Remote access question - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-26, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Got the compile to work. Think I'm going to go another route. I want to be able to serve webcam video as well as have full access, and the raspberry pi is not quite up to that task. Will look for a more powerful solution, Newegg have some systems that caught my eye.

The gogodroid program works just fine. I just connect as anonymous. I think I'm just going to use Windows Remote Desktop. I have had no trouble getting it to run, and can access my webcams without issue from my Android phone or tablet. I had to mess with a few different programs to get RDP to work, but 2x available from the Play Store connected first time, and every time after. Set up a new connection, input your gogo6 ip, your Windows username and password and away you go. I have a lousy internet connection here, and it still worked ok. I could see my webcams just fine on my phone.

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-27, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

James, how do you know if the gopgo6 client is connected in Linux. The majority of the time when I try to connect it times out / failed to receive tsp capabilities. Other times it just drops back to the command prompt in Terminal. I have tried a ifconfig and only see my eth0 / lo.

I have tried anonymous, authenticated, and Montreal servers with no success.

Glen
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-27, 03:37 PM
Veteran

When I connect, ifconfig shows:

tun Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet6 addr: 2001:5c0:1000:a::b6f/128 Scope:Global
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1280 Metric:1
RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:416 (416.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Of course, the IPv6 address will likely change each time I log in as anonymous.

Does it always fail? Are there any other error messages?
Also, if you connect as a router, you will have sit1, instead of tun0

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-28, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Here's a typical session.....

[email protected] ~/gogo6/bin $ sudo ./gogoc
gogoCLIENT v1.2-RELEASE build Apr 26 2013-00:21:34
Built on ///Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux///
The server is too busy to process your TSP request.
Failed to retrieve TSP capabilities.
Disconnected. Retrying in 30 seconds.
[email protected] ~/gogo6/bin $

I pretty much left the defaults in gogoc.conf. I added my username, password and changed the server to montreal, and tried anonymous. I did change host type to router.

Glen
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-28, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Does the Windows 7 computer continue to work? Have you tried other servers such as Amsterdam or Sydney? Perhaps you should post your problem on the gogo6 forum. When I tested with anonymous logon yesterday, I had no problem at all.

post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-28, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Remote access or teamviewer alternative free?

Sorry might be a little off topic but I need a remote access tool like team viewer or log me in that's free. For some reason team viewer keeps crapping out and then always says this is for personal use only and doesn't allow us in.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-28, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok, got in. Had to backtrack in gogoc.conf.

Server, anon-montreal.freenet6.net.

Remove "userid" and "password".

Change from "router" to "host".

Change authentication method from "any" to "anonymous".

Now I'm going to try with my authenticated sign on.

In ifconfig I see "tun".

Glen
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

James, I'm confused about something....

My Win 7 laptop that has the gogo6 client running on it connects fine. My raspberry pi connects fine as anonymous, but will not connect as authenticated, and when set up as router.

Can I only run authenticated and as router on one computer only?

I access the pi through "Remote Desktop" on the Win 7 laptop. I am not connected to gogo6 on the laptop when I connect to the pi.

I need to be able to connect to the pi with remote desktop with my laptop and connect to gogo6 with the pi and set it up as a router? It's acting like it only wants to let the Win 7 laptop connect as authenticated, and the pi as anonymous.

I keep getting a message in the terminal when I run .gogoc:

No IPV6 Support found
Try "modprobe ipv6"
So I "sudo modprobe ipv6" and it seems to be ok.

When I have to do this as anonymous it connects fine, sometimes takes a while. When I try this as authenticated it just returns the terminal prompt and no sit1.

Glen
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 11:40 AM
Veteran

^^^^
As I mentioned before, your static address and subnet are tied to your account. If you try to login with that ID more than once, you're trying to assign the same addresses to more than one computer and that won't work. Try shutting down the W7 connection first and then try connecting with the pi. Don't forget, when you try remote access to your home network, you don't care what the IPv6 address is on the remote computer, so long as you have one. The static address & subnet must be on the computer at home. In a couple of earlier notes, I asked if you could see an IPv6 address on other computers, when you have the W7 computer configured for a subnet. Do you?

post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

James, this is where I'm confused. All my computers and devices have static ip's. When I'm "Remote Connecting" to the pi at home, it's just to gain access, the pi is headless. When I do that I'm not connected to gogo6 on the Win7 laptop, I'm only using it to access the pi.

So, gogo should know nothing about the Win7 laptop at that point. I'm just asking this, not being smart, what does it matter which computer I sign on to gogo from at my end, as long as I only have one connected at a time as the authenticated user.

Or, are you saying that the static ip on my laptop is stuck forever and I can't connect authenticated on any other computer from my home? Sorry if it's simple, I'm just not understanding yet.

What I want to do is connect the pi to gogo and use that as the router, not my Win7 laptop. I want the pi to be the host and everyone else the clients. When I try this it doesn't work. And when I try this and it doesn't work, no other computer at my end is connected to gogo. Hope that makes sense.

Glen
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 04:50 PM
Veteran

At the moment, I assume you have the W7 computer configured for a subnet, with routing enabled. Is that correct? If so, if you go to another computer, where the gogo client is not running, do you see an IPv6 address other than the link-local address (which starts with FE80)? I have the gogo Linux client running on my firewall computer. I also set up forwarding rules and enabled router advertisements. This enables any IPv6 capable device on my network to obtain IPv6 addresses from my subnet. I can then reach any of those devices from elsewhere via IPv6. If that W7 computer is not configured to be a router and advertise the subnet, then the other computers will not get an IPv6 address.

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-05-05, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgesm View Post
Sorry might be a little off topic but I need a remote access tool like team viewer or log me in that's free.
I use Splashtop Remote to control my home computers from work either using my laptop or my iPad. It's free and has worked really well for me so far.
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 12:28 AM
Rookie

In A Bowl - No Service !!!

I've been trying to get HS Internet service at our cottage on Ril Lake in the Muskokas, Ontario, for years now. "Explornet, Vianet, Rogers & Bell sticks have all failed to provide service. Apparently we do not have a 'Clear Line of Sight" to allow us to get internet. We have a bell telephone line which runs out of Baysville, but apparently Baysville is not equipped to offer HS, just dial-up.

Any suggestions on who & how to get HS into this "Bowl of Non Connectivity ?
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 2015-04-11, 03:36 AM
tux

Realistically, you probably can't get better than dial-up, and even your dial-up may be slower than 56K depending on line conditions. But let's be optimistic, and look at other possibilities.

Cable or DSL service is only available in cities. No chance whatsoever of getting it out there.

Cellular internet would be a good option, but apparently you're in a dead spot. Not having a "clear line of sight" to the tower doesn't help either.

Satellite internet may be an option, especially if you're able to receive satellite TV service. However, line of sight issues may still exist. For satellite service, you'd likely need a southward "clear line of sight", unobstructed by trees or other barriers. A dish mounted on an antenna pole may work. Galaxy Broadband offers satellite internet service, but it's slow, expensive, has data limits, and requires a contract.

Bottom line, you may be able to get enough internet for light surfing or email, but don't expect to stream Netflix or Skype.
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 2015-04-11, 04:28 AM
Veteran

When travelling I have had to hoist a t-mobile stick high in the air with a 15 foot usb cable to get service. Is there any cell service in the area? Would what I've done be a possibility?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in