VPN set up for home network for devices that have no native VPN capability - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

VPN set up for home network for devices that have no native VPN capability

I hope I'm using the correct terms!

I used to set up my main router so that it would put my entire home network on a VPN (eg. StrongVPN) but some people at home didn't like it as they became geo-blocked for local services. So I've reverted back to the usual internet service and for devices like PCs/laptops/Ipads/smartphones, etc. I set up the VPN connection on the device itself and then enable it whenever desired.

However, a handful of devices (example WDTV) have no ability to set up to connection through a VPN on their own. Is there some comparatively easy way to set something up for these devices so they can utilize my VPN service? Ideally I'd like to keep it on my 192.168.1.x network although if there's an easier way I'd be open to that.

I have a spare router flashed with DD-WRT if useful. I asked on the DD-WRT forum but the conversation was WAYYYY over my head technically.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Might be a bit dated but does this help?

There is also the DD-WRT VPN Wiki and VPN (the easy way).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, let me investigate this and I may be back for more questions.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Uh oh, I see my dd-wrt router (which I was hoping to use as a secondary router) is a WRT54G v8.0, which only appears to support the micro version which does not have the VPN tab on "services".

My main router is a Netgear WNDR4300 with stock firmware (the main router I talked about in post 1 died earlier this fall - it had dd-wrt on it). I'm nervous to put dd-wrt on it as it seems to have issues from what I read online.

Any other ideas (other than buying a new main router that has better luck with dd-wrt)?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 08:03 AM

You only need a single PC set up for a connection and from that PC connection you could connect to the other devices in the home network.

I do that using Teamviewer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on a PC would work. It would require a wireless adapter or an extra NIC port for a second network connection and would need to be left on. That's not a great solution. Picking up a second router may be the best way. It wouldn't need to be a high end model, just have decent wi-fi performance and be able to run DD-WRT. There should be some deals around for Boxing Day. A used router might also be an option. A wireless router should support the wireless N standard. The WRT54G is limited to the G standard which is outdated for newer devices. The newest routers support AC but they are still a bit pricey.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-18, 05:47 PM

Hey... I found your question googling something rather similar earlier today. Check out http://www.flashrouters.com/blog/201...ondary-router/ . I have an ASUS RT-68 and will give this a try. I had no problem getting IPVanish to work on it following the instructions here: https://vpntips.com/vpn-router-install/

I am not sure what kind of interference I will run into yet, as I just fiddled with this today ;-)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 03:37 PM
Leo

Here is how i do it..

I have an Apple Airport extreme as my main wireless router for NON-VPN access, i bridged an Apple Airport Express at another spot in the house, into that i have a DD-WRT router plugged in, effectively giving me two wireless access points in the house, one NON-VPN and the other setup with Strong VPN.. works great

Leo

Tags
vpn setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in