Foscam ip camera remote access issues - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 08:53 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
The D-link software is establishing a tunnel for you.

Sell any Foscam's you have, buy more D-links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Actually, the Dlink is going back tomorrow for a refund. The night vision on the Foscams is far superior. Is the "tunnel" not something "I" can do?

Glen
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

This post explains exactly what is going on with my Internet service / router setup issues. The 4th post explains perfectly the situation.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61870

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 10:25 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
If you're still married to the Bell Turbo Hub and cellular data service, and they still won't give you a public IP address, your options haven't really changed over the last 12-18 months.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Ya, my backs against a wall. Rural residents of Canada (Ontario) have little to no choice. It's a Turbo hub, dial up, or satellite. It's $70 a month for a 10gb cap, locked down so tight you can't do anything, all pretty pathetic, but there's no alternative.

Glen
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 07:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
This post explains exactly what is going on with my Internet service
That article mentions double NAT, which is commonly used on wireless networks. The reason for this is simple, there are not enough IPv4 addresses to go around. Even without smart phones, there aren't enough to meet the needs around the world. I mentioned IPv6 earlier. This is the only solution to this. As it is, we've been using hacks, such as NAT, to get around the shortage of IPv4 addresses. I have an IPv6 subnet, which has 2^72 addresses, about a trillion times the entire IPv4 address space. Every IPv6 capable device has an IPv6 address and can be reached from outside my network without worrying about nonsense such as NAT. Bottom line, IPv6 is the only way to move forward and avoid this sort of problem.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

James, we spoke about this before, and I was never able to get it to work. More than likely something I'm doing wrong, but I will look into it again, and see what I can do.

Glen
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

James, I have ipv6 setup (gogonet), and I can ping my home computer from my Android phone, not connected to my home network. So I can see my home computer from the outside.

Now, how do I access it, and all the cameras. I tried Remote Desktop from my phone, no luck.

Glen
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 11:36 AM
Veteran

You're running gogonet on your home computer, which provides IPv6 addresses to it. Are you running in the subnet mode, so that it provides IPv6 addresses to other devices? You have to register to use subnet or static address modes.

Also, I'm not aware of the gogoc client for Android. Are you saying you have IPv6 on your phone while away from home?

I also use gogonet on my home network. I have it running in subnet mode on my Linux based firewall/router so that every IPv6 capable device can use it. If you're running Windows, that gogo client also supports IPv4 tunnelling over IPv6, so that the tunnel acts as a VPN. If the devices don't support IPv6, you'd use that method.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, running gogonet on my windows 8 laptop. I'm connecting with credentials. Under "home access" I have mapped one of the foscam cameras and this laptop. They have been given "names/addresses" successfully.

On my Android phone, which is using it's own data plan I can ping the address of my home laptop and the foscam camera , using the name/address given by gogo6.

When I try to access the camera with a remote viewer program on my phone, it does not work.

Glen
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to do what's listed as the 2nd example on this page, "Home Access Connection - v4v4", it does not work!!

http://www.gogo6.com/freenet6/home-access

Glen
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 04:24 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I have never used that Home access connection, so I don't know what the issues are. Perhaps you could ask on the gogo6 site. The discussion forums are on the left side, towards the bottom of the page.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The reason for this is simple, there are not enough IPv4 addresses to go around.
I recently watched a video by Vint Cerf that says there are about 5.5 billion mobile devices, but only 4.3 billion possible IPv4 addresses. So, it's physically impossible for all devices connected to the cell network to have a public IPv4 address, even ignoring the fact that most of the addresses have already been taken by wired connections.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Guess I'll go away again for another year and a half and by then hopefully something somewhere will have changed, because there's presently no way this is ever going to work.

Google remote desktop works fine, as does Teamviewer, but that's not what I want. I should be able to access any device on my home network directly, if I feel like it. Lousy isp's.

Thanks guys....

Glen
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Glen were you ever able to view your Foscam from your phone when you home network is hooked up to the Bell turbo hub?
Any help would be appreciated as I have the same issue.

Thanks
Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in