Powerline Adapter Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Powerline Adapter Discussions

Anyone have any suggestions for powerline networking? I have had positive experience in the past with the Slinklink's but they are no longer supported and are on the older standard. Preferably would get something at Futureshop or The Source just for ease but open to ideas/reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 09:47 PM
Veteran

I've used the predecessor to the Linksys PLSK400-CA for a few years with no issues. I don't exactly stress it but 1080p material streams fine through it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 04:54 PM

I also use a Linksys PLE/PLW400 without problems.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 11:06 AM

I am using a combination of WD Livewire and D-Link and it's been running for quite a while without issue.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 04:12 PM
Veteran

I have TrendNET devices in my house. One of the adapters has 4 ports on it to plug the PS3, Bluray player and Pivos box. Works really well. They're rated for 500Mbps, but I'm getting closer to 200Mbps. Still quite better than Wifi.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 12:36 PM

Powerline networking

The OP said power line networking, which suggest additional cat 5 run is not possible and wireless did not have adequate coverage. Power line networking will offer the third alternative. If you already have a wire/wireless router already set up, an ac power line bridge pair from Air link or Belkin will do the job. You may op for a new set up, then the D-link Wireless N PowerLine Router DHP 1320 will be a good choice. Besides the normal wireless function and 4 LAN ports , it also functions as one of the pair of a home plug compatible ac power bridge. The remote unit can be any home plug compatible sender/receiver unit or D-link's own DHP 346AV, OR DHP W306 WIRELESS UNIT EXTENDER. pricing for each unit shouldn't exceed $46.00 each. Hope this help!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseto View Post
The OP said power line networking
And the TrendNet devices I have are powerline ethernet adapters.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 07:56 PM

If you can find it, I suggest getting MOCA adapters. The much more reliable than powerline and uses your COAX networking inside your home and works alongside your cable TV services. No issues with my digital boxes or cable modem, however it doesn't like the Whole Home networking used by Rogers (suppose to work alongside, but not for me). I won mine at CES 18 months ago and love it. I tried Powerline and it was just not the same.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-07-26, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Hmm...where can you find MOCA adapters? What brand is yours? Also with the Powerline setup, if you want to make another connection, do you need another pair or can you just add a 3rd adapter and have it communicate with the other two?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-07-26, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Wow! MoCA is very hard to find north of the border, and expensive! I managed to find a couple of adapters at tiger, thx for the heads up on these. BTW... according to the Actiontec website MoCA adapters are good for 300ft. Not too shabby!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 09:33 AM

This is an old post, but the topic is still fresh.
I used TP-Link AV500 for quite a few years (since 2010 I think). Had 3 of them, but one failed recently (and it took me a long time to find out, thought I had problem with my desktop).

So, with black friday sale, I purchased 2 Dlink AV2000. Plug them in, do not have to do anything, and they just work. Speed test from my desktop is better than 60/10 (my Rogers service), and it is just like hook up to the modem directly. With my old AV500, I had 35/10. So, this purchase is really worthwile. Having said that, TP-Link has AV2000 which has 2 ethernet ports but they are not on sale.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 11:53 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I found this old thread and would like to restart the discussions:

I have recently updated to Rogers Ignite 75U with the Black Hitron Modem utilized in bridge mode to my Apple Airport Extreme located on the second floor where my computer is hardwired. For whatever reason, the WiFi to the far (basement home theatre) location in my home where the smart TV is, has been causing me some issues with higher bandwidth YouTube videos even when I still had Rogers 30/5 service and the CGN2 modem bridged. I used to easily stream up to about 10mbps but lately this drops down to less causing buffering or poor quality video on occasion. I'm assuming this is caused by more WiFi devices around (neighbours, etc). I'm therefore considering some Powerline adapters for this purpose. I have a few questions.

