Google Wi-Fi - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-10-07, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Google Wi-Fi

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on this new product?

Google unveils mesh-networking Wi-Fi access points | bit-tech.net

Google unveils mesh-networking Wi-Fi access points

It should be superior (so Google says) to access point + extender, which is what I use now. Some day, real soon now, I will be getting more into streaming TV, as opposed to the current Shaw cable setup.

If so, the prime TV is far from the extender, and even farther from the Shaw access point.* Our extender works fine for browsing on a tablet in that far-away room.* But as to watching a high-rate TV stream (thinking 4K here), it may be dicey.

Definitely, the final answer will come after field tests, but I do wonder about the potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-10-07, 05:26 PM
Veteran

^^^^
While I can't speak specifically about this device, in general "mesh" WiFi generally means a single controller for multiple access points, instead of each AP having it's own controller. This results in better roaming from one AP to the next.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-10-07, 06:35 PM

I'm looking forward to this myself. We have heavy demands on our wifi network in our home. A mesh system would help divide up the load.

Unfortunately it won't be available in Canada right away, I'm told?

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-10-08, 09:21 AM
Veteran

It's still an extender which will have issues when compared to a wired access point. If possible, it's always better to install a centrally located wired access point. Don't know what Shaw router is being used but what I see are wireless N routers which will do a poor job of supporting multiple repeaters. Google appears to be pushing 3 repeaters, which makes sense since mesh technology would be next to useless with just one. The first thing to do would be install a wired AC router (rated 1200Mbps or higher) as an access point in a more central location. Then look at repeaters if they are still required.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-11-16, 05:40 AM

I think it's a fine product. But I don't think we shouldn't expect so much from it.
But as you said, we need to wait and see how it goes after the field test.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-11-16, 08:58 AM
Veteran

That was my concern with this when it was announced.
That its just a bunch of repeaters in general.
I guess from some of us, coming from a decent background, we KNOW that this is not the best setup, compared to other options.

But that it not who Google is aiming for. They are aiming for the user who doesnt know a thing, and wants a simple solution.

Does this one have the 'voice' activation stuff too? Or is it that other unit only?
Its kind of cool, that it uses the same search technology as google search, as in you can say "Play a song by the singer with the weird outfits" and it would play a lady gaga song, etc.
BUT.. it leaves open the whole 'privacy' thing. Its ALWAYS listening. Those queries are not just local, they do go out to google to parse and get a response. What is potentially done with the data sent, etc?

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-11-16, 10:11 AM
Veteran

The voice activation stuff is Google Home: a completely different product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-11-16, 11:08 AM
Veteran

I, too, would be concerned about what Google is doing with these repeaters. They are almost certainly going to be tracking activity in order to generate ad revenue. That opens the possibility of Google using the repeaters to directly insert ads into web browsers and other applications.

Google is already much too pervasive and invasive for the good of the most people. It's one thing to take a free product or service in exchange for a few ads. It's another to divulge enough personal information that provides a company the power to alter your life. (I consider most corporate advertising to be a form of brain washing.) Even worse is that these repeaters are not free, they aren't even cheap and offer little of value in exchange for the personal information they can reveal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in