WHY don't they make new word processors to print on paper WITHOUT a computer? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 09:32 PM
Veteran

@nicdim lol You obviously have no idea how things work. It is also their money and and resources to get it published which you will give them the rights to make changes when you sign a the contract.

@ExDilbert Right on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 10:26 PM
Veteran

And there are a lot easier ways to protect your copyright by (gasp!) electronic means. Registration of copyright?filing online - Canadian Intellectual Property Office
DSgamby likes this.

--
Neil
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 09:22 AM

I have a vintage non-electric typewriter I use all the time - it is easy to move around and I can type on various envelopes, cards, etc. without having them get chewed up in my laser printer or print on the wrong side/upside down. Just a pain trying to find replacement ribbon - I either find 100 for $1, or 1 for $100....

Nobody can interpret my handwriting because of a medical condition, so it makes it easy for me to type out quick items and fill out forms legibly.

post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
I'm just shaking my head at the amount of hoops you are going through and expecting others to go through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicdim View Post
Year 2030- "Im hungry time to order a pizza. Oh i need a smart phone to order a pizza. Can't even eat without a computer. I HAVE TO GO THROUGH DIFFERENT HOOPS JUST TO EAT. This is the modern age and I can't even use a normal phone??? Can't even use a ps9 without a smartphone and forget about playing ps1-8 games on a ps9. If it was truly a modern age, everything should be compatible with everything, no more bs. Should even be able to use a year 1910 phone to order a pizza if this was truly the modern age. Get it? But its the opposite. Its the "upgrade at constant rate or be obsolete" age."
Had to go through different hoops to make a final edit to that post by quoting it because the 720 minute time limit has expired. Another modern techneek we could do without where i had to go through a different hoop, ha. ok bye all for now...fun thread. ya think?

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-03 at 10:29 AM.
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Year 1970 - "Im hungry time to order a pizza. Oh i need a phone to order a pizza. Can't even eat without a phone. I HAVE TO GO THROUGH DIFFERENT HOOPS JUST TO EAT. This is the modern age and I can't even use a normal telegraph??? Should even be able to use a year 1850 telegraph to order a pizza if this was truly the modern age. Get it? But its the opposite. Its the "upgrade at constant rate or be obsolete" age."

Fixed that for you.

Add -

1. Use whatever device you're using to post here to write and edit your story on the fly.
2. Fire up email.
3. Find email address.
4. Email story.

OR

1. Find typewriter-like machine.
2. Find paper.
3. Find whatever inking materials you need.
4. Write your story and hope to hell you don't have any substantial edits (and judging from your writing here...)
5. Find envelope.
6. Figure out postage cost.
7. Find stamps.
8. Find physical address (often not easy).
9. Walk to mailbox.

Hoops?

--
Neil
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 10:48 AM

In 1970 we would have walked or got a bus to get a Pizza, although we would most likely have had to eat in, as there were no pizza take-aways back then, apart from the odd Chinese or Indian and of course Fish & Chip Shop.
Inglewood likes this.
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 11:10 AM
Veteran

The true Dark Ages!

--
Neil
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Not sure if people missed my post but I have typed out a full page directly from a tablet, and printed it to my wireless connected printer, WITHOUT the need for a personal computer available. I'm pretty sure that answers the OP's question. now if the op had a non-wireless enabled printer that would be a different story but if u want to be on the cutting edge, u need to make sure all your devices are compatible.
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 12:32 PM

Paolo, he wants one device, not two and gluing a tablet to a Laser (or other) Printer will more than likely not be what he will accept.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 01:00 PM

https://www.maketecheasier.com/raspb...ord-processor/

Several years old, but this article talks about making your own word processor using a Raspberry Pi and a few USB parts.

Nice thing is that you could get away with just a few dollars (well, maybe $50 to $75 if you buy quality stuff - if you buy Chinese knock-off parts off ebay you could go to about $10) in components - a Raspberry Pi, USB Keyboard, and a SD card. Once programmed, just plug the Pi into a HDMI compatible TV to use as a screen, and you can save your file to a USB Key or SD Card and bring it to a library or copy shop to print.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Interesting article but that solution probably creates more problems than it solves. Personally, I would go with a lightweight laptop, a convertible touchscreen laptop/tablet or a tablet and bluetooth keyboard.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Year 1970 -"Im hungry time to order a pizza.Oh i need phone to order pizza.Cant even eat without phone.I HAVE TO GO THROUGH DIFFERENT HOOPS JUST TO EAT.This is the modern age and I cant even use normal telegraph?Should even be able to use year 1850 telegraph to order pizza if this was truly the modern age.Get it?But its opposite.Its the "upgrade at constant rate or be obsolete" age
"heeeheeehahaaha". That is funny but being able to use an 1850 telegraph in 2017 where the receiver end would hear a digital voice reproduction of sender's exact pizza order would only prove we would be 1000 times more advanced than previously where only a smart phone can be used to receive that special offer online. To have a computer scan and recognise an 1850 telegraph, 1920 phone or a 1970 non-electronic typewriter and make them usable and compatible to get online or print on paper would only prove to be genius. We are simply not advanced enough to make such old technology compatible with current.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-04 at 12:34 AM.
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Should even be able to use a year 1850 telegraph to order a pizza if this was truly the modern age. Get it? But its the opposite. Its the "upgrade at constant rate or be obsolete" age."
I have an old Morse sounder¹ that I salvaged from an old CN Telecommunications office that was about to be demolished in the late '70s. Perhaps I could convert it to IPv6 and hook it up to my cable modem...

1. Mine looks just like the one in the link, but it's solid brass.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan B View Post
In 1970 we would have walked or got a bus to get a Pizza, although we would most likely have had to eat in, as there were no pizza take-aways back then, apart from the odd Chinese or Indian and of course Fish & Chip Shop.
Where did you live? That's a fairy tale to me. We had pizza place etc etc and take out all over the place.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Where did you live? That's a fairy tale to me. We had pizza place etc etc and take out all over the place.
Back in the 60s, we could order pizza or Chinese food for delivery or get it take out.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in