How many devices on your LAN? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Don't you also have to change the netmask on the devices on the 192.168.1.0 net as otherwise they will only have one way traffic to the 192.168.0.0 net. That's what I experienced in the past.
Yes, changing all the hosts on 192.168.0.0 would be the proper thing to do. I was trying to say that if you went from 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/23, you don't have to change all of the hosts ASAP, only those on 192.168.0.0 that need to communicate with hosts with 192.168.1.0 addresses.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 08:59 AM

Agree with 905shmick. By just changing the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 you would double your IP address capacity from 254 devices to 510 addresses. That should cover most people for quite some time in a home network environment.

While simple (dumb) switches do not take up IP addresses, Layer-2 (managed) switches do take up one address for their management portal. Wireless Access Points (WAPs) also take up one address.

It may have already been said that those that use more wireless devices, should manage their router's DHCP services a little more stringently. Ensure that you have locked down your wireless security, and use MAC filtering to ensure that neighbours aren't "piggy-backing" onto your network.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 12:16 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Given the ease of MAC spoofing, MAC filtering really doesn't stop much.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 04:51 PM

@TorontoColin The 17 computers are not on all at the same time. For example, one runs my Doctor Who Tardis MAME Arcade Cabinet, one is my PinMAME Pinball cabinet, another is my Video Poker Touch Screen Machine, one is my Jukebox, one controls my Christmas/Halloween Light show, another is my main server, another one in the wood shop, one in the theatre, and so on.

When I upgrade motherboards, the replaced one becomes a new toy.that I build myself. I now have a spare computer in parts awaiting to become something new. I just don't know yet plus it has to go through the Board Council. Read: Wife.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieFreak View Post
It may have already been said that those that use more wireless devices, should manage their router's DHCP services a little more stringently. Ensure that you have locked down your wireless security, and use MAC filtering to ensure that neighbours aren't "piggy-backing" onto your network.
And shut off WPS.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 05:29 PM
Veteran

How about posting some pics of your network setups? How many of you, and I'm sure there are some, have a 40U 19 inch rack in your home ?
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No rack for me - my setup is kind of ugly, but I will post some photos. My main switch is a 24 port switch and then I have lots of 4,5 or 8 port downstream switches/WAPs. And then lots of the devices are wireless as well.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101 View Post
How about posting some pics of your network setups? How many of you, and I'm sure there are some, have a 40U 19 inch rack in your home ?
I used to have enough equipment to fill one, but with the cost of power these days, I'm pretty much down to using smaller, low power gear as well as using virtualization to spin up various flavours of operating systems when needed.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Hmmm...
  • One Raspberry Pi server running Asterisk
  • One Cisco Analog telephone adaptor
  • Four IP phones
  • Two iPads
  • One Windows Phone
  • One iPhone
  • Two iPod Touch
  • One iMac
  • One Nexus7
  • One network printer
  • Three Airport wifi nodes
  • One Samsung SmartTV
  • One PS3
  • One ChannelMaster OTA DVR
  • One Apple TV
  • One Hue Light Controller (with 13 bulbs)
  • One Windows notebook

No 19" rack, but it does all terminate to a structured wiring cabinet, since I have two CAT6 drops in each room in the house, plus in the garage.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 10:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
have a 40U 19 inch rack in your home
No, but I have a Cisco 16 port 100 Mb switch, a firewall/router built with Linux on an old computer and an 802.11n access point up on the wall in my laundry room.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
No, but I have a Cisco 16 port 100 Mb switch, a firewall/router built with Linux on an old computer and an 802.11n access point up on the wall in my laundry room.
Until I consolidated (used to have a server box, my desktop box, etc, a media server box... which are all now combined for less power consumption).

You know that area, underneath a set of stairs, which is pretty much useless space? That's where I had all mine

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 10:59 AM
Veteran

I would be lose if it's mine is bigger than yours.

Total:11
Router:1
Wired:4
Desktop
PS3
Xbox 360
PS2/Xbox
Wireless:6
Laptop
iPhone
Wii
LG Blu-Ray Player
PSP
Samsung Laser Printer

I think that is it.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 05:39 PM

It would be hard for me to take pictures as I have a switch at 3 different places. Wires going everywhere, really doen't look professional. However, in the end, it just works and that is alright for me.

BTW, my switches are Netgears. One is 8 connections and the other 2 are 5 connections.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-27, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Right now, just 3 things hardwired and actively used.
That is the HD-Homerun, HTPC, and Blu-Ray player (it has WiFi though).

Wireless, three PCs, one phone.

I have around, another PC or two I don't really use, a TiVo Series 2 (and a couple more) a couple Shaw 6xx series recievers, a tablet that needs a touch screen, an Xbox-360 with RROD/Error 86, and an old DLNA box. I am on the verge of building another PC (or rather upgrading my HTPC with a new Kabini board and APU).

The network, as it is, is a WRT54G with DD-WRT and the DSL modem, next to the HTPC feeding the mentioned devices there, and a 5 port Ethernet switch in the work room, feeding the home office (old Win XP machine, set aside, Netbook on WiFi now used), living room TV (nothing now), and porch (nothing now), with a port for the workroom PC (old athlon PC, not used much).
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Here is a photo of my main wiring spot - I told you it wasn't pretty. This is where my home LAN wiring is terminated and it is where cable enters the house.

On the upper left is my 24 port switch. On the lower right of the cabinet is my Rogers CGN3 gateway (which is functionally just a modem as it is in bridge mode). Also on that shelf is my Asus RT-N66U router - unfortunately this is a terrible spot for a WAP since it is buried on the bowels of my large house. Hence the need for other WAPs.

In the photo you can also see a couple of RF distribution amps - one for OTA and one for cable. You can also see part of my SageTV home media server.

In the top right you can see a UPS and there is another one on the floor that isn't visible in this picture. In the bottom right of the photo there is a web power switch that can remotely power cycle an outlet from a web UI.

In several rooms I also have 8 or 5 port switches and I also use my WAPs as switches as well. For example I have at least two network drops in my main TV room but in the room I have an HTPC, IP cam, Xbox One, Xbox 360, HTPC, TV and AVR that all use wired ethernet.

p.s. I added a Philips Hue lighting hub on the weekend so I am up one more IP and I forgot the Bowers & Wilkins music player that is connected via wifi. That takes me up to 64 devices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in