configure wireless router as AP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

configure wireless router as AP

I have a Rogers Docis 3 modem which has weak wireless signal. I also have a Belkin wireless router which I tried to configure as an AP so I can increase coverage for my house.
I configured the Belkin as AP (using the Belkin software), no DHCP, IP is same range as Rogers. I can connect to it wirelessly, but there is no connection to internet. Can I make the Belkin access internet though the Rogers wireless modem?

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 12:18 PM

Is the Belkin connected to the Rogers modem via wired Ethernet?

Bill
My blog
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Are you using the correct connection to the Belkin? You should be using one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

No, the Belkin is not connected to Rogers modem. If I connect it using the Lan port, it works, but can I do it without the hard wire connection?

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 01:26 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Unless that Belkin supports repeater mode, no. In repeater mode, it would forward packets between the devices and the modem. If it doesn't you have to use a wired connection. However, instead of doing what you think you're doing, you might put the modem in bridge mode and connect the Belkin as a router

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Alas, no the Belkin does not have repeater mode. I am now connecting Belkin to Rogers modem via Powerline adapters, and configuring the Belkin as AP. It works. Thanks for the clarification.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I am back for help.
Now, I have Rogers modem working as modem with wireless. I configured it to do port forwarding on port 80 to my web server. I used to do that with the Belkin wireless router, and it had worked, but now with Rogers modem, it does not work. There is one item in Rogers port forwarding that I do not understand. It has public port and private port. I set them both to port 80. Any ideas? Thanks.

BTW, there is no option for static ip with Rogers modem and wireless, or did I missed it some place?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Rogers does not normally give static IP addresses to consumers. My recommendation is to use the Rogers modem in bridging mode and do everything else with your router.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

If Rogers is in bridging mode, would I still be able to use Powerline adapters to connect Belkin (as wireless router) to Rogers modem?
The reason I am doing all these is because my cable is really bad in the basement where I put Rogers modem. Sometimes it just does not work. So, I moved the Rogers modem out to the garage connecting directly to where the cable comes into the garage. But I cannot put the Belkin in the garage as the wireless signal will not reach the 2nd floor of the house. I have to put the Belkin inside the house, in the basement, or on the 2nd floor using the powerline adapters.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-28, 08:07 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I haven't used those Powerline adapters, but they should work. All they do is act as a bridge.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-28, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks James. I found out from googling that Rogers modem's port forwarding does not function (altho it is there in the menu). So, the only option now is to make turn bridging mode on. It works. I was able to connect Belkin to Rogers via the powerline adapters.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 10:32 AM
Veteran

That's not completely true.

Port forwarding, DOES work in some of the rogers gateways... just not ALL.
The Hitron ones, it does not seem to work on.
The SMC, and Cisco ones, it does (have done so myself and continue to do so).

But otherwise, bridged mode is your best option.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Mine is Cisco brand, but the software is Hitron. It does not work, and I am using it bridge mode now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in