Anyone have any experience with Virtual Machines? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 02:07 PM

Another problem with running a VM entirely on a flash drive is that the VM's virtual hard disk will reside on the flash drive. Most operating systems do a fair amount of reading and writing to their system drive. Flash drives are capable of only a limited number of write cycles so you may end up wearing one out quite quickly.

If you want the convenience of plugabilty for a virtual machine, consider using a USB 3.0 or eSATA portable hard drive.

Or, what I do is use just a regular SATA hard drive with trayless plugable drive bays
StarTech trayless drive bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I just installed Win10 Tech Preview on a machine that I could use as a host. But Win10 Tech Preview will expire in a few months and/or I will want to move to the next beta of Win10. But from what you're saying that's not an issue?
I would actually recommend the opposite, run a stable host OS and use Win10 previews as the VM OS.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That's exactly what I am thinking - nuke the current Win10 install and install Ubuntu as the host OS and then add Win10 as a VM, especially since there will be new versions every few months or so.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-24, 06:12 PM

If you are using Windows 8 then I might suggest trying Hyper-V.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-24, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I am not using Win8, other than on an 8" tablet and I don't know that I want to run VMs on that. But I am guessing that it should work on Win10 TP which I have installed.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-25, 04:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The cheap/slow NAND flash that they use in USB flash drives makes it a bad choice to run an operating system on. Doesn't have anything to do with being a VM.
That is true for most disk operating systems. Some O/S are designed to work without disk access. In that case, the speed of the drive only affects initial startup (and shutdown if data is stored on the drive for future sessions.) There are some Linux distros that are designed for operation without disk I/O. Others can be configured to minimize or eliminate disk I/O.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-25, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetware View Post
If you are using Windows 8 then I might suggest trying Hyper-V.
That appears to require a CPU that supports SLAT. I tried that on my Win10 install and it complained that the CPU did not support that. The CPU is an E8500.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-26, 11:46 AM

That's an old chip so that makes sense.

All first, second, and third generation Intel Core i3/5/7 processors support SLAT and most fourth gen Core i3 & 5's have support too. i.e./ pretty much any Intel Desktop CPU released in the last 4 or 5 years supports it.

Windows 8 has a built in check to test whether your chip supports it or not.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ok, I am up and running. My host OS is Ubuntu 12.04 - I use this older version as it is what is installed on my VPS and I want to be able to try out stuff on a home PC before installing it on my VPS.

My machines is a Dell Optiplex 780 with an E8500 CPU with 4GB of RAM - I need to add more RAM!

I have installed two guest OSes. Linux Mint 17 and Win 10 Tech Preview. The Win 10 was a little tricky as you had to tell Virtualbox that you were installing Windows 8.1 - Other Windows didn't work. I have given each guest a fixed hard drive allocation.

The trickiest thing was networking as I want the guest OSes to be able to see my LAN and vice-versa. By default you have one NIC installed and configured to use NAT. That means that you cannot see the rest of your LAN.

I have added a second NIC to my Mint guest OS and used the Bridge option. I can now see other macines on my LAN and vice-versa - the guest OS now has an IP in the 192.168.1.X subnet like my other PCs. Is this the correct way to configure the networking on my VMs? (I haven't got around to making this NIC change on my Win10 guest OS yet).
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 04:47 PM

You should be able to use bridge mode without having to add a 2nd NIC.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
By default you have one NIC installed and configured to use NAT. That means that you cannot see the rest of your LAN.
I have only one NIC in my Windows 7 VM. It can access the rest of my LAN, but other computers can't access it due to NAT.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
You should be able to use bridge mode without having to add a 2nd NIC.
When I googled this most of the hits I got talked about having multiple NICs - some of them mentioned using three NICs. So I can just change the First NIC to bridge and all of my VMs will see all other VMs, my host PC and other PCs on the 192.168.1.X subnet?

@JamesK - that was the way it was working for me originally but I would prefer having my VMs have the same network connectivity as a real PC on my LAN, especially if I want to share files, map drives, etc. Setting up the bridge does this, does it not?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-30, 12:33 AM

Works that way on my Mac.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-30, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Right now I have the following config:

VM1 - Linux Mint - Adapter 1 set to NAT, Adapter 2 set to Bridged. VM can ping LAN, LAN can ping VM, VM can ping host and host can ping VM. This is what I want

VM2 - Win10 - Adapter 1 set to Bridged (no other adapters). VM can ping LAN. LAN cannot ping VM. VM can ping host. Host can ping VM.

So it looks like I need to set up as in VM1 to be able to get the network access that I want.

One other thing - my VM is running extremely slowly. Is that due to lack of memory? Does it swap out to the hard drive like a page file?

edit - @905schmick - Can other PCs on your LAN ping your VMs with this config

Another edit - maybe it is an OS thing as I have now added the bridge on VM2 which is running Win10 and I still can't ping it from another PC on my LAN. I have shut off the Windows firewall and that doesn't change things either.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2014-10-30, 01:35 AM

Yes, my bridged VMs can talk to the rest of the hosts on the LAN. I only do this for a few VMs that need this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in