WHY don't they make new word processors to print on paper WITHOUT a computer? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 12:21 PM
Veteran

Do publishing places accept paper copies anymore?

I would think a book written on a computer would be easier to edit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 12:33 PM
Veteran

@Paolo , Are you using a keyboard with the tablet? If so, is it connected with bluetooth?

Quote:
I would think a book written on a computer would be easier to edit.
Everything about writing a book on a computer should be easier. Don't know what most hardware or O/S professional authors are using or which software most prefer. Personally, I detest MS Word for writing anything. It's just too slow and buggy and it's the only text editor I've used that has caused the loss of entire documents (on more than one occasion.) There must be better software available for professional writers.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:17 PM
Veteran

There's stuff out there like Ulysses and Scrivener. But your experience notwithstanding, the professional authors I've been involved with use Word.

--
Neil

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Personally, I detest MS Word for writing anything. It's just too slow and buggy and it's the only text editor I've used that has caused the loss of entire documents (on more than one occasion.) There must be better software available for professional writers.
Well, there are LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

There is also Scribus for desktop publishing.
DSgamby likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:34 PM
Veteran

The Word documents were lost some time ago, when Word was a lot worse that it is now (Word 95 probably.) However, it left a bad, long lasting impression. Never mind all the MS Office security issues that have emerged since. It's just not worth it for a casual user.

I've used LibreOffice for some time and OpenOffice before that. For simple text only stuff I use TED Notepad.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:41 PM
Veteran

I use OpenOffice for everything Office and Notetab Light for text files and bat files editing.
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Simple text editing, and reading source code, I use VIM in the shell.
Something worth printing, I would use LibreOffice and just Print to PDF and email it or whatever.
I don't think I have bought ink in at least a year, and the printer
wouldn't work if I wanted it to. Save a Tree...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Actually, there used to be electronic word processors, but they were done in by computers.

Here's some info about Wang word processors.

There was also the Radio Shack WP-2. There were others, but since word processing could be done on a computer, they disappeared.
I used to do field service on these units back in the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WAmArvRwg
whitbyterry likes this.

Panasonic TH46PZ80 , Samsung PN50B850
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
publishing accept paper anymore?written on computer easier to edit
I hope they still do. i dont know, is there a chance come 2040 when you say the word, "paper" to any person 20 years old and younger theyre going to say, "whats paper?"

Theres 1 more good possibility of typing out my book in this modern age. I could take another chance hoping it won't get busted during transit and buy another electronic typewriter that includes white correction ink ribbon but no word processor and no small lcd display. I could then easily type and edit my whole story on my ps3(using ps3 hand controller + virtual keyboard-SEE IM INTO MODERN TECH) and save each completed chapter in parts to the drafts section of my internet webmail account.Then open the first saved draft part very easily viewable on my big 30" full screen color tv(a screen not compact but looks amazing and is a comfort to view) and type 1 page at a time.Im glad its only going to be a 40 page book before the typewriter breaks,haha!

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-02 at 11:18 PM.
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 07:53 PM
Veteran

I'm just shaking my head at the amount of hoops you are going through and expecting others to go through. There's little chance an agent (you basically need one of those if you're submitting a manuscript to a publishing house), publisher, editor, and proofreader (as it's quite unlikely your work will remain untouched) are going to pass a paper manuscript around. Even less chance if you're an unknown author.
DSgamby likes this.

--
Neil
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 08:39 PM
Veteran

@nicdim How are the proofreaders and and the editors going to edit your book. Do you actually think an unknown author would be allowed to edit their own book?

@NeilN Bingo
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
shaking my head at hoops youre going through,expecting others to.Little chance an agent (you need one if submitting manuscript to publishing), publisher,editor,proofreader are going to pass a paper manuscript around.Even less chance if youre unknown author
You havent read my ultra weird really good story, I can't reveal anymore details about it. This thread is about how I or another person can find an easy way to type and edit a full story without needing to buy a seperate computer and maby without a seperate printer, and with some humor along the way as my own posts made me laugh alot. But like i said im serious about this. I'll probably type, edit, save to drafts using my ps3, then i'll either print each screen using my ps3 and a printer, or use typewriter. THEN ONCE I have the finished work on paper, I want that COPYRIGHTED in person with proof of copyright. Then once copyrighted its safe to either mail it around because its protected or submit it online to get it published.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-02 at 09:18 PM.
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
@nicdim How are the proofreaders and and the editors going to edit your book. Do you actually think an unknown author would be allowed to edit their own book?

@NeilN Bingo
NO, its MY story not theirs. Theyre not allowed to change not even 1 dot on my paper. I want my work copyrighted first in paper form then im safe to submit it electronically on line by ps3 saved draft files(in many parts, like 80? [1/2 paper page will fill 1 draft file?, 40 pages total]) using my ps3 because it will be protected under copyright at that point or i'll mail the 40 page book to publishers that are not allowed to change it.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-02 at 11:28 PM.
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 09:16 PM
Veteran

I am sure that publishers will require an electronic document. They are not going to publish a book submitted on paper. What about ebooks? They are becoming a large percentage of sales. Getting a book published is difficult, even by someone who bends over backwards to get it done. Try to be difficult by submitting it on paper only and that's sure to kill the deal.

And what about publishing it yourself? That would require an electronic version. That is unless you expect people to mail around printed copies that you made manually. Self publishing would be a lot easier to do than getting a publisher and all the other intermediaries on board.
DSgamby likes this.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

If any of my ways to type, print, get copyrighted and get my book published at any step of the way FAILS, then i'll just buy a laptop computer and a seperate printer....or a word processor and a printer...or a 3d printer(ok im joking). Ok back to my Half Life 1 ps2 videogame, one of the best games that you'll always have a craving to replay once every 3 or 5 years because its amazing like Deus ex 1 and Shadow man 2nd coming(i feel sorry for those who sell them[but im happy they sell me their ps2 systems AND their electronic typewriters-maby i'll buy their used laptops and seperate printers in like new condition!]). But sadly they don't make those ps2 discs playable on my ps3 when ps1, ps2, ps3 are Playstation games. OH, Black Mesa is a remake of Half Life 1, only available on a PC. Time to buy one hits me at every corner, hahaha. This thread was fun[nny]. 2030- "Im hungry time to order a pizza. Oh i need a smart phone to order a pizza. Can't even eat without a computer. And this is the modern age???", hahaha.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-03 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in