Second router issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Second router issue

Guys, needs some assistance. I have searched here and elsewhere, not having any luck.

I have a Bell Netgear Turbo hub for my internet access. All the ethernet ports are used. I have 2 solar charge controllers that I want to hook up to my systems network, they are cabled connections. I have a Asus and D-Link router for remote connections.

What I'm trying to do is connect either the Asus or Dlink router to the Turbo hub through ethernet, and connect the charge controllers to either of the remote units, also using ethernet.

Can I not just run a cable from one of the remote routers to the Bell turbo hub and access the charge controllers. Basically I want the remote router to talk to the turbo hub so I can access my charge controllers from any computer in the system. I have tried giving the remote routers static ip's, with dhcp disabled, and I'm not getting anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 05:24 PM
Veteran

You don't need a 2nd router. All you need is a switch to provide more ports. If necessary, you can use a router as a switch, by not using the WAN port. You will also want to disable things like DHCP server in it. Regardless, switches are cheap these days.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I tried a hub and it didn't work. I have an older Linksys 5 port hub and I connected that to the Turbo hub using both the uplink port and just one of the regular ports (different tests) and the turbo hub does not see the linksys hub connected. It still does not see either of the routers. When I check under connected devices all I see is my phone, tablet and linux box. It never sees the switch or routers. I've tried to ping different connections, and it times out all the time. I have no problem when the charge controllers are connected to the turbo hub directly (obviously), so for some reason the turbo hub in not detecting anything but computers, not the routers or hub.

Still at a loss....Thanks for the response.

Glen

Edit. Isn't the 5 port hub only for connecting multiple "computers". That's not what I need. I don't want the hub, router, switch connected to a computer, I want them (one of them that works) connected to the turbo hub only. So, the charge controllers are hard wired to a router / hub / switch and that is connected to the turbo hub, not a computer. Hope that makes sense. I want my computer to access the charge controllers through the turbo hub / router, switch, hub.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Got it working, sorry to bother. Disconnected everything, rebooted everything, connected the 5 port hub up again and it's working.

Glen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Good to know. Thanks for the update.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Got it working
You probably discovered the hub has an uplink port (may be switchable) which is used when connecting to another hub or switch. Newer switches handle that automagically and gigabit gear doesn't even worry about it. If the hub did not have an uplink port, you could obtain the same thing with a crossover cable.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Good to hear you got it working, but so you now, a plain switch will not be "seen" as a network device, just the devices connected downstream of it.

There is a way of turning a router into a switch/access point. Some have a one click option for that in their set-up. Without that option, you can do the same, by disabling provider, disabling its DHCP, setting it to an IP address within the range of your primary router, but outside of its DHCP, and connecting a one of the LAN ports to the main router (a crossover cable is not really needed for modern routers).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I didn't connect to the uplink port. I just use the other ports and it works fine, now. I do have a Dlink DI-704UP router, might play with it again and see how it goes. I tried the other day and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right, sooner or later I'll get it. For now the hub is working fine.

Glen

Edit: Got everything working with the Dlink router. Set a static ip for the lan 192.168.0.255 (just outside Turbo Hub DHCP range), turned off the DHCP, connected the Dlink to a open port on the Bell Turbo Hub, not the wan port, connected my laptop to the Dlink, I have internet access and can ping everything connected to the Turbo Hub. I would say I have success.

Last edited by Muskoka; 2013-04-20 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in