Some questions for any Flickr users - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Some questions for any Flickr users

This week Yahoo announced that Flickr now has 1 TB of storage!

My photo library is about 250GB so it made me think that Flickr would make a great online backup for my photos. I went to the Flickr site but couldn't get much info so thought I would see if there are some Flickr users here.

I was wondering

Is the free 1 TB deal real or is there a catch?
Are my photos uploaded in full or are they compressed?
Can I easily download them if my local files are corrupt?
Can I keep my photos private?
How does Flickr make money? Is their ads if you view pictures?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 10:56 AM

It's free. No catch.

They're compressed but not on a level anyone will notice. If you upload a file that's 4000x3000px it'll remain that.

I'm not aware of any easy way to download your whole collection again, but a third party script may be available.

Yes, you can keep your photos private. It's quite easy.

Yes and no. There used to be ads but they're either gone or not online yet for the refreshed design. Flickr used to make money from "pro accounts" which were 25$ a yr accounts that gave more options. When Yahoo bought flickr through, they basically stopped adding options that people wanted. The features request threads on their forums were endless and mostly unfulfilled.

It was quite sad. Now, they nixed the pro accounts and have a 1tb for everyone and 2tb if you pay for it, a lot.

So their income model, I don't know, but it's yahoo. Like this refresh will capitalize on a current resurgence of interest in Flickr but I feel they're refreshing and just going to leave it forever again.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks colinpeddle!

I just want it for cloud backup so, if they compress files at all or, don't allow me to download easily, then it really is of no interest to me. I'll have to do some more investigation. I want to make a sound choice because uploading 250GB of photos will take a LONG time and will have to be done over several months to avoid exceeding my monthly bandwidth cap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in