Why You Should Start Using a VPN (and How to Choose the Best One for Your Needs) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-08, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Why You Should Start Using a VPN (and How to Choose the Best One for Your Needs)

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-yo...for-your-needs

Quote:
You may know what a VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is; you probably don't use one. You really should be using a VPN, and even if you don't think so now, at some point in the future you may consider it as important as your internet connection.

When we took at look at your five favorite VPN service providers, we noticed a few things. First, being the "best" is big business for VPN providers, and they'll fight dirty to be one of them. Second, there are so many VPN providers that it's difficult to choose a really good one. VPNs are not all created equally, and in this post, we're going to look at what a VPN is, why you want one, and how to pick the best one for you.
Does anyone here use a personal VPN while travelling or using hotspots? It seems like common sense but I don't know how "common" it really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-08, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Using a VPN on mobile devices is a good idea. That's because the link to the VPN is encrypted and things like passwords cannot be read by the hotspot host, ISP or nearby hackers. The RF link should be encrypted, of course, but I wouldn't count on that, or the integrity of the local Wi-Fi hotspot. If a VPN is used, the VPN must also be secure and trustworthy. That's why it's better to go with a well known service. Another issue is that some VPN services keep records of connections that could be stolen or disclosed under subpoena. Some don't keep records. Another issue I've found is that some apps on Android don't work well with VPN apps.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-08, 05:07 PM
Veteran

I have used a VPN, both to access my home network and also the office network. One advantage of using a VPN at a public hotspot is that it can be configured to set up your default route through the tunnel, so you don't have to worry about exposing anything. I have used openVPN on Linux and Windows and also the built in VPN on Windows.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-08, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Setting up your own VPN is certainly an option. One I would recommend if cost and security are concerns. However, the one I use costs less annually than running a small server 24/7. The downsides are the difficulty of setting it up and reliability compared to commercially available services.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 09:15 AM

An inexpensive VPN I use is the USB version of Surfeasy - one time payment, runs a separate browser leaving no trace on the host computer, and enables access to US and UK media otherwise subject to geo-blocking.
Works for me.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

My ASUS RT-N66U can be flashed with 3rd party firmware (which I already use on my WRT54GL) that will run a VPN service at the router if I choose. That would seem to address the issues of 24/7 availability and reliability. So the only reason NOT to use a VPN is for compatibility with clients?

Wouldn't most ISPs ToS exclude the right to run a VPN service?
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 12:15 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Define "VPN service". If you mean providing the service to others, then yes they do. On the other hand, an ISP should not prevent you from running a private VPN for your own use. Before I started running IPv6, I had to use a VPN to access computers behind my firewall/router. I recall reading some comments on the Rogers site several years ago. Their position was they have the prohibition on servers, so they would have a tool to use against those who abuse the service, by running public servers. They had no problem with individuals remotely accessing their own systems.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes I mean for private purposes.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Well, their only legitimate concern is for those offering public servers. They can't tell a customer what they're allowed to do with their connection beyond that. That would be like the phone company telling you who you can call or what you talk about. Also, with some protocols, it would be difficult to tell which end is the server. Someone running a VPN is likely using much less bandwidth than someone who does a lot of video downloading.

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 10:03 AM
Veteran

So, I've been investigating getting one of these services and the benefits provided while using public / hotel wifi would make the cost worth it IMO (i.e on our smart phones).

Now, if I were to get such a service I would like to implement it at home as well using a router based solution. That being said, does anyone have any experience using this type of solution for i) VoIP and ii) using a work PC which also have a VPN to connect to the office?

The service I've been investigating looks to have plenty of speed on my home connection. Just wondering if the lag / latency introduced by the VPN will cause issues for our VoIP. And, I still need the ability to VPN into work and this would essentially double VPN the connection (if that makes sense).

TIA.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I would be interested in any comments as well.

I have discovered that my old Linksys WRT54GL has a stripped down firmware by Shibby (Tomato based) that can run a VPN. So you may want to look at your existing hardware to see if it can be converted.

I seem to recall you talking about Tomato in the past.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 01:26 PM
Veteran

Thanks Jake... yes, I've been running the stock Tomato 1.28 on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for some time. It seems that Shibby will run on it so I will have to give that a try.

If a router wide implementation doesn't work for me (due to VoIP or work VPN issues) I'll just install the client on my specific devices so it isn't a deal breaker for me in either case.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-16, 07:54 PM
Veteran

Well, I guess I can answer my own questions now. I signed up for the VPN service last night and got it working on my phone straight away (using OpenVPN).

This evening I upgraded my very antiquated Buffalo router to the VPN Tomato by Shibby.

VPN over VPN works fine. VoIP works fine.

The only issue so far is when I try to login to my VoIP provider I am shown the following screen... "-- Interface access is not authorized from this IP Address - Contact us if you think this is an error".

I did have to reset the NVRAM on my router so getting everything back took a little while.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-17, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the update. I will have to get off my butt and unwrap my shiny new router soon.

Quote:
Interface access is not authorized from this IP Address
I am willing to bet the VOIP provider blocks IPs if they are not originating from the same IP as the ATA. Is there a setting about this in the VOIP portal?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-17, 10:43 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Given many ATAs are used behind NAT, different addresses are often the case. It's why it's necessary to use STUN servers, to tell the VoIP server where the ATA or other device really is. While STUN can be made to work for home or small office networks, there's no way it can work on a larger scale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in