MoCA adapters to reach some rooms; Rogers Internet/Cable subscriber - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

yeah... I thought I read something about HPNA... so that's like MoCA but a different flavour right? do you know exactly what fequencies it uses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 04:38 PM

Quote:
While MoCA has been designed for local in-building distribution using the frequency range above 862 MHz, which limits its use in HFC plants, HPNA in its latest revision 3.1 uses the frequency range of 4 to 52 MHz ...
Source:http://www.mocalliance.org/industry/...HFC%5B1%5D.pdf
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 12:00 AM
Veteran

I haven't seen much about HPNA in recent years - I still have a Linksys HPNA router - it looks just like the WRT54G but it was HPNA 2.0 rather than Wifi. It could handle a whopping 10Mbps!

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-06-01, 10:37 AM

Wayne:

I'm curious to learn how your network is set up? 40MB/s is unusually lousy for MoCA. Are you sure
you've wired everything the right way?

With most MoCA adapters, the manufacturer includes a PC-based app which allows you to configure your MoCA adapter settings.

That includes an option for configuring the channel (frequency range) on which you want the device to be operating. This helps to prevent clashes between MoCA gear and other types of gear, which might have issues sharing the (Cable) medium with MoCA.

MoCA 1.0 and 1.1 Freq. range: 860 to 1600MHz (1.6GHz)

Moca 2.0 Freq. range: 860 to 1675 MHz (extended slightly over 1.1)
and added channels in the 500 MHz -600 MHz range, to be used by satellite operators

So with MoCA 1.0 and 1.1, cable TV, Over the Air, most digital equipment, there should be no interference issues.

If you have satellite, you're going to want to use MoCA 2.0, if possible.

BTW, it's also a really good idea if you ask me, to put a POE (point of entry) filter, usually at the demarc
in your network. It prevents signals from neighbouring cable or satellite gear from coming in to your home and prevents your signals from going out to someone else's equipment.

SOURCES: Moca manufacturer presentations and FAQs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in