Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netgear Routers - Serious Security Flaw

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That is correct, though they may have their own security flaws not covered by this announcement. Also, don't forget DD-WRT. Any router firmware that has not been updated in the past two years should be assumed to have well known security flaws. That includes open source firmware. However, they are probably not as easily hacked as the flaw found in the affected Netgear routers. Any internet router or firmware with a default password should be assumed to be already hacked soon after being connected to the internet.

#4 ·
Didn't they patch this with a new firmware in the past week?

Also, don't know why people like to trash router makers if there is a flaw. Please show me one item made nowadays regardless of who makes it, and to which has a firmware to be updated, that never has a flaw or something. Anyone? Didn't think so.

#6 ·
Thanks for the warning. I'm so glad that me and my brothers don't have any Netgear Routers. A cousin was going to buy Netgear some days ago, but I suggest him another router from a different brand. I didn't knew about the security flaws but now I think I did the right thing. Feeling kind of happy now.

#7 ·
I wasn't trashing Netgear, just warning people about a security issue. The flaw is significant due to how easy it is to exploit. Don't know how Netgear distributes router patches. In my experience, end users are often not notified of firmware updates and many do not apply them even if they do know. If a fix is available, it needs to be applied now. It won't be long before unpatched routers start being hijacked by this exploit.

#8 ·
You can check for, and apply, software updates directly from the Netgear GUI. I'm not a Netgear pundit but you should be applying patches for home electronics as they are made available, just like any computing device.

That's a fact of life in the Digital world.

-Mike

#9 ·
One good thing about Netgear is that they do send notices when you register your product. I did get the email saying their router had a security issue and that it needed to be patched. I didn't do it right now but will in the new year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.