Black Screen of Death - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Black Screen of Death

I run an HTPC system, and yesterday while trying to launch a video file, the screen went black. I restarted and got start up graphics just fine, and then when windows launches, the windows welcome music plays, the screen goes to black. In safe mode everything is fine, so I know my connections are all good. Running a virus scan in safe mode now, but apart from that I'm not much of a troubleshooter, so any help is appreciated ! I have rolled back display driver but no difference.I'm running an AMD A4-3300 with on board HD video if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 10:48 AM
Veteran

I am guessing but it could be the video mode has been changed to one that is incompatible with the TV. It's also possibly an HDCP issue. I would connect it to a PC display to troubleshoot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

plugged pc directly into TV ( Viera P50VT25 ) and it worked fine. Problem appears to be in the receiver ( Denon 2112ci ) Bluray player works perfectly though, so not a simple output issue. I've tried switching hmdi inputs, but same thing - splash screen is fine so connection is definitely there, but goes to black on windows welcome.. Totally perplexed...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 12:23 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I seem to recall that some versions of Windows had a change on January 1 so that an HDCP issue came up that was not there before. A firmware update on the AVR may help, or perhaps an update to other software?

HDMI FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Tried updating firmware on Denon - it's up to date. I've been using this setup every day since Jan 1st, so doesn't make sense why this just happens out of the blue (?)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Have you tried unplugging the Denon receiver? I would be tempted to unplug everything for a couple of minutes to ensure a cold reset.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Yup, tried the unplug thing, and just did a processor reset - no difference. Again, I do get a display on a direct connection to the panasonic - however, when hooked up this way and when trying to change display settings, windows explorer crashes and resets every time - and I cannot play any kind of video file either - every program - VLC,Jriver and windows media player crashes. Even NextPVR crashes when trying to play live atsc.

Audio files play fine.

Maybe I have a virus ? Will try a full scan. Any other suggestions welcome. At worst I have a pretty fresh windows I could restore to..

Last edited by Foxenhimr; 2015-02-08 at 02:57 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 09:31 PM
tux

Sounds like a driver issue. I'd try uninstalling the AMD drivers (in safe mode, if necessary), rebooting, and installing the latest AMD chipset & "Omega" display drivers off the AMD website. Before reinstalling, I'd also note whether the HDMI works with the drivers uninstalled; if so, that would confirm the problem to be driver-related.

If you're using a laptop, another thing to try would be to press Win-P (hold down Windows key and press P) to bring up Projector mode options, which allows you to select which output, or both, to use.

You also didn't mention which OS your system's running or if you're running a desktop or laptop; you should either be running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1, fully patched. If you have 8.0, install the 8.1 update; if you have 10.0 Technical Preview uninstall it. Win10 has several video driver issues, especially with the latest build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in