WHY don't they make new word processors to print on paper WITHOUT a computer? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 08:45 AM
Veteran

Actually, there used to be electronic word processors, but they were done in by computers.

Here's some info about Wang word processors.

There was also the Radio Shack WP-2. There were others, but since word processing could be done on a computer, they disappeared.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

***I see this idea of bringing back older technology like this is a common theme of yours;***

"I don't know why in this modern age they still don't make a compact harddrive recorder strictly for what VCR's used to do in the 80's, 90's for like $99. Well, when the modern age with all its changes kind of fails ya, its time to bring back the 80's.I'm going to connect my video tape recorder(VCR) to my Shaw satelite receiver and record my favorite show at 12 pm everyday so i could watch it at 3 pm."

---I thought of that idea 2 decades ago(as well as laptop or word processor that prints idea) and was always thinking when are they going to make it. A harddrive recorder with an rca video audio input to record shows from a satellitte receiver instead of using a vcr that gives you problems. but i know, i have to buy a satelitte receiver with a built in harddrive which is a great thing. They can also make a word processor with a built in light weight printer(just have to refill ink often) but they still dont want to.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-09-30 at 05:02 PM.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

***Actually,there used to be electronic word processors..Wang word proc.Radio Shack WP2,but since word processing could be done on computer,they disappeared.***

Those devices didn't have a light weight built in printer, and they were more like electronic typewriters with a word processor and an LCD display. Besides, those LCD displays were always too small and hard to read. As for 2017, at least they should make a light weight small laptop(maby that cannot get online??) strictly for printing words/sentences on paper with a light weight built in printer, it would be like the world's first digital typewriter(with no mechanical hammer that fails you) as a laptop but they dont make'em...yet?

Actually that typewriter with word processor I bought failed as soon as i plugged it in. The mechanism hammer was working but it remained stuck at farthest left side and couldnt move across. The seller shipped it poorly and probably got damaged during transit, that was the last straw for me, thats why i posted this thread.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-09-30 at 05:19 PM.

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:36 AM
Veteran

regarding post #17, in fact they do. You just have to add your own hard drive. One of mine is a little bigger than a VHS Cassette.
A raspberrypi is smaller than a VHS-C cassette that used to be in video cameras and doesn't need a hard disk.

regarding the word processor / printer rolled in to one. That would not be very compact.
The paper required to print your book would be bigger than the device itself. Get with the program and save a tree!
If you are that paranoid, encrypt your book with a private key (there is such a thing called RSA encryption among others), and only give the publisher or anyone else you wish,
the public key...

I like to repair antique tube radios from time to time. But that doesn't mean I wish to get my entertainment from AM radio.
My advice is to embrace advances in technology, not avoid them, otherwise you'll get buried.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think those devices had a light weight built in printer
A light weight, built in printer means special, expensive paper, similar to what some stores provide receipts on, those ones that fade, before the product warranty expires.

If you want a laser or ink jet printer, that can print on plain paper, then you're not likely to find a small printer.

Bottom line, use a notebook computer and a regular printer.

post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:48 AM
Veteran

That's been done already. Standalone DVRs are available that will record directly from composite video sources or broadcast TV. Check the Over-the-Air (OTA) Television Forums and search the main page for DVR. And, just to prove that PCs are not useless, I've been doing it with a PC for about 15 years.

Shaw satellite receivers are basically just a dedicated Linux computer with a satellite tuner added. DVRs and PVRs are just the same thing with a hard drive added. Any DVR is going to cost more than $99. The hard drives alone cost close to $99 and the computer, tuner and product development costs also need to be recovered. Shaw sometimes give away PVRs but recover the cost with inflated programming charges.

Anyone who wants to write a book a page at a time on paper is not being realistic. Yes, it was done for many years but it was a long and tedious process. Apart from maybe using vinyl records, there are very few people who want to go back to 1970s technology. The 1960s were better anyway. Sony transistor radio with 50% distortion and batteries that need replacing every 2 hours anyone? How about a 19" black and white TV with an incredibly bad picture that only receives 12 channels? Maybe a rotary home phone on a party line with 12 other people would be better entertainment. Can I interest you in a car that rusts out in 8 years from road salt and emits huge amounts of toxic pollution. Also up for grabs, a manual typewriter that is only capable of printing one letter at a time. Whiteout hasn't been invented yet so if you make a mistake the entire page has to be retyped.
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Anyone who wants to write a book a page at a time on paper is not being realistic. Yes, it was done for many years but it was a long and tedious process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
regarding the word processor / printer rolled in to one. That would not be very compact.
The paper required to print your book would be bigger than the device itself.
You insert 1 page at a time into the slot at left side of laptop keyboard, you type 1 page worth of words, make all the edits(easy viewable on laptop screen), then press enter and its printed on that 1 page that exits out at right side of keyboard slot. Always 1 page at a time, similar to when they insert 1 page into a typewriter but it would be a laptop. When writing a story from the beginning, it takes hours and even days, months of composing and editting 1 page at a time, so the extra seconds it takes to print 1 finished page is nothing.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-09-30 at 05:30 PM.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:11 PM
Veteran

^^^^
There's still the printing mechanism. Lasers and ink jets have mechanical parts that take space. There are printers that take little space, but require special paper that's a) expensive and b) fades with time. Do you really want that?

