Ancient computer DEC PDP-8 50th anniversary next week - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-17, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Now you've trashed the thread. Our memory was smaller than your memory. Our IBM 1401 had 8K memory and I used the 132byte printer buffer to enhance a program when no memory was left. exec...jump to print buffer...exec...jump out of print buffer.
30 other programmers didn't think of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-17, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
I seem to recall the PDP-8/i had 4K 12 bit words, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

Anyone else here remember the PDP-8 RIM loader, where you had to toggle in and execute several instructions, to boot from the hard drive?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 07:41 AM

Lol ... yep ... RJE station had to be reboot every morning. Had to toggle in the bootstrap to actually read the cards to run the RJE station. The HALT light was a real bummer! !!!!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
I seem to recall the PDP-8/i had 4K 12 bit words, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

Anyone else here remember the PDP-8 RIM loader, where you had to toggle in and execute several instructions, to boot from the hard drive?
Hard drive....on a PDP-8! You toggled in a boot loader which read a paper tape into memory. At EOF on the tape the boot loader did a jump to the start of the program which IIRC was at something like address 64 I page 0. Fancier late model PDP-8s the boot loader could read from a DECtape.
Yes 4k 12 bit words with IIRC an expansion to a second 4k which you had to page into to use.

I just found a site www.gunkies.org with all the PDP-8 details. Up to 32k and the later versions could have hard disk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Happy 50th, PDP-8!

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 08:25 AM

I still remeber the old days and carrying a large stack of punch cards to the card reader and along the way dropping them on the floor and spending hours resorting them again.

Old computer memories are not always fond ones!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
I used to have to rewind long punched paper tapes, after they'd passed through the reader, though this was with a Data General Nova system, not the PDP-8

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 12:45 PM

My dad had a PDP/8 in his small engineering firm's office. Sometimes when I would visit he would help me load a moon lander game from paper tape and then let me play the game. The interface was a teletype. I never managed to land successfully - it was too hard for a 10 year old! I remember being amazed when they got a DEC tape reader - it looked so futuristic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in