Power Supply - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 11:27 PM

I understand all that Dilbert but at 2 o'clock in the morning when I have to finish a late night project, I would rather have a good reliable full of juice and spare to top it all , power supply than to have a system failing due to "insert reason here"and having to wait for a computer shop to open the next day only to find they don't have what I need.

That's just me, I won't change my ways, got burnt too many times and i'll leave it at that. I'm sure the Op has had his question answered and I really don't want to put this thread more off topic than it is heading right now. I will just walk slowly away and not cause any further disturbances. No harm done.

Danster

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-19, 04:55 AM
Veteran

That doesn't make any sense. Even a vastly overrated PSU can fail due to a faulty part or power spike. It's also not going to make the hard drive, motherboard or other components last any longer. A better grade of PSU with superior filtering, voltage regulation and overcurrent protection circuits will be better in that regard.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-19, 10:55 AM

You just like to stir things up, don't you? I never said a PS would make other components last longer. Having worked with and built computers since 1979, I know any component can fail. It won't matter what I will say, you will just shoot it down cause according to you, anything I write is senseless. Why should I bother.
I'm done. Enjoy the rest of the thread as I won't bother anyone anymore. No harm done.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 02:34 AM
Veteran

A better quality PSU is less likely to take out other components in the system if it falls, but that doesn't mean a higher-wattage power supply necessarily will.

(Was thankful the Corsair HX620 in my father's computer didn't take out anything else when it blew recently; most of the other components were less than 3 months old
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-22, 10:16 AM

When looking for a Power Supply to mate to your GPU, one of the things to be aware of is it's number of PCI-e connections that the PSU has and the number required by the GPU. For example my OC GTX760 needs one 6 pin PCI-e connection plus an 8 pin PCI-e connection. The PCI-e slot supplies 75 watts to the GPU and this is often all that is needed but a 6 pin PCI-e connection supplies another 75 watts and a 8 pin PCI-e supplies another 150 watts. So according to this my GTX 760 requires 300 watts for the GPU. From what I remember reading on a review on my card it only uses up to about 200 watts so the conclusion I've come to is that the manufacturers are over stating and over engineering the needs of the GPUs. This may be because the GPU manufacturers take into consideration that a lot of people are using crappy PSUs.

The GPU manufacturer states I need a 500 watt PSU, I happen to have a 600 watt.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-22, 10:47 AM

Another thing to look for in a quality PSU is an 80% or better efficiency rating. The best have a gold rating followed by silver and bronze.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-22, 01:38 PM
Veteran

^^Don't put too much faith in 80-plus ratings, but they can be a guideline. Have a look at this article for info:

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/10/0.../#.VEfdEHUanqA

Also note that 80+ Platinum PSUs are now available too. Should be at least 90-92-89% efficient at 25-50-100% load
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 03:13 AM

^^
Yeah sure manufacturers cheat. When I'm looking for a PSU I like to look for a manufacturer with a good reputation and even then I look for reviews. I have bought the odd PSU that has an unknown name but has good reviews, as long as the price is right and it's worked out fine for me as well. A lot of the PSUs aren't made by the name stamped on them, so looking at each PSU for a review is a good idea. As you say, the efficiency ratings are just a guideline.

Last edited by Interceptor; 2014-10-23 at 06:34 AM.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
even then I look for reviews
Good idea. When I bought a new power supply, a few months ago, I was shopping in Sayal. I searched on the Internet for reports on one they sold and the words "door stop" popped up. I then bought a Corsair, from Canada Computers for not much more (after rebate) than Sayal wanted for their door stop.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-23, 05:45 PM
Veteran

As Interceptor said, it's a good idea to shop by model, not brand. At least one reputable PSU maker has acquired competitors that made lower quality products and put their name on lower quality, acquired PSU products. There are also a number of different product lines within some brands that distinguish between different quality PSUs. The 450 watt PSU mentioned in the OP is an economy product within Corsairs product lines but it's sufficient for the PC described. Generally, top of the line PSUs offer features like better efficiency, higher PF, better power regulation and higher quality parts. It's not always worth paying the premium involved, especially for a replacement PSU or a budget build.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-24, 10:58 AM

Another thing to look for when making a quality build is PSU with modular cables. This way you only use the cables you need for your build keeping the case neat and having less interference with the cooling flow.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-28, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Making sure the PSU has enough of the right type of cables is a must as well. High powered GPU cards may require several 6 or 8 pin PCI-E power cables. Higher powered PSUs often include these while lower powered PSUs may not. A mismatched PSU will likely be missing a required cable or two and an overpowered one may have way too many cables and cause space issues in a smaller, budget case.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-28, 06:12 PM
Veteran

SilentPCReview is a very good resource for reviews on power supplies, especially if you care what they sound like.

Regarding powering video cards - unless you are building a gaming PC or want to drive three or more monitors then there is no reason for a discrete video card. Buy a higher end Haswell CPU and you are good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in