Just wanting something doesn't make it possible. Available technology and the laws of physics come into play.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Inflated prices for supplies would be a huge issue. It could cost in the hundreds of dollars to print a single book. I suggested a monochrome laser printer because printing costs tend to be much more reasonable. Compact models are available if size is an issue. Why not just glue a compact laser printer on the back of word processor? It would fulfill the requirements and be less less ugly than a 1970s electronic typewriter.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Why not just glue a compact laser printer on back of word processor?It would fulfill requirements
You mean that laser printer and a seperate word processor would print on paper without a seperate computer? Great idea.(not everything has to be done by using a computer ya know). I checked some reviews on amazon about a compact laser printer monochrome, it has a 16 charactor LCD display but sadly no built in keyboard(hahaha,but why not?), can it connect to a ps3 by USB?

On one or more of my posts on this thread, I typed the most words i can possible on my ps3, if i did this as i type my story on my ps3(and can easily make edits), all i need to do is view the edited work on screen, press triangle on ps3 hand controller, click file, then "print this screen" and it will print on paper by whatever printer thats compatible with ps3. Maby an app on the ps3 store will improve this. Its going to be a small 40 or 50 page book anyways.(really really weird story though).Thanks for replies.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-01 at 12:03 AM.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 10:12 PM
Veteran

I was joking about the glue. But yes, many modern laser printers can connect directly to any compatible device with USB, LAN or wifi. USB is the most common connection but LAN and wifi are becoming more widely available. I can print directly to my laser printer using any compatible networked device like a PC, word processor or by using the printer manufacturer's Android app on a phone or tablet. It can also print documents from a USB flash drive. Some printers require special drivers but others use standard formats that are recognized by many devices. Just make sure the printer is compatible with your word processor of choice before purchase.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good that all is needed is 1 printer and 1 word processor to print your words on paper. Sometimes if you just need 1 item, like lets say 1 bass woofer, you don't want to buy a whole stereo speaker set with the works and a receiver. Although buying 2 items(a printer and a word processor) for 1 purpose is still great but buying 1 item for 1 purpose is even better.

NOW about my 3d printer idea. Yes since 3d printers are known to make 3d objects layer by layer by using material. Can it make paper? How about a compact 3d printer with built in word processor and easy to read display and keyboard. Just type out your page of words, make edits, press enter and watch it print 1 solid (thin,flat) page of paper with of course whatever you typed.(or 100 pages, depending on how many words you typed). i really think there will be a 3d printer word processor just for this 1 purpose in the future- "not only it prints on paper, it makes the paper too".

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-01 at 12:02 AM.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Possible but probably not practical. Consider the cost. 3D printer, at least $1000 vs $100 (approximate depending on model.) 3d paper, unknown but made of plastic and most likely a lot more than the $0.01 a page for regular paper. 3d printer, complex software that requires a PC vs relatively simple text printing software.
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 04:28 AM
Veteran

I have a computer, but its a work laptop so I only use it for Work, but when I am not working, most of the time I am using my Android Tablet, It happens to be a Galaxy Tab 10, however I would like to move away from Samsung and move to LG in the not so distant future, I find LG to be higher quality product and want to un-associate myself with samsung.

Now with that said, I was able to download a WORD PROCESSOR onto my tablet, the word processor is called Microsoft Office, it was available on the Android App Store, I also have my house printer connected to my home network and the Cloud print driver installed properly on my Tablet AND phone. So basically if I really wanted to, and I have in the past, I can type out, and edit documents ON MY TABLET OR SMART PHONE, and PRINT THEM to my cloud connected printer WITHOUT HAVING A PC.

This has been possible for me for now what? 2 years and counting, not to mention my tablet also came with other word processing applications but I prefer the Microsoft one. I don't see the big issue here, This IS possible and probably going to be the norm now because a lot of people are slowly moving away from PC and moving to Tablet like devices
whitbyterry likes this.
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 10:04 AM

Is it Half Term or something.?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in