to use them. If they don't know where you are and the SSID, they have a lot of work to do to use that password.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-06-27, 08:02 PM
Veteran

The whole point is that they are close enough to sniff the encrypted password in the first place. If the password is weak enough to be decrypted in a few hours or days, an unscrupulous neighbor gets free internet. If the password is weak enough to be decrypted in a few minutes, someone in a nearby vehicle gets to download or upload something illegal using your IP address.
Inglewood likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-09, 09:35 PM
Veteran

H'mmm so I guess now isn't the time to buy a mesh WiFi system. Though some reports (articles on the web) report that WPA3 certified devices could start appearing in late 2019. And I know that you need support for this on the client devices as well but still.... buying something that's not forward compatible when we know there's a change coming doesn't seem to make sense.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 12:20 AM
Veteran

WPA2 is still good enough provided strong passwords are used. It will be for some time. There are other reasons not to buy a MESH system right now.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-13, 06:41 PM
Veteran

^ Care to elaborate on your last sentence?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-14, 08:33 AM

I guess I have no worries. My modem is at the back of the house, and I can have a weak signal at the front door, but no on the street. My neighbors will not hack into my modem for free wifi since they have an unlocked guest account for everyone to use.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-14, 01:48 PM

Old neighbour who used to live behind me.. nice guy.. had no wifi security. I kept telling him to put some on. He didn't care. One day I said what if someone used your connection to download a pile of kiddie you know what?? I said the RCMP would be at his door. Instant password. Wish he hadn't moved.. new people are idiots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in