Recommend a good 8 port router with wifi - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-16, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Recommend a good 8 port router with wifi

I am looking to replace my two Linksys products with a single device. Currently I have a WRT54GL running Tomato (which I love and is rock solid). Attached to that is another Linksys 4 port 100 Mbps router running in switch mode. The house is wired for 1000 Mpbs. I have a mixture of hardware. From G to N and from 100 Mbps to 1000 Mbps devices. I do a lot of LAN streaming and for my own sanity have found ethernet to be trouble-free. I don't game or VPN and torrents are not a priority.

What I hope to get.

Bump in wireless speed from G to N.
Bump in wired speed from 100 to 1000 Mbps.
One device, 8 ports.
Browse Master in router (this might be possible with some variant of WRT or Tomato)
Under $120

Can anyone recommend a solid and well liked product that fits the bill?

I should mention Trendnet is on my blacklist. Unless they have improved in the last 5-7 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-16, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I was about to post that I might just bite the bullet and get a gig switch and a standard 4 port router. I will take a look at the WD product. This is the first I have heard of it.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/routers/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 07:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Bump in wireless speed from G to N.
802.11ac gear has been available for a while now.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I am usually behind the tech curve so I will stick to N for now. But I did read a few reviews of the 802.11ac devices.

Right now I am looking at the Cisco E4200V2 which unless I am dreaming says it has 7 gigE ports.

http://nerdorgeek.com/wp-content/upl...nt-summary.png
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 01:19 PM
Veteran

There aren't many 8 port routers out there, and the ones that do exist don't seem to do very well (or show up?) in the ratings.

When I'm looking for consumer network gear, this is my authoritative source for reviews:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I'm currently running a Asus RT-N66U for my router, and I'm very impressed with it. My house is also wired for Ethernet, but I have a separate 24-port switch in the basement to tie together all the Ethernet drops throughout the house.

If possible, avoid placing your router in the basement. It's best if it is close to the middle of your house. So, if you live in a two-story house, try and have it on the main floor.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 01:35 PM

The pics of Cisco E4200V2 show 4 Ethernet ports. The "7 port Gigabit" switch probably refers to internal capabilities of the chip.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 02:34 PM

Dr.Dave is right. The Marvell 88E6171R is a 7 port switch with 5 integrated PHYs. An implementer would have to add 2 additional PHYs to make use of the extra two ports which Cisco did not do.

That said, I am happy with my E4200 (original, so using the Broadcom chip in your chart) for routing and WiFi. I have it paired with a D-Link DGS-1100-16 16 port web managed gigabit switch for my hardwired runs like audacity does. That combo ran me ~$270.

If you only want 8 GbE ports, you could pair the E4200v2 with a SE2800 switch for ~$140 at the current pricing. I don't think you will be able to find anything with WiFi, routing and 8 ports in one device for anywhere near your price point (if at all...). And if audio geeks can rant and rave about seperates, why can't us network geeks.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

How about 7 ports?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/image...thd_family.jpg

But I do agree with you guys. Separates is my mantra in the AV world.

I will have to reconsider. Smallnetbuilder is a good site. I had been using it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...outer-reviewed
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-23, 09:42 AM

A wireless N router with a single Gig port and a gig switch with as many ports as you need is a second option.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-23, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I am leaning towards getting the ASUS RT-AC66U for now. If the N devices are still too slow I will look at adding a gig router. Yes James advice makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. But another reason is stability. I will pay a premium to get a router that stays up for months at a time. My old trusty $50 WRT54GL (Tomato) + UPS had been running at least a year without missing a beat until the storm last week knocked out power for 4 hours and the router eventually went down.

Now I will bide my time until a sale pops up.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-23, 12:01 PM

Nice find on the WD router with 7 ports. I'm impressed by such a large move into the market for them.

As much as SmallNetBuilder is my go to for consumer networking as well, AnandTech had an interesting article/editorial the other day outlining why 802.11ac is much better than 802.11n as far as actual implementation in the market. It was some nice food for thought, although I usually let other people test the bleeding edge on wireless.

Have fun with the Asus RT-AC66U. It looks like you are planning on just using the N fallback; but have you considered looking for other AC gear to get the most bang for your buck out of it?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-23, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the article.

I have not looked at other AC gear but I will in my spare time. I noticed a lot of ratings of the My Net product include terms like locked up, froze, reset etc. So I may stay away until they prove they are reliable in the long term.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-23, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I decided to list my network devices so I can refer to this thread when I get around to buying a new router. The blue devices are online regularly with the others being only on a few hours per week.
  1. Media Player: single band WiFi-N or GigE
  2. Media Player: single band WiFi-N or GigE
  3. Media Player: dual band WiFi-N or 100E
  4. Media Player: 100E
  5. Netbook: WiFi-G
  6. Tablet: single band WiFi-N
  7. Portable Media Player: Wifi-G
  8. Laptop 1: WiFi-G or GigE
  9. NAS: GigE
  10. ATA: 100E
  11. Modem: GigE
  12. Laptop 2: Wifi-G
  13. Desktop: GigE
  14. 4 port switch: 100E
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-04, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Well I went with the ASUS RT-N66U. The fact that it is legendary for its stability and performance convinced me. Plus I can put 3rd party firmware on it if the stock does not have the tweaks I want to do.

If I need a few extra gig ports down the road I will get a switch. For now I will task my WRT54GL as a switch or repeater. Thanks for the tips guys and gals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in