Anyone have any experience with Virtual Machines? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 09:32 PM
Veteran

A little late chiming in here. XenServer could also be used but then the host would be dedicated to that role. One thing I really like it is it is able to copy the hardware ID from the box and pass it to the O/S. This allows you to virtualize OEM versions of Windows. I have never tried Virtual Box myself but I have always heard good things about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-11-04, 09:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile Free Windows OS Images for VirtualBox From Microsoft

Wayne, if you choose to use Oracle VirtualBox you can legally download your choice of recent Windows OSes for free from Microsoft in fully functional vbox format from here:

https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtuali...ools#downloads

Those images are ostensibly for testing and research of IE browsers so they have a time limit and a watermarked desktop, but are otherwise complete and fully functional within VirtualBox on Linux, OS X, or Windows. The time limit is no big deal since you can just save your work and reinstall another one, then add your work to the new one. WARNING TO ALL: READ THE LICENSE AND INSTRUCTIONS!

Also it is now possible to install OS X Yosemite on an Intel-based virtual machine but you'll have to search for those instructions online.

post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 03:50 AM
tux

^ I would recommend against using Modern.IE VMs as a long-term solution, or for other than "testing" purposes.

If you download one of these VMs, you are limited to a single-user environment on a single VM, with an unactivated copy of Windows that expires after 90 days. Additionally, you are only licensed to use it for "testing" purposes, and are specifically prohibited from using it in any commercial or "live" operating environment.

So if you wish to run short-term software testing on a particular version of Windows or IE, Modern.IE is for you. For other short-term uses, you may consider downloading a 90-day trial version of Windows, and if you need a Windows VM for long-term use, you should consider purchasing a full license.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 08:07 AM

I am running Win 8.1 as a Hyper-V host with 6 vm clients. These are all legally license. I am have 2 x WHS 2011, Win 7, Win 10 and 2 Ubuntu servers. I have been running this configuration for many months with zero problems.

This is actually a very inexpensive way to get a fully licensed and powerful server. The hardware is far more expensive. ..ie 30tb is expensive
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-02-06, 05:49 AM
Rookie

There are a couple of free virtualization products that you can use, such as Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Player. I've been using VMware Player for a long time and I can recommend it. It doesn't have as many features as VMware Workstation, but it's free and enables you to create virtual machines, so you can download an ISO file and just install it inside a virtual machine, just like you would do on a physical machine.

You can download the Ubuntu ISO image from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You can the install Ubuntu in a VM using that ISO image. Here are the instructions:

http://vmware-player.com/install-a-g...stem-manually/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in