RAM Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

RAM Question

Wondering if I can put lets say two 2GB DDR2-6300's cards in the first 2 slots then keep the other 2 slots at 1GB DDR2-6300. Do I have to keep the ecc, and brand all the same?

What I have now is four 1GB DDR2-6300 however I am unsure of the brand, its a HP Pavilion computer from 2007/2008.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 04:16 PM
Veteran

You may be limited in terms of how much memory the motherboard supports (I'd do a search for the manual for your system}. Also, if you are running a 32-bit Operating System, you won't be able to use more than the 4GB of memory you already have.

Given the age of the system, I'd also think adding more memory really won't help things much, as you're probably bottlenecked in other ways (CPU, for instance}

Edit: Let me just say this now: Perhaps it would be better to actually read some things we posted in your original thread; for the money you are throwing aimlessly at this computer could have been spent on a basic newer one that would already perform a lot faster than what you are using.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Mixing makes, sizes and speeds of RAM is not usually an issue. Just make sure that they are paired correctly (in the right slots.)

As already stated, the motherboard must support more than 4Gb of RAM. That's easily checked on the makers web site. A board from this era may or may not support that much RAM. It may also require a BIOS update to do so.

As also stated, a 64 bit OS, such as Win7 64, will be required. That's also easily determined by looking at the System properties.

Win7 should run fine with 4GB of RAM. I would also be hesitant about upgrading the RAM on this system. RAM is a bit pricey right now and DDR2 RAM is basically obsolete. Removing or uninstalling unnecessary resident programs is often the best way to speed up a system. If the system is short on usable RAM, it may be better to tune the OS by determining what programs are using the most RAM and disabling or uninstalling those that are not needed.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 12:56 AM
tux

Mixing brands or sizes of RAM shouldn't be a problem, but all your RAM should be the same speed (as recommended by your motherboard manufacturer) and the RAM should be "non-ECC" (ECC is expensive and unnecessary for home computers).

As already mentioned, adding more RAM won't help you at all unless you have a 64-bit OS. If you're still running XP, more RAM won't do anything, and you'd be better off investing in a new computer rather than throwing good money into upgrading an obsolete computer system.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 02:25 AM
Veteran

Start up task manager and select performance. That may tell you what you don't need.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 06:01 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. It has to do with RAM so I think it is. I have an Intel iMac from around 2008. It came with 1 stick of 1GB pc2-6400. I've been looking around for more RAM, and I do realize it's an old unit, but don't want to get a new computer yet. I happened upon a free stick of 2GB pc2-5300. I just don't know if I can pop it in, or take out the 1GB too. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 06:26 PM
Veteran

Go to crucial.com. Select your computer and see if it is on the list.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-18, 04:19 PM
Veteran

The pc2-5300 should work. Ram speed is not usually an issue. The system should adjust to accommodate it by using compatible settings. (In the BIOS, RAM configuration should be set to Auto.) I would try the new alone RAM first and then with the other RAM to test for compatibility issues. Running a RAM test program on the new stick would be a good idea but is not a requirement. Any issues I've seen have been due to mismatched RAM in slots meant for matched pairs so avoid that if possible.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-18, 05:05 PM

Ok, thanks! Would be nice to see a bit of a bump on this old thing. I'd imagine the OS could be bogging it down. Maybe now I can try Mavericks I'm tech savvy but don't usually keep up with the latest and greatest stuff.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 10:21 AM
Veteran

There will be a boost if the system is paging to disk. That will be apparent in long delays and constant disk activity while running and loading programs. It can be determined by looking at system memory usage and paging activity. Little or no free RAM, high page file use and high paging activity all indicate the need for more RAM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 11:11 AM

Good to know. Will have a look when I get a chance. I would love to tear this thing apart and put my 160GB SSD in it, but I'm sure there's a risk of damaging something or that it won't go back together the same. It's the aluminum iMac. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Mac discussion in this thread. Thanks

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 11:55 AM
Veteran

An SSD would be a nice improvement. Conventional hard drives are typically the slowest component in a PC. Size permitting, mirroring the existing disk to the SSD would be the way to go. Replacing the hard disk should not break anything. I've never taken a Mac apart so I can't help with that. I would be tempted to keep both disks and use the SSD as the main drive but don't know if there is room for that in this PC.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 12:27 PM

I think they are physically the same size, although the mac might have a laptop drive. I forget which size the SSD is. I haven't kept up with computer stuff in recent years. It's only a 160 gig so I'd only want to use it for the OS. But I wouldn't want to use a USB drive for the other stuff, so I'd probably go with a NAS.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 12:44 PM
Wyl

Apple integrated the fan controls on the HDDs. If you replace the HDD with a SSD, your fan will run high speed all the time. If you have a quiet office it will quite noticeable.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-12-19, 01:01 PM

I've been running a fan control in the system utility since it was almost new, as I heard they had issues overheating, so I'm guessing this will still control the fans after a swap. I've always left the settings at their lowest (which was still higher than the default speed from what I remember) and it's been good to me for years. Sometimes I'll crank up all the dials to make sure all the fans still work. And I know what you mean, they sure roar Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in