Remote access question - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm using the "Home Access" option in the gogo client which says it does IPv6 or IPv4. The program I use to ping on my Android phone is Fing. In the ip address box in Fing I put the "device name" as a prefix to my "delegated user domain" and away it goes. I'm not having any luck getting into my laptop though. It really shouldn't be this difficult, and probably isn't if you know what your doing . I'm definitely "seeing" my laptop from the outside, but that's about it so far.

Glen

What can I setup or run on my windows laptop as a real easy test to see what kind of access I can have (if that makes sense). I can ping from the outside, but so far nothing else. I need something simple to try, other than pinging. Shouldn't I be able to get access with Windows Remote Desktop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 09:32 PM
Veteran

^^^^
You might want to try an IPv6 port scan. You can do that at http://www6.ipv6.chappell-family.com.../ipscan-js.cgi.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #33 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok, did the port scans, all were green. Not what I want to see is it?

Glen

post #34 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 10:07 PM
Veteran

If it's all green, that means you haven't got any ports open, so you won't be able to access them. You'll have to configure your firewall to let in what you want. For example, on my computer here, I show port 22 (ssh) and 993 (imaps) open and everything else stealth. So, I could not, for example, use ftp or http, unless I opened those ports in my firewall, even if the servers were running. Open ports are shown in red.

post #35 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Trying to open port 5900 VNC and cannot get it open. Must be doing something wrong, don't know what ...yet.

Glen
post #36 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Sorry, I was assuming you were running a software firewall on your computer. This is where you have to open the ports. The hardware firewall/router will have no effect on what passes through the tunnel.

post #37 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

The only firewall I have running is Windows firewall. There's a rule for VNC and I can change it's settings, makes no difference to the port scans. If I make a new rule and open port 5900 the port scan shows red. I still can't access my computer though with the vnc server running.

The tunnel is not blocked because I can still ping my laptop from my phone. Something is getting in the way of vnc.

Glen
post #38 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 07:53 AM
Veteran

When you open the port, can you see it in the port scan? Since it's not a standard port, you'll have to specify it in one of those boxes. Also, try opening a port for one of the standard ones, such as 22, to see if it shows. Try turning off the firewall temporarily, to see if it makes a difference.

post #39 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I did try turning off the firewall for a minute, still couldn't get through. I think I need a better test bed. I'mll going to fire up my old clunker laptop that has windows XP on it, tether the data connection on my phone to it, and see how I make out, windows to windows. If I can get that to work then I know it's something with Android, or perhaps just my phone. I have a Asus tablet I could use as well, but the phone is the only device with data.

Glen
post #40 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 08:18 AM
Veteran

What happens with the port scan when you turn off the firewall? If you can't see an open port with the scanner, you won't be able to connect with it.

post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

With the firewall off port 5900 (vnc) is yellow, port 3389 (Microsoft RDP) is open (red), still can't get in even with Windows remote desktop app.

Glen

I've got my XP laptop tethered to my phone for internet access. I can ping my Windows 7 laptop with the gogo tunnel all day long, but that's all I can do. No Windows remote desktop, no Vnc, not even ssh. Locally, I have no problem. With vnc locally, when I hit the connect button it connects instantly.

When I check my network connections on the gogo laptop I have:

My home netwrok, Access type is Internet, "local area connection"

The gogo is listed as Unidentified network, public network, no internet access, "local area connection 2"

Does that look right?

Last edited by Muskoka; 2013-04-24 at 10:02 AM.
post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Yellow means the port is not blocked, but for some reason not fully open. For example, if I open a port that doesn't have a server running, I would get a yellow. Try testing directly from one computer to the other, over your local network. If you can't get in that way, you won't be able to get in from the Internet. Do your testing one step at a time, to see where the problem is. However, at the moment, it appears your problem is somewhere within your Windows 7 computer.

BTW, does your raspberry pi get an IPv6 address on your subnet? If so, you can access it directly with better methods than VNC. For example, if I want to remotely run a graphical app on linux, I use ssh with the -X flag to get to a computer and then issue the command for the app.. This then allows the app to use the graphical interface on the remote computer. To do this with Windows on the remote computer, you'd have to install something like Xming and also putty. If the remote computer was Linux, it would just work, without having to install anything else. Ssh also provides full encryption, which is something VNC doesn't support by itself.

Quote:
The gogo is listed as Unidentified network, public network, no internet access, "local area connection 2"
I have found the displayed info doesn't work right on Windows. Check the gogoClient status tab to see the relevant addresses. Of course, if you can reach an IPv6 only site, as you did with the port scan, you know the IPv6 tunnel is working. You will have to check with other computers on your network to see if they also have IPv6 available. You can do this with the ipconfig (ifconfig in Linux) command or just try opening a browser to an IPv6 only site.

post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I might have found something? My Windows 7 laptop connects to ipv6 sites only when I have the gogo client running. It's ipv4 only, when the gogo client is not running.

My Windows XP laptop when connected to my phone (tethered) or connected to my home network (Bell) is ipv4 only, not matter what I do. It says it's unable to contact the ipv6 test server I'm trying on the net for testing.

Do I need to run the gogo client on my Windows XP laptop as well? My phone is with Telus. Or does it not make any difference.

Glen

Although I can still ping my Windows 7 laptop, it has the gogo client running.
post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

James would this have anything to do with the tunnel mode in gogo client. Doesn't seem to matter what I pick it's always (Nat Traversal).
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 04:55 PM
Veteran

The tunnel is only available when that client is running. If you have routing and router advertisements enabled, other computers on your network should also have IPv6 addresses. If you're away from home with the XP computer, it will also need that client on it to access IPv6. However, it can probably get by with an anonymous connection, to avoid conflict with your static addresses assigned to your account. When you ping, do you see an IPv4 or IPv6 address come back? Normally if both IPv4 and IPv6 are available at the destination, you should get back IPv6 address. However, you can force ping to use either by using ping -4 or ping -6 commands.

When you're behind a firewall that uses NAT, it will always use NAT transversal, where it uses UDP for the tunnel. If you're connected directly to a public IPv4 address, as I am with my home network, then it uses IP protocol 41, instead of UDP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in