Wanted: Suggestions for replacing Google Calendar with? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-08, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Wanted: Suggestions for replacing Google Calendar with?

I love Google Calendar but

Got this email today

Quote:
Important Announcement about Google Calendar Sync

Almost two years ago, we announced that we had ended support for Google Calendar Sync. Starting on 1 August 2014, this app will no longer sync events between your Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook Calendar.

You can continue to access all of your Google Calendar events at calendar.google.com or on your mobile devices. Follow these instructions to uninstall Google Calendar Sync from your computer.

- The Calendar Team
For the last three or four years, I have used Google Calendar to sync with my outlook into a family calendar which my wife and kids had access to. I could import Teamsnap calendars into it and it would all sync nicely for all of us.

Now Google has shut down access so I need a replacement.

Requirements (all the things I used to be able to do with Google <sigh>):
  1. Online Calendar
  2. Syncs both ways with MS Outlook
  3. Can sync public iCal's from apps like TeamSnap
  4. Can view in the iPad, iPhone Calendar application.

My family all have iPhones and/or iPads plus we have one Mac and multiple Windows PC's. I have an Android phone but after this, I will likely switch to Apple and try to consolidate to just Apple and MS.

Note, it has to do all these things or its of no value to my family and I so please don't suggest I stop using MS Outlook or switch to Linux etc. In addition, I want to avoid third party "add-ons" which seem to break alot. I had Gsync for quite a while but after about a year, it seemed to crash a lot and give me a lot of grief.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-08, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Requirements (all the things I used to be able to do with Google <sigh>):
  1. Online Calendar
  2. Syncs both ways with MS Outlook
  3. Can sync public iCal's from apps like TeamSnap
  4. Can view in the iPad, iPhone Calendar application.
I must be missing something here, but can't Outlook itself do all of these? As in, another Outlook account.

Alternatively, could you not migrate everyone from Outlook to Google Calendar? I know you said you don't want to abandon Outlook, but Google Calendar as your family calendar would cover all your other issues stated here (though I realize that might make new ones for you).

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-08, 08:46 PM

gSyncIt is a simple and reliable replacement for GoogleSync
http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit3/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-08, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I must be missing something here, but can't Outlook itself do all of these?
Are you talking Outlook the email client or Outlook.com? I know the software can't do this but I'm not sure about Outlook.com because I've always used Google.

ideally I want an online calendar that shows up in mine, my wife's son and daughters Ipad / iPhone calendars to which they can add events AND have it two way sync with my Outlook (the client software) program. I also need to be able to sync third party calendars like TeamSnap.

I'm going to investigate Outlook.com tomorrow as well as iCloud.com but when I looked several years ago, neither Microsoft nor Apple allowed me to do all this. Perhaps now it has changed.

Damn Google! First they took away Google Reader and now this!

Quote:
gSyncIt is a simple and reliable replacement for GoogleSync
As I noted, it was reliable when I bought it years ago but nowadays it failed miserably for me with Outlook 2013. I had to uninstall as I was using it to sync Contacts. I found the Google Calendar Sync much better than gSyncIt.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-09, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
... it failed miserably for me with Outlook 2013.
Oh, 2013. Never used that.
I installed it on over a dozen 2007/2010 MSOffice PCs without issues.
Talking only about Android phones on the mobile side - Nexus and Galaxy...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-09, 01:21 AM
Veteran

Interesting, I thought that Google had already dropped support for the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Pity. Doesn't Google still support this if you've got a paid Google Apps account?

I'm pretty sure that Outlook.com has EAS support and that it would work just fine with Office 2013's Outlook client.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-09, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Since last Google announcement about end of life (more than a year ago), we already use an Google Calendar Sync alternative in our office – Sync2 (http://www.sync2.com). Quite a good solution that works. It’s not free, but you get synchronization of Google Contacts, Calendars and Tasks in one desktop application, with some advanced features, such as one-way sync and option to select and map folders in Microsoft Outlook to Google. Some of us, also use Sync2 as a way to sync Outlook with iPhone and Androids smartphones.
So, if someone ready to pay for something that is working it's really worth a try. Sync2 full version is free to try. There also resources like syncdroid.net where you can find all the alternative solutions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-10, 09:38 AM

Use Outlook.com for all your requirements, but I suggest you check out Cozi for the family calendar part of this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-10, 10:45 PM

I'd also suggest outlook.com as an alternative. The only piece I'm not sure about is iOS support, but I would imagine it does as MS has been pretty good about iOS apps for its cloud services. If the iOS calendar app supports EAS, then it's no issue.

A couple of other things about outlook.com that make it a great choice is the ability to alias your Gmail account and the fact that MS doesn't scan your email or calendar entries to target its advertising. That alone was my reason for switching from anything Google to MS.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-10, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Outlook.com works well with iOS.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-11, 11:10 AM
Veteran

i have a suggestion, you dont have to take my advice but i used to use google to synch my calender, contacts, and emails, but due to the never ending compatibility issues on any devices, ive stopped using google completely, and i simply use microsoft outlook (formerly microsoft hotmail) for all my mail, calender and contacts. i have synched up my smart phone with outlook and i find it synchs the info properly and acurately to al lmy devices.

Google/Gmail was giving me a hard time, so thas why i stopped using it, when ever i added an address on my phone, it was concatinating the address, city, province, postal code, all into one field on my google account, this was annoying. but on microsoft outlook/hotmail it adds it to the required fields properly. so the synch aengine on google wasnt compatible with some methods so it was doing some kind of work around? who knows, only google will tell but if they stopped synching support it just goes to show u how much time and effort they spend on fixing issues
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-08-11, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Google Calendar Sync Replacement

Now that the Google Calendar Sync has stopped working I found a replacement Outlook4Gmail. Although it isn’t free it works great, actually better than Google's own product did.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 07:31 AM
Rookie

I use evo collaborator for outlook, it not only synchronizes google account but also syncs with other carddav and caldav services like icloud, yahoo or fruux.

there is a tutorial here if you are interseted: synchronize gmail calendar and contact with outlook
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 05:59 PM
Rookie

As a Windows Outlook user, I was having a good 2-years of using Google Calendar Sync until the service was discontinued is discontinued back in 8/1/2014. After the "doom day", I was panicing and wandering around to seek for an alternative to Google Calendar Sync. Then I found <a href="http://outlookandmacosxserver.blogspot.com/2014/10/how-to-sync-blackberry-with-outlook.html">a blog</a> that discusses about another add-in called EVO Collaborator for Outlook which you can google it. Why I recommend it is that this add-in enables me to sync more than a handful of cloud services including gmail, icloud, yahoo, fruux plus on-premises servers like zimbra, owncloud and baikal. It does not matter what kind of service you use; you can sync them all with Outlook in two-way fashion. Best of all, I no longer had to import my contacts through so many steps taught by Google.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 10:56 AM
Veteran

I find the pinup calendar on the fridge works quite well for remembering appointments.
There is an accessory called a ballpoint pen that goes along with it. I find the combination of the two keeps me from forgetting appointments
and important dates. Because I actually wrote it down, my brain will remember.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in