Info on SSDs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Info on SSDs

Hi.

I'm new to the SSD and I'm looking to get one for my home desktop.

Can anyone tell me some features that I should definitely get when looking for an SSD?

And what should I avoid?

Lastly, if you know of a super deal on a quality product, please do let me know.

I'm thinking around the 250GB range because it seems that those are about $100, which is what my budget is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 02:10 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi, please tell us about the SATA specifications of the machine that you intend to install one into, and let us know which OS you will be running.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 05:39 AM

Stampeders questions are the most important.
I agree that 240-250 Gb is the sweet spot for price at the moment with the 440-512 size starting to drop to a decent price. My three home desktops have all been retrofitted with SSD. They run W7 and W10

All mine are Samsung 840 drives bought at various times ( and prices!) Intel and Crucial both have a good reputation for these devices.

Transferring the system onto SSD does need some preparation if you have a machine with a big drive and lots of data to determine what apart from the OS should be moved...the SSD manufacturers try to make it sound simple but as you do not want to put any really volatile data ( like TEMP or the Browser cache ) onto the SSD it takes some thought.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 09:09 AM
Veteran

I have been using the Kingston SSD drives here for over a year now.. haven't had an issue yet.
(both desktops, and as laptop replacements).

In some cases, it was a just drive clone from the old regular platter drive to the SSD.

Already a HUGE performance boost, on Win 7.
(though win8 or 10 will probably have a BIGER performance boost with the SSD)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

SATA II and Win 7.

I have 12 GB of RAM, hoping to run a VM with Linux. And maybe MacOS if that can be done.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 06:03 PM

I have 4 brand SSD's in my computers: I have Crucial, Samsung, Intel and Sandisk. All 4 vary in price and quite frankly, the loading times of my Windows 7 configurations, seem to be about the same on all 4 computers.

To say brand ABC is better than DEF, to me is irrelevant. They look the same to me just different prices.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 06:24 PM

Another option is the Seagate Hybrid drives - 1 TB drive with 8 GB SSD, about $120. Simple explanation, drive moves the most used data to SSD portion.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
SATA II and Win 7.
Any major brand SSD drive will be fine. Barring any known defects or high failure rates for a particular model, I would purchase on price for this system. SSDs in general are very reliable and typically exceed published lifetime ratings. As one reviewer recently said, it's almost impossible to wear out a modern SSD under normal home use. Some types of SSD memory will last longer and/or provide better performance but usually also costs more. The Samsung 850 EVO is an easy recommendation for a budget drive.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Picked up a PNY for $100.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 03:37 PM

I'd also think about picking up paragon software. They've got a simple migration tool to go from a hdd to a ssd. Used it on both laptops and it worked flawlessly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in