Why You Should Start Using a VPN (and How to Choose the Best One for Your Needs) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 07:27 PM
Veteran

VPN is designed to provide protection for traffic between two computers. It's not designed to provide protection at, or beyond, the other end. If the content goes out onto a public network, then it's still open to snooping. However, Canadian snoops will need to trace the traffic back to the original source. That is more difficult if the VPN does not keep logs or their server is based in a country that does not require logging. Many countries have cooperation treaties for things like uncovering illegal activities on the internet. It has become a world wide web in more ways than just communication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
...Canadian snoops will need to trace the traffic back to the original source.
Doesn't this mean they will need to find ways dealing with the open proxies (ones Tor is using)?

That will be tough...
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four View Post
Isn't "VPN provider" a sort of contradiction in terms?

VPN is used to eliminate snooping, i.e remove any middleman.
While the provider _is_ the middleman...

Considering how long it took the NSA to identify the Silk Road guy, does this (proposed)
law mean Canada ISPs will record and keep for 6 months every encrypted communication?
VPN provider is not a contradiction in terms. A VPN is a tunnel. It originates at your router or computer and terminates somewhere else.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Notsure, I will start my slow and tedious LAN switch-over eventually. But I am more interested in having the VPN available while I am "off-site". And for that I don't need fast speeds. I am still piecing together the knowledge into my limited brain. I may change my mind as my understanding evolves.

I have never been a conspiracy guy but with the seemingly easy pickings governments/criminals are availing themselves of I think it is time to re-assess my security. Especially, now that so much important information passes via the internet.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherN View Post
A VPN is a tunnel. It originates at your router or computer and terminates somewhere else.
OK.
And how exactly does this (obvious) definition negate what you quote?

I'm not saying there no VPN providers. There obviously, are.
I'm saying VPN is all about hiding communication (for whatever reason).
Why would you hire somebody to help you hide?

Last edited by four; 2013-10-21 at 10:19 PM.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 11:44 PM
Veteran

Most commercial VPN services simply mask your location and prevents location tracking by IP. Many also provide a secure tunnel to that location. It's still possible for companies like Google to obtain your location by other means. It also does not provide privacy, as some of them claim. It's still possible for companies to track your activities or obtain personal information. It still allows hackers to compromise your computer. Those methods must be dealt with separately.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-22, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
track your activities or obtain personal information. It still allows hackers to compromise your computer
Ex could you enlighten us. Sort of the Coles Notes version. We are all familiar how this can happen with malware but let's restrict this discussion to VPN activities and assume your machine is clean.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-22, 10:45 AM

Something like this
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...ify-tor-users/

But the sheer PITA it is to do most likely means it won't be done by Canadian ISPs...
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-22, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Let's say you make a purchase on Amazon. That means Amazon has your exact location and address. They can track your activities using cookies and other identifiers. Google uses Chrome to capture that same information. Now they have all they need to track you, VPN or not.

Google uses Gmail (and the contents of your emails), Chrome and Google+ to obtain your location and personal information. It's even more pervasive than that since Google has partnerships with a huge number of commercially operated web sites. Three of their services are on Digital Home. They are Google Ad Services, Google Analytics and Google.com. They scan and track your posts.

If any personal or location information has ever been entered into Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook or any other social networking site, they have all they need to track you. They use some of the same information that is used by Google. VPN services don't hide that.

Visit any site that provides location hints, such as a bank or store, and it provides the browser vendor (Google, Apple, Microsoft) with the ability to capture location hints and personal data. A VPN does not prevent this. Google, for one, appears to ignore IP information if other location data is available.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-22, 09:49 PM

A good alternative to "VPN provider" in the works...
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ser-extension/
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You could also use uProxy to route traffic through your home Internet connection when you're out of the house and on a public Wi-Fi network.
Thanks for the information guys. Lots of good stuff there.

I guess it comes down to security and/or anonymity. Currently I am less concerned with the scenario ExDilbert described and more concerned with people who want to empty my bank account, max out my credit cards or steal my identity. But I may turn my attention to anonymity down the road.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 10:50 AM

"Routing traffic through your home internet connection" is doable using OpenVPN on DD-WRT but requires some effort and appropriate hardware.
If just running Chrome with certain extensions on both ends can take care of the setup chores - that would be great...
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Unless you use public Wi-Fi hotspots, VPNs will will do little to prevent identity theft. Most of that is done using malware or phishing on users' PCs and by hacking servers that store customers' data. Firewalls, AV software and common sense are the best defense. VPNs should have a firewall on their servers so that can serve as a first line of defense for lightweight devices that don't have one. Home networks usually have a firewall in the internet router.
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Unless you use public Wi-Fi hotspots
I think just about everyone does. Any wifi other than my own I consider insecure. So the hotels, the airports, my friends etc.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 02:35 PM
Veteran

I've never used a public Wi-Fi hotspot. I would guess that their use is skewed toward people who are on the road a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in