Email - Gmail, Outlook.com, others? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Email - Gmail, Outlook.com, others?

I am going to move all my email off Shaw shortly and I am debating between Gmail and Outlook.com.

My main requirements are synced local email (outlook likely) and activesync for devices (BB10, Windows phone, Android, etc). Browser access to email will be as little as possible!

Open to feedback or options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 03:38 PM

What do you mean by "synced local email"?

Syncing between different accounts? Or pickup by different devices? Different email apps?

Are you interested in emails only or calendar as well?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 03:42 PM
Veteran

They're both really good. I use Gmail with my own domain, primarily because I've been doing it for so long and I don't see a reason to change. You can't go wrong with either choice.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 05:07 PM
Veteran

GMail works well and since you can use IMAP, you can have all your mail synced on multiple devices. Yahoo might also be OK, if they'd allow nested folders. A GMail account brings many other features, such as video chat via Hangouts, free phone calls through much of Canada & U.S. Also, some Android features require a GMail account.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

By synced email - I mean activesync style to a desktop client. Yes , definately email, contacts and calendar.

I have had 3rd party tools for Gmail contacts/calendar sync to outlook , worked ok. With the MS Outlook Connector add on for office 2003/2007/2010 - Outlook.com email went up a few notches. I currently use Outlook.com to sync my wifes contacts/calendar with her phone and outlook (simple pop3 shaw mail for her).

I am using Zimbra desktop for shaw currently to give full sync of mail/contacts/calendar - but some minor drawbacks (can't paste a picture into email, have to attach).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 06:08 PM

Since the email features between the two are comparable, you should probably
start from the other end: what computers/tablets/phones you use the most.
Which email will be a better fit...

I use GMail since the days it was invite-only. Can't complain. Works with Outlook.
Has good support on most ecosystems. Syncing used to be free, not anymore.
For newcomers I recommend gSyncIt - does all what you want.

I have an hotmail account (outlook today). Best part - 25GB free cloud storage.
But it lets much more spam through. Has a decent Android app.

Haven't used BB for ages...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-06, 12:53 AM
Veteran

I referenced this in a shaw thread. Get yourself a domain yourname.ca for $12 per year. Get a host for $20 a year. Set up [email protected]. Multiple email like george, ken [email protected] Go to whatever isp you want after that. I use IMAP and I use google calendar for scheduling. I use gmail to pick up all my mail and store it for me. After many years I have used about 20% of the space allowed. So I have a huge email archive.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-06, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Gmail is generally considered to be the best. It has very good spam filters and a good set of features. With a local mail agent, definitely use IMAP. It provides the best syncing and response times. The only drawbacks with Gmail are the tracking and privacy concerns. Not a huge deal but some people don't want all their email and personal information tracked in a huge company's database. There are a number of other options. Outlook is good. Yahoo is another but there are concerns about reliability and security with Yahoo in general. Other lesser known but good email services are mail.com, gmx.com and zoho.com. They provide pay email services for businesses and free basic accounts for individuals.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-06, 03:20 PM
Veteran

In my above post I stated get a host but that's just age setting in. I forgot that you can go to a registrar when you register yourname.ca and you can set up email forwarding. So for example for $12 a year you register abnercanabner.ca...then you can forward xyz or abc or [emaile][email protected][/email] to your telus or shaw email address and you can set it so people reply to that .ca

Hope I've confused a few now!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-07, 01:18 AM
Veteran

ive used them all. everyone talked highly about gmail, so I tried it, the most important thing I needed it to do it would not do right. I needed it to synch my address book, however gmail uses a weird database where they combine the address, city, province, country into one field, instead, everyone else does it the right way.

it may mean nothing to you, but if u ever need to synch up a contact list or address book with gmail, your smart phone or tablet will give u a hard time when u make modifications on a sync'd device.

so I tried yahoo, yahoo seemed to solve this problem, and it worked with my contacts and address book just fine, but the problem was, I use Microsoft outlook on my pc to read my computer and yahoo wont synch contact list to a imap client

Microsoft outlook, formerly Hotmail, this was the best choice for me, I can open my mail on a email client ie outlook/windows live mail, I can open it in a browser by going to outlook.com or on my smart phone regardless if its apple, android or black berrie, and it synchs up all my contacts and messages fine between all the clients.

I can make a change to my address book in any platform, and it will make the updates on all the synched devices. try that with gmail, its a big fail. yahoo will do it well but the only thing missing is synching it to my outlook/windows live mail, which I need. anyways this is my 2 cents, I mean 5 cents now that pennies are fased out.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-07, 02:29 AM
Veteran

I just exported my gmail contacts to csv outlook format and number, street, city, prov, postal code were all in separate columns, so don't see how they are kept in one database field.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-07, 07:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
but if u ever need to synch up a contact list or address book with gmail
I sync my GMail contacts all the time with my phone, tablet and email programs on my computer. Works fine.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 08:44 AM
Veteran

let me re-fraise this. the addresses synch just fine, but on the black berry, there are fields like name, address, postal code, country, province/state. it works fine for all other email providers but when i synched my gmail/google to my black berry, and i wanted to make a modification to the address, it would concatinate the entire address into one "address" field, the other fields like postal code, province, city, etc woudl be empty, so to make a small change it was a pain in the rear end. i also remember gmail doing this with another non blackberry smart phone so it was not limited to blackberries.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 03:05 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Well then, perhaps the problem is with that app. I sync with the "People" on my Android phone & tablet as well as Thunderbird & Seamonkey email apps on my computer. They all work fine.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2014-02-20, 09:42 PM

FYI ...Androids (kitkat 4.4.2) still have unresolved issues with Activesync. (at least the Nexus devices do...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in