which wireless router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-03-24, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

which wireless router?

Will be switching over to new ISP and getting their cable modem, but need some advice on what router to buy for my wireless wi-fi for the house? D-Link? Linksys? at Best Buy i see them range from $29-$149 and to me they look like all do the same thing, Just need it for ipad/laptop/cell when at home, nothing too fancy, don't need to spend a hundred bucks or anything, just something reliable and decent price... what model you recommend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-03-24, 10:14 PM
Veteran

One thing to bear in mind is that 802.11ac devices are now out, so you may want something that supports it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-03-25, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Don't get anything less than $60, look closer to $100, possibly over.

Get at least one with N300, probably Gigabit Ethernet. AC/5.8 Ghz if you need it.

I like Asus brand.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-07-07, 11:27 PM
Rookie

I bought the D-Link N300 Cloud Router to replace my 8-year-old Linksys router, since the latter (Wireless-G) could not handle my faster Internet speed.

The new one always gives me my full 20Mbps. So far, no problems. It's cheap, but it seems to work well.

Last edited by Jase88; 2014-07-08 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Removed retail link
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 02:42 PM

I decided on this D-Link AC1200 router. I'm switching over from Bell to Teksavvy cable internet, and was basically overwhelmed when I started looking. I didn't do exhaustive research but I'm sure I'll be happy compared to what I have now.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 04:09 PM
Veteran

I always check SmallNetBuilder when choosing a router. D-Link DIR-850L Review Check out the router rankings, charts and reviews. Another thing I consider is third party firmware support, such as DD-WRT.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 01:13 AM

AC is well worth it, feels like my laptop is wired now. I have the Netgear R7000. Very fast and stable. I do prefer the interface on my Asus N56U, I use it as a switch/wireless access point. Both are very stable. Way better than what Shaw and Telus have provided me in the past.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 10:36 AM
Veteran

The routers that ISPs provide are typically a generation or more behind. Some are relics of a bygone era in terms of router technology. They are chosen for their suitability for large scale deployment and support, not for things that most router buyers want, such as feature set or wi-fi performance. The only thing I want from an ISP is a good modem, not a router. They want to supply routers to protect their system from hacked PCs.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 11:34 AM

Quote:
They want to supply routers to protect their system from hacked PCs.
Curious. How do they know there is a hacked PC on their system and what do they do to stop it?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The routers that ISPs provide are typically a generation or more behind. Some are relics of a bygone era in terms of router technology. They are chosen for their suitability for large scale deployment and support, not for things that most router buyers want, such as feature set or wi-fi performance. The only thing I want from an ISP is a good modem, not a router. They want to supply routers to protect their system from hacked PCs.
I want a modem too, and I've tried on many times to get one with no success. Now I run a VDSL router that Telus hasn't ruined with bad firmware.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 11:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How do they know there is a hacked PC on their system and what do they do to stop it?
Hardware firewalls built into modems are a first line of defense against PC exploits. It doesn't stop things like email or browser phishing but does stop a number of attacks against vulnerable PCs. These days, routers are being hacked so nothing is bulletproof.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve604 View Post
I have the Netgear R7000. Very fast and stable.
Weird, but within a few hours of reading your post, my Netgear R7000 went into a perpetual restart loop. Defaulting it, factory reset etc, all failed to resolve the issue. One thing I found is just how hopeless the Netgear customer service really is. Only 90 days support without paying and they really don't want to talk about simple hardware replacement under their one year hardware warranty.

It took over an hour of online chat for them to acknowledge that the unit needed replacing. One thing they kept trying to get me to admit was that there had been a power outage or something. (I found out later that if a unit experiences a power outage, whether that was the problem or not, they will deny all coverage). Good thing my devices use a UPS.

My R7000 is now heading back for repair/replacement, so I hope this is the end of the drama.

In the future, Netgear will be off of my recommendation list, mainly due to their poor support and obvious attempts to deny coverage.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 06:51 PM

I only buy a router with capability to install third party firmware like DDWRT OpenWRT or Tomato

My Buffalo router came with DDWRT preinstalled.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-11-20, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
...capability to install third party firmware like DDWRT OpenWRT or Tomato.
The Netgear R7000 does support DDWRT.

Another question that was asked by the support representative, was if I had installed DDWRT or Tomato onto the router. I suspect that if I had answered in the affirmative, they would have denied warranty coverage on the spot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in