How many devices on your LAN? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Okay, the next time my wife complains about the "3 ugly boxes" (modem, router, and UPS) hidden behind the couch I'm going to show her this picture! Thanks Wayne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 01:34 PM
Veteran

Here is my list:

Wired:
1 Mac mini
4 PCs
XBox 360
XBox 1
PS3
SlingBox
SlingCatcher
Apple TV
Panasonic TV
Blu Ray player
4 STB (Bell Fibe)
Epson Colour Printer
Vonage VoIP box
2 Wireless routers

Wireless:
Wii
4 iPhones
2 iPads
1 Nexus 4

Total:
29 devices
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Here is a pic of the "main" wiring termination point in the back of the basement. I did all the wiring myself, with the exception of the Telus installer who brought in the fiber line. The fiber line is the black ClearCurve wire dropping down from the top right hand of the picture.

The ATX case on the shelf is running Hyper-V (Windows Server 2012 R2), which runs various VMs. Its got 2x 4TB drives (raid 1) to backup other devices in the house, and 2x 3TB (raid 1) for various storage, and 2x 256GB SSD (raid 1) for boot/OS VHDX files, and 16GB of RAM. It's running a database, web server, network monitoring software, source control software, etc. It's convenient to place this box next to the main switch since it has multiple NICs, which is advantageous for a VM host.

The 24-port gigabit switch is the "main" switch in the house. It supports SNMP so that I can monitor network activity, and it supports STP so that I can connect multiple wired Sonos devices without getting broadcast storms due to multiple network paths that are created by that configuration.

Sitting on the left of the 24-port router are two HDHomeRun devices that are connected to a OTA antenna (so, 4 tuners). On the right is the Telus "fiber modem" (aka ONT), which is powered by the white UPS which is behind the upper-left of the HP printer.

The "fiber modem" is then connected to a port on the top patch panel, which goes to another point in the house where a Asus RT-N66U is running. Having two cable runs to each room is very helpful in these cases because it allows you to place a standard wireless router close to the middle of your house to maximize WiFi coverage, instead of having to locate it in the middle of the basement. This is something that is difficult to do if you only have one ethernet drop in the room where you want to locate your router.

On the bottom shelf you'll see a CyberPower UPS on the left, and a old (now retired) HP MediaSmart server on the right. The UPS is powering the server, the 24-port switch and the HDHomeRuns.

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 10:55 PM

Surprised I haven't seen more people with network printers. I don't have a printer at all anymore, but I thought wireless ones were all but standard these days

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 10:59 PM
Veteran

They are standard, I think both of those printers can connect via WiFi and Ethernet (they're using Ethernet). I forgot to list them in my list of devices on my network because I never think about them.

I think most people just have old printers from the time when getting a network jack on a printer meant a extra $250, that's all.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 07:47 AM
Veteran

^^^^
My printer, which I bought 7 years ago, is USB only. It is shared from the computer it's connected to.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 11:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
My printer, which I bought 7 years ago, is USB only. It is shared from the computer it's connected to.
This is the next best option.. but not everyone always has that PC on all the time, to be able to share it.

@audacity
NICE setup
I really wanted to do that at my current location.. but that we moved into a 20 year old house.. so definitely not pre-wired.. have not been able to do it that easily
I looked into running them now after the fast.. some of the MAIN floor would not be too bad as drop ceiling in the basement..but ALL the upstairs room, most of the walls to not line up with the interior..
Called a company about paying them to do it.. WAAAAY to much to be worth it :P

Currently, I have a BUNDLE of cables which go from the elec panel area (with a switch there to feed everything in the basement), over to where the cold air return is. They travel up the cold air return at least to the main floor, as it backs against where the TV/Entertainment area is. This is where I have my N66U setup.
I HOPE when my hot water tank get replaced.. to then be able to wire upstairs. Currently it vents through 4" up all the way to the roof. (furnace used to go there too, new furnace vents out the side). Once replaced.. I will have a nice 4" conduit I can use right up to the atic.. then can run stuff across there

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 12:08 PM
Veteran

@gdkitty, thanks! I put a bunch of effort into that ... I guess it was almost 4 years ago now. My, how time flies.

We added some in-wall speakers on the main floor which gave us access to the interior of that wall without needing any extra drywall/painting work simply by taking the speakers out when we needed access to the wall. We ran CAT6 cables from the basement (drop ceiling) through the main floor, up to the top floor. Then, on the top floor there is a small 8-port switch

On the top floor we just have a 8-port Netgear switch (powered over ethernet) mounted on a wall upstairs which is connected to the main switch that you saw in the picture, and the three top-floor bedrooms are connected via drops from the attic to interior walls which go back to the switch that connects the wires that were pulled from the basement.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it did take a full weekend to three people to run all the cable in the house. At the same time we were running audio cables for in wall and in ceiling speakers.

Also, at the same time we put a OTA antenna on the roof (a RCA ANT-751, based on the recommended antennas list from Stampeder's excellent Antenna Chart. That antenna has served us well, and it's not very big. We got the antenna cable all the way down to the basement by commandeering one of the coax runs that went from the basement to a interior wall in the master bedroom. Then we just connected it using a f-connector coupler to the RG6 cable that was run all the way up to the roof.

Also, we left "pull cables" in the wall to make it easier if we need to add any additional wires in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in