Can I add modern Ram to a 6 year old pc? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-24, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Can I add modern Ram to a 6 year old pc?

Hi, I have a 6 year old pc that is still working decently, but I'd like to add some ram in it just to extend it's life a bit more. The computer is perfectly fine running Ubuntu, but running Windows 10 with itunes slows it down a bit. I've read some mixed info regarding mixing ram, and at this point I'm not sure what I can add if anything. I'm hoping someone can answer or point out some options on Amazon.

My computer is an Acer Ax3400-B2802
In one slot it has a 2gig stick, in another it has a 1 gig (so it's using 3 gigs total)

I was hoping I could buy a 4 gig stick such as this and put it in the 3rd slot for a boost:
https://www.amazon.ca/Timetec-75TT13...s=4g+udimm+ram

Could someone tell me if that stick would work?

Another seller is offering a 2 gig stick for more money that is guaranteed compatible,but I've read that adding ram to the 3rd channel without using the 4th may decrease performance because it's not dual channel anymore. I don't really know what I'm talking about though, I'm confused and a bit out of touch
https://www.amazon.ca/Memory-Aspire-.../dp/B00BI5RZ7M

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks!

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-24, 09:45 PM
Veteran

You can be only use memory that works with your PC.

Go to crucial.com

Put in your PC and it will tell you what memory you need.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-25, 07:31 AM

You are not running dual channel now for that you need two identically sized sticks installed. The link says best you can do is 8gb (4x2gb) of DDR3 1333mhz ram now if you can get the 1600mhz cheaper then it will just drop back to the speed needed in theory. Sometimes that theory does not always hold true but for the most part it does. Your best bet would be to see if you can find one of the triple channel suckers who has upgraded and has a 3x2gb set laying around and use all three with your existing 2 to get the 8 total your machine supports.

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-a...0-u2022/specs/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-25, 10:16 AM
Veteran

I would put in 2 dual channel kits 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory. I quick search turned up several kits for about $35 each plus shipping. It might be possible to do better, especially today (Black Friday.) Take care to install the matched pairs in the correct slots since minor timing differences can cause errors. The removed RAM can be sold for a few dollars.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-25, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm not looking to spend more then $40 since the pc is older, if I bought this and put it in channel 1 & 2 and moved the existing ram over would that work? I know it's not optimum because the ram is mixed but I'm hoping I'd see a performance bump. Thoughts?

Corsair Vengeance 4 GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz PC3 12800 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1.5v Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit, CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9

Thanks for all the replies!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Putting in one dual channel kit would help if there is a memory shortage causing paging. That's quite likely with 3GB of RAM. This PC won't accept anything larger than 2GB sticks. Dual channel kits are optimum but mixed RAM will be better than paging caused by insufficient RAM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Putting in one dual channel kit would help if there is a memory shortage causing paging. That's quite likely with 3GB of RAM. This PC won't accept anything larger than 2GB sticks. Dual channel kits are optimum but mixed RAM will be better than paging caused by insufficient RAM.
Thanks I really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in