1. Which brand or model would you recommend? I would prefer good quality and am not fixated on low price. It appears that the latest models are "2000" units with up to 2 Gbps speeds, which are certainly not needed at this point, but why not purchase anyway?
2. The TV has a Lan port, so I assume I can connect the TV directly to the adapter instead of using the TV's WiFi.
3. I have an iPad and iPhone which I don't usually use in this (far, basement) location, however, I may want to. It appears that some adapters also have built in WiFi. I assume this works similar to a "repeater/extender"? Would the iPhone and/or iPad "connect" to this "new" WiFi location without issue? Do these idevices "switch" to the adapter instead of the Airport Extreme seamlessly? The iPad and iPhone work fine on the main floor where they are usually used and report speedtests of about 30 mbps which is "fine" for our usage.
4. It appears that most of these adapters are Plug/Play?
5. A question was asked earlier in this thread regarding purchasing a set of two and then wanting to possibly add another location later - is this easily done or does one need to purchase "another set of two"? Any problems "integrating" another one or two?
6. I don't believe I wish to get into Mesh.

PS. With 75U I'm getting 90+ mbps down and 10 mbps up on the wired Mac Mini computer.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 02:51 PM

Hi 57, I am still using the dlink AV2000 (since late 2016). I have upgraded to ignite 150D/15U (With my contract renewal, they said they do not offer 75/10 anymore. My modem is in the basement is in gateway mode. My iPhone/iPad on 5G clocked in at 190D/16U. But on the second floor far end of the floor is where my desktop is, and it does not have a wifi card. So, I use the dlink AV 2000 power line adapter. It clocked in at 140/15, which is pretty good. I also have a Trendnet TPL 406E which I think is rated at 500 mbps it connects to my desktop NAS server, and it all work well, despite different manufacturers.
I do not know if it works well with a tv. I guess you can buy them from Bestbuy so you can return them if they do not work.
They are plug and play. Plug it in, and they should work, if not there is a button on each unit for syncing.
I have no experience with the plugs with built in wifi.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 02:53 PM
Veteran

1. There appears to be a few major players. Trendnet, Netgear, Zyxel, TP-Link and D-Link have decent products that sell for as low as CD$100 for a starter kit (2 adapters.) Here is a (somewhat dated) link to some top rated products https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...powerline/view

Powerline adapters are like wifi routers. They have big impressive numbers that they don't deliver in actual use. AV2 MIMO looks like the best standard. Recent products come in 1200, 1300 and 2000 models. All will deliver similar performance with variations seemingly more dependent on make and model than generation. Expect about 400-500Mbps total throughput (up plus down) with one way throughput (up or down) at about half that. Factors such as noise, distance and circuit panel breakers can reduce that.

2. That should work. I would be tempted to set up a second router as an access point in the basement.

3. I wouldn't use a powerline adapter with built in wifi. There will be tradeoffs. Roaming within a wifi network can have issues. The most common scenario is that the router and device do not drop the existing weak connection and fail to connect to the stronger signal. Mesh can solve that but the mesh system and the device must both support the mesh roaming protocol. In any event, it will usually be no worse than not having a second access point. With a smartphone, turning the wifi off and on will usually make it connect to the strongest signal.

4. Kits with 2 adapters are usually already paired and are plug and play.

5. Extra adapters must be manually paired with the original kit.

6. I wouldn't purchase a mesh system right now. The best systems are tri-band and far too expensive. I also question whether wall pucks dependent on outlet location for placement is anything close to ideal. I've had good results with Asus AiMesh routers. They can be linked with a LAN cable or wifi. For example, one router could be wired on the second floor and another wired in the basement. That provides much better potential performance than a wireless repeater.

The obvious question here is, why not enable wifi on the Rogers router and configure the Airport Extreme as an access point? It's a no cost option and will provide adequate whole home coverage. Expecting one router to cover 3 floors is stretching the capabilities of wifi, especially on the 5GHz band. Apart from the roaming issue mentioned above, it should have no drawbacks. They can be configured with the same SSID or different SSIDs and channels to allow network optimization. Devices that roam can have both credentials entered.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 03:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Thank you both for your detailed replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The obvious question here is, why not enable wifi on the Rogers router and configure the Airport Extreme as an access point?
Please excuse my ignorance about such things. I have no idea how to do this. I purchased the Airport Extreme years ago when I still had one of those Motorola Surfboard Modems (5100?). They were modems and didn't contain routers. I always just put any new modems (that contained routers) into bridge mode and used the Airport for WiFi which was adequate until recently.

Can you explain exactly what I would need to do, remembering that my home was renovated in 1990 and has no existing ethernet wiring, etc and it would probably be difficult to add any, hence my original question regarding Powerline adapters.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in