Remote access question - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

If I want to connect a webcam to one of my computers as a test, how do I go about setting it up. Say I'm using my android phone remotely, how do I connect to my "home" computer and access the camera. I'm really getting lost here.

Teamviewer was so easy, the connection was made instantly and then I had full access to my computer, any computer on my network I had set-up with Teamviewer. This setup is like pulling teeth.

I just set Teamviewer up on both laptops and my phone again and had full access from my phone to both in less than five minutes. I need to dump the raspberry idea and build a mini itx system......getting frustrated...not good.

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm getting this now.

"Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

From what I've read, it's knocking on the door, but my Windows 7 laptop with the gogo6 client running is not letting it in. I've tried with the firewall turned totally off, didn't make a difference....still reading.

Glen

Edit: I just connected my remote laptop to my local network (same as the vnc server) and it connected no problems. That tells me there's nothing wrong with the way vnc is set up. The window popped up immediately and asked for my password which it took no problem. It's something in my win 7 laptop that's blocking incoming remote connections.

Last edited by Muskoka; 2013-04-24 at 07:05 PM.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 09:43 PM
Veteran

I don't have much experience with VNC, so you'll need some help from someone else with it. Also, have you tried with the IPv6 client running on both the Windows 7 & XP computers, so that they can connect via IPv6?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Found a really good tutorial of how to setup realvnc which outlined every step including windows firewall, everything, it still won't connect.

I tried with the tunnel on my other machine as well, no go. I have no idea why it won't work. I still don't understand fully how it works. Is it opening "tunneling" my whole network to the outside or just a given machine. When I issue the ping command from another computer what is it talking too, some address on the gogo6 server, or is it actually making it's way to my computer.

It's acting like it's taken my ip from Bell, and just assigned another "name" to it. There's no physical connection to the actual computers in my network, ie anything behind my router. It's like there is no tunnel. Then again maybe I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. When I do a ipconfig I can see everything there, but it's not accessable. I need some other test besides vnc but don't know what. Is there some simple command I can try to see if this laptop responds to "something" from the outside. I guess thats a ping, but is it pinging me here, or on the gogo6 server? Does that make any sense.

Glen

There's a web page you can access to test your vnc setup and of course it fails. The odd thing is, it lists the ip (my ip) as the address at Bell, it says nothing about the address from gogo6. It's like programs on my computer know nothing about the tunnel, even vnc says my "web" address is my local address, so confusing.

Last edited by Muskoka; 2013-04-24 at 11:01 PM.
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

On the status page in the client I see:

Virtual Tunneling Adapter : Local Area Connection 2
Tunnel Mode is Nat Traversal
Local Endpoint Address: 184.xxx.xxx.xxx That is my bell ip.
Remote Endpoint Address: 64.xxx.xxx.xxx Some address gogo6 is assigning
Server address is Montreal
Delegated User Domain: "myusername".broker.freenet6.net

The delegated user name is the ip address that I use in say vnc? I've tried with the name, and the numerical equivalent 64.xxx.xxx.xxx, neither work. The vnc test webpage only see's the 184.xxx.xxx.xxx address. In vnc itself it says my ip is my local 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. So at what point does the 64.86.88.116 come into play. My endpoint addersss is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx not 64.xxx.xxx.xxx?
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 08:27 AM
Veteran

When you tried the other computer, did you use anonymous login or your account? I suggested using anonymous because your addresses are tied to your account and if you try to log in with the account on a 2nd computer, I expect it won't work, as you're trying to assign the same addresses to more than one computer. So, use your account login on the W7 computer only and anonymous on XP and see what happens. Also, is your IPv6 subnet working, so that other computers on your network get IPv6 addresses. When you try to connect via IPv6, you have to use IPv6 addresses. Your W7 computer should have, as I mentioned earlier, a link local address that starts with FE80 and contains the MAC address, a MAC based subnet address and at least one random number address. Do you have those? If so, you want to work with the MAC based subnet address. To make it easier to work with that address, you could add it to the hosts file on the computer you're using to connect with. Then, try that XP computer (must be SP3 or later) and see if you can ping the IPv6 address while on your local LAN. If that works, make sure the client is running on the XP computer and take it elsewhere. Then verify you've got IPv6 running by connecting to one of those IPv6 only sites I mentioned earlier. Some locations, such as the Mississauga library, block the tunnel. Once you've verified you have working IPv6 at the other site, you can then try to ping your W7 computer with it's IPv6 address. When you're having problems setting up projects, such as yours, you have to isolate it into smaller pieces, which you can then individually verify.

BTW, I've found that delegated user name is not useful for reaching my network. Stick with the IPv6 address on the target computer. As I mentioned, you can add that address to the hosts file. That file exists on all your computers and you can edit it with a text editor. Edit that file on the XP computer to add the IPv6 address and name for your W7 computer. Once you've done that, you can use the name, rather than the long IPv6 address.

post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

James, I cannot open the ports needed for remote access. What is this tunnel supposed to do, re-direct around the locks Bell has on me. If that's the case it's not working. I can turn my firewall completely off, forward ports in my router, do a port scan, and there still all locked down. This tunnel isn't getting around anything?

Summary.

Gogo client running on Win7 laptop, connected, all looks ok.

Vnc server running, firewall adjusted by vnc, verified, looks ok.

Port forward done in router. What address am I forwarding, my 192.xxx.xxx.xxx?

Tried anonymous on Winxp laptop, made no difference.

Again, I can get vnc to connect locally no problem, so it's set up fine. The problem is the tunnel, is not getting around Bell. It's still not allowing my remote requests to get through.

Glen
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I just got it to work.......

I had to go to "Allow a program or feature through windows firewall" and tick both "private" and "public". Public is not ticked by default. As soon as I selected that and tried to connect with vnc the sign on box popped up. I have my Winxp laptop tethered to my phone, using it's data network, so everything must be good. I'm going to head to town today and use my buddies internet and see if I can still get it, don't see why it won't work. Thanks so much for all your help......

Glen

Just to add, I didn't have the gogo6 client running on the Winxp laptop.

Edit 2: Actually you do have to have the gogo client running on the client machine (connected anonymous). The icon wasn't in the task bar on my Winxp machine but it must have still been running, because when I physically closed it, I couldn't connect. As soon as I started the client again, the vnc connection works.
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 12:08 PM
Veteran

Glad to hear it all works now. I knew it likely would once you worked out the details. Be careful though, as I mentioned, some places may block the tunnel, like the Mississauga Library does. So, in addition to getting your setup to work, you now have IPv6 access to the Internet and your very own, personal, 4.7 billion, trillion static IPv6 addresses! Those should last you for a while. ;-)

post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
@JamesK.... Seriously???

If the OP is simply looking for Remote Access, you've gone into far, far too much detail of a setup 99.9% of us won't bother to use for a home LAN.
As it turned out, my suggestion was the only one that could have worked for him and he's now up & running with it.

post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 12:46 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Nice solution James.
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again James...

Went into town and connected to my buddies network, within a minute I was in my laptop at home. I hooked up a webcam to my Win7 laptop before I left, and it looked great from town.

Now I have to work on compiling gogo6 for the raspberry. I found a client for Android, gogodroid, but so far it hasn't connected to the gogo6 servers, just sits there trying to connect. I will update with any progress.

Glen
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 04:41 PM
Veteran

As I mentioned, I haven't any experience with the raspberry pi, but I do have a lot with Linux in general. I am aware of one issue with that client. What sort of problem are you having with it? As with Windows, start with anonymous and go from there.

post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

James, here's the error when I run....

sudo make

src/clientmsgsender.cc:145:17: error: expected primary-expression before ‘,’ token
src/clientmsgsender.cc:145:17: error: ‘_data’ was not declared in this scope
src/clientmsgsender.cc:145:17: error: ‘offsetof’ was not declared in this scope
src/clientmsgsender.cc:157:13: error: ‘pData’ was not declared in this scope
src/clientmsgsender.cc:161:13: error: ‘pData’ was not declared in this scope
src/clientmsgsender.cc:166:11: error: ‘pData’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [objs/clientmsgsender.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/gogo/gogoc-1_2-RELEASE/gogoc-messaging'
make[1]: *** [check-gogoc-messaging] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/gogo/gogoc-1_2-RELEASE/gogoc-tsp'
make: *** [all] Error 2

There's a bunch before this but this is where the errors start and stop.

I'm using this tutorial. It errors at the sudo make.

http://www.gogo6.com/profiles/blogs/...ogo6-client-on

I'm running this on the raspberry....

Raspbian “wheezy”
If you’re just starting out, this is the image we recommend you use. It’s a reference root filesystem from Alex and Dom, based on the Raspbian optimised version of Debian, and containing LXDE, Midori, development tools and example source code for multimedia functions.

Glen
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 09:42 PM
Veteran

That's the problem I experienced at shown in this thread in the gogo6 forum.

Here is the fix:

1. Install g++
2. Install openssl, libcrypto, libpthread, libopenssl-devel
3. Edit gogoc-1_2-RELEASE/gogoc-messaging/gogocmessaging/message.h
Add #include <stddef.h> above the line #include <pal.h>

I believe this problem occurred with a change in the gcc compiler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in