Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Do you have Java on your primary home PC?

• Windows YES

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Windows NO

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Mac OS X YES

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mac OS X NO

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Linux YES

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • LINUX NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

Do you use Java?

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Nighthawk 1 
#1 ·
Why or why not?

By Java I mean, well as these guys put it so succinctly

Java software for your computer, or the Java Runtime Environment, is also referred to as the Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, Java plug-in, Java plugin, Java add-on or Java download.
This poll is not intended for tablet or phones.

#2 ·
~ > whereis java
java: /usr/bin/java /usr/bin/X11/java /usr/share/java /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz

#4 ·
mplab is one application that uses java. probably 1/2 a dozen others...

#6 ·
I don't have Java on my primary PC because of the following logic:

1. I try to stick with best-of-breed software
2. Best of breed software/apps aren't written in Java (almost by definition, it's very easy for native software to out-compete Java software)
3. Avoiding Java has other benefits because it eliminates a popular attack vector for malware

I do have Java on my Mac Mini because it has a copy of Xamarin on it, but I try to limit the pollution, so I think that's the only computer that actually has a copy of Java on it.

#7 ·
I have Java installed because some site or sites at some time required it. Would rather not have it installed. Don't want Flash either but it's installed for the same reason. Ditto with Silverlight (installed for Netflix.) They are all a security risk and will hopefully be replaced with HTML5 but I doubt that will happen quickly.

Note that Java is a standalone programming language. JavaScript is a separate product that is integrated into many browsers. JavaScript is more likely to be used by web sites.

#8 ·
I could not answer because I wish it was a multiple-choice poll. I run Java on several Linux and OSX devices, and I'm a bit pressed to decide which of the Linux machines is the primary. Also one of my Linux testing boxes is polluted (to use audacity's word) by a virtual machine image of Windows 7 Ultimate, the ultimate attack vector for malware and viruses even though fully updated and AV protected, and it runs Java as well. Hint to newbies: always run the weaker OS in a virtual machine on the stronger, safer one. ;)

#10 ·
Windows No.

Javascript is all you need. The need for Java is basically extinct and over
the years have proven to be a source of malware and others onto PC's.

If you need to use Java, Flash, etc, but not all the time, install a "quick java"
add-on to your browser and it's add on bar for quick enable/disable options.

With some browsers you have to go to options which takes a few extra steps.

#11 ·
Why or why not?

By Java I mean, well as these guys put it so succinctly ...

Maybe it would have been better if you had defined "use" instead of Java :)

The product I work on is primarily written in Java (except for the client side). The product is a NMS (Network Management System). Java is still very common in that space.

Do I use Java outside of work? Not that I know of, except, as already posted, you may have an application installed which is Java-based and may have installed a JRE. Did a few tutorials to learn the language a few years back (Java After Dark is a pretty good book for that -- the projects in it were fun).

#12 ·
For me I decided to remove it and see how long before I actually needed it, if at all. Sounds like I was late to the uninstall party. :) Also, the opt out bloatware was annoying as were the frequent notifications to update. And each time I had to opt out of the bloatware. Well done Oracle. ;)

I also discovered I had version 6 and 7 on one machine. Not sure how that happened. I guess it does not remove older versions during an update.

#14 ·
If you go to this web page and it complains that you don't have Java installed, it should make you feel better. At least, from a security perspective.

If an application you have buried some JRE in the depths of your system, but it isn't accessible in the normal directories, and it isn't in your path (">java -version" doesn't work) then the primary downsides of having Java on your computer are mitigated.

If malware cannot find your Java installation, then it can't exploit it.

#15 ·
just because you don't have the JRE / JDK installed it doesn't necessarily mean you are Java free.
No but fewer loaded guns laying around. ;)

I ran the link audacity posted (on a PC with java that is not mine) and Chrome blocked it for being out of date. :D At least there is the option of enabling it or not.

I just noticed this PC has a 32 bit and 64 bit version of java installed. And it is 6 not 7.

We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 32-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.

#17 ·
Some earlier versions of Java did not update properly so it is very possible that an insecure Java component is still on any system. Newer updates provide an option to check for older versions. It's a good idea to use it, or use something like Secunia PSI that will detect insecure files on a system. Java updates are such a PITA that there are probably lots of insecure installations.

#18 ·
If you need Java for just 1-2 tasks that are not the primary ones on your PC, run it on a Windows VM.
An average computer today is powerful enough to run a 2GB RAM/20GB HHD Windows VM under VMware Player (free) when it is needed.
Easy backup/rollback. No danger to your main system if Java screws something up inside your VM...

#26 ·
We are still using Java 6 Update 45 here. Our workstations are administered remotely so we are unable to fix that.

We get weekly lectures on internet security yet they are powerless to block the multiple phishing emails/day we receive. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.