DLink Router and Laptop Not Connecting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

DLink Router and Laptop Not Connecting

We purchased a new DLink DIR 810L router to replace our old DLink router that was not working well anymore. I can connect all devices except for my Compaq (HP) laptop. It connects but says it is "local only" - no internet.

Used the online DLink support and they directed me to the phone support ... where I was told that this is a known issue with Compaq (HP) laptops running VISTA. I need to update the network drivers ... but I cannot find them to download and my laptop is not connected to the internet anymore.

It is a Compaq Presario CQ60 208CA. Am at the point of wondering if a different router would be easier to fix this, but am also thinking I would be in the same situation. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 07:53 AM
Veteran

One has to wonder what's different between the old and new routers. Are you using the same encryption method? I'd expect the new router supports 802.11n, but the old one just did g. This leads to the possibility of encryption type causing the problem. 802.11n mandates WPA2, whereas g allows WPA or (horrors) WEP.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Both routers (old and new) support or are supposed to support 802.11g. The other router was a Dlink DIR 615. The new one, the 810L is supposed to be backwards compatible and support g/n.

The laptop is 802.11g you are correct ... older laptop but still works and is used daily.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 10:34 AM
Veteran

^^^^
What encryption are you using with the new router and with the old? If the old one was WPA and the new WPA2, then that could be the cause of your problem. Many older devices supported WPA, but not WPA2. Is the new router configured to support 802.11g? You can generally configure them to support whatever WiFi versions you want, so you might have n enabled, but not g. My access point is configured to support n only, though it is also capable of b & g.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 12:51 PM

The new router undoubtedly does WPS. Does the laptop? I presume it is an internal adapter as all external ones seem to have a wps button. The Dlink will attempt to negotiate WPA2 Personal and the laptop should go along with that....that is what SHOULD happen anyway.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 01:06 PM
Veteran

^^^^
WPS is just a simple means to set up WiFi. It's not needed as manual configuration can always be used and is more secure.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 02:07 PM
tux

If it's a driver issue, the latest drivers for your Compaq (updated in 2014) can be found at the following link:

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP« Support

Find out which model of wireless network card is installed in your Compaq, update the drivers, and then try reconnecting. If you still can't connect wirelessly, find out if you can connect through a wired Ethernet connection.

The problem may also be correctable by installing Windows Updates. MS KB935222 lists a problem similar to yours which can be resolved by installing Service Pack 1. If you do not have the Vista service packs and Windows Updates installed, install them first.

Last edited by tux; 2015-06-16 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Add information about Windows Updates
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
WPS is just a simple means to set up WiFi. It's not needed as manual configuration can always be used and is more secure.
Exactly. As I read the question, the OP was not getting connected. If he was getting some configuration wrong then WPS would, in my experience, get it right and get connected...that would show that all the h/w and s/w components were working at both ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Possibly consider a USB wireless dongle for a few bucks. Online they are cheap and may get you into the modern wireless world and just ignore your older laptop device. I have one of these even though my laptop wireless is fine.

Actually look at your router configuration more closely. You are connected but not allowed out to the internet, so perhaps you can allow the mac address or change some other config in your router.
I don't think it's encryption because you got to the router, but then again what do I know?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-17, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I confirmed that I am WPA and that 802.11g/b/n are configured and the laptop is still not connecting. I will look to try and download the drivers (thanks Tux).

If that does not work I will have to look to a higher power ... tech support.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-17, 07:37 AM
Veteran

^^^^
What encryption method are you using?

Also, turn off 802.11b if you can. It can really slow down everyone in the vicinity that's on the same channel.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-17, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

The router is configured as WPA/WPA2 and I will look to support g and n only (am not at home currently).
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-17, 09:57 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Assuming all devices support WPA2, that's the preferred way to go. Otherwise enable both and those devices that can use WPA2 will do so and those that can't will use WPA, which isn't as secure as WPA2. So, get that computer going with the updated drivers and see if it supports WPA2.

In general, the most secure method is WPA2, with AES and CCMP.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-17, 02:08 PM
tux

The only devices that I've seen that still don't support WPA2 are handheld gaming consoles, like the Nintendo DS or the PSP. If your router supports it, go WPA2/AES.

Once you've updated your drivers, I recommend going into the Network and Sharing Centre, Manage Wireless Networks, and deleting all listed networks. After doing that, click on the "Connect" button in the N&SC, select your network from the list, and enter your passphrase. You shouldn't have to go into any advanced settings or properties windows to get this to work.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Sadly I have done everything and the laptop still will not connect. I have everything else working, including the Ninentdo Wii U, 3D DS, ipods, phones, tv, etc.

Not sure why it will not connect and off to a higher power it looks like. I appreciate all the support in this forum, it has been fantastